PDA

View Full Version : Trust an auto for HD/Duty use?

Dos Cylindros
10-28-10, 14:55
I have the funds for a nice new shotgun and have my sights set on a Benelli M4 or an FN SLP. Primary use will be for HD for me & the wife. Some don't trust autos , what say you guys?

DMR
10-28-10, 15:34
As a nobody I recommend a quality auto, with good ammunition for general HD shotgun duty. I would not feel bad at all using my 11-87 or 930 for social duty or the pricier Benellis. For police duty unless I have a need for less lethals and breaching ammo I would feel the same(although I am not LE so take it for what it's worth)

If I was going to live in the woods for months on end and have to feed my shotgun just any old crap I could find I'll go with a pump. Sort of like playing Army:p

Auto's take many of the man in the loop problems out of using your shotgun, short stroking ect. They are not perfect and a well trained shotgunner can run a pump day in and day out. That said the number of manipulations required to run a pump well make it a better tool for someone willing to spend the time to master it.

For those that don't train alot on the shotgun get a semi:D

Nevermiss
10-28-10, 17:18
I have shot my FN SLP Mk1 for two years in 3 Gun competitions with "0" malfunctions. I have it available as one of my home defense options.

lt211
10-28-10, 19:51
I have shot my FN SLP Mk1 for two years in 3 Gun competitions with "0" malfunctions. I have it available as one of my home defense options.

Nevermiss why did you go with the FN SLP Mk1 instead of the 18 Inch, 6+1rd with Ghost ring sights? Was it availability issues or preference. I handled the Mk1 at the gun store and really liked the platform and sights but they didn't have the 18" to handle. little longer but 1 more round, or shorter with one less round and ghost ring sight?Tough decision, anyone can assist I would appreciate it. I have an early Benelli H&K M1 and I am thinking of selling it for funding to put towards the FN SLP.

jhurt
10-28-10, 22:27
2 of mine are autos. A mossberg 930 and a Browning Auto-5 light twenty. I've never had a single malfunction out of either. I'd say after about 1,000 rounds (all types and brands) from the 930 i trust it. The Browning- nary a malfunction either (probably 300 or so rounds, all dove hunting or clay pigeon). I guess I'd trust it if I had to...but it only comes out on special occasions once every few years.

travistheone
10-28-10, 22:38
For the first time today, I had my 930 fail to fire. Pin didn't even ding the primer. Multiple times on various ammuntions with a clean(ish) gun.

I only trusted my 870 before today, and will continue to keep it next to my bed.

Dos Cylindros
10-28-10, 22:43
Thanks for the replies so far, I am interested to keep up the debate. I am really leaning toward the FN SLP from all the great reports I have read, and it does not hurt that it is significantly less than the Benelli M4.

ChicagoTex
10-28-10, 23:44
Nevermiss why did you go with the FN SLP Mk1 instead of the 18 Inch, 6+1rd with Ghost ring sights? Was it availability issues or preference.

He's a 3-gunner, he did it for the extra 2 rounds worth of magazine tube.

Pretty much all 3 gunners are running shotguns with at least 8 round tubes (it saves them time on reloading). Unless you want the mag tube sticking out further than the barrel, that means going with a 20-22" barrel.

Also many three-gunners prefer a simple bead to a ghost-ring sight arrangement, which is somewhat slower at close range (where most three-gun and HD shotguns are employed).

If you do elect to buy a new M4 today note that recent 922r restrictions have them shipping with 4-round magazine tubes (the rest of the length is just dead tube) and to convert it back to it's original, full 7+1 capacity will require that you replace several parts with aftermarket american made equivalents, including a brand new mag tube. So after you've already dropped $1600 for the shotgun, you're in for about another hundred to de-castrate it.

ETA: note also that there are no factory semi-auto shotguns being sold right now with a method to mount a tactical light from the factory. This is absolutely A #1 essential in an HD gun, so be sure to look into aftermarket methods for mounting on whichever gun you choose and consider that as part of the cost of the gun before you buy. You don't want to send the rough equivalent of 9 9mms at a time downrange without knowing for DAMN SURE what you're shooting at.

genegoesfast
10-28-10, 23:53
I'm not sure about over all reliability but a saiga is a very adaptable option.

Dos Cylindros
10-29-10, 00:18
ETA: note also that there are no factory semi-auto shotguns being sold right now with a method to mount a tactical light from the factory. This is absolutely A #1 essential in an HD gun, so be sure to look into aftermarket methods for mounting on whichever gun you choose and consider that as part of the cost of the gun before you buy. You don't want to send the rough equivalent of 9 9mms at a time downrange without knowing for DAMN SURE what you're shooting at.

The FN SLP has a tri rail mount that you can purchase to mount a light. About $123 which still makes it significantly cheaper than a Benelli M4.

ChicagoTex
10-29-10, 00:32
The FN SLP has a tri rail mount that you can purchase to mount a light. About $123 which still makes it significantly cheaper than a Benelli M4.

Indeed.

Aimpro just released a similar rail for the Mossberg 930 aswell, similarly priced.

ST911
10-29-10, 14:21
Semi-auto SGs may or may not function with low base, or low recoil "tactical" loads. If you use them, verify function with your chosen ammunition.

ChicagoTex
10-29-10, 15:10
verify function with your chosen ammunition.

You should really do this with ANY defensive weapon, but it certainly goes double for semi-autos.

Nevermiss
10-29-10, 22:04
He's a 3-gunner, he did it for the extra 2 rounds worth of magazine tube.

Pretty much all 3 gunners are running shotguns with at least 8 round tubes (it saves them time on reloading). Unless you want the mag tube sticking out further than the barrel, that means going with a 20-22" barrel.

Also many three-gunners prefer a simple bead to a ghost-ring sight arrangement, which is somewhat slower at close range (where most three-gun and HD shotguns are employed).

Thank you Chicago Tex. I couldn't have said it better myself. I also run a Nordic +1 extension when I can.

I also purchased the Tri-rail extension and I run a TLR-1 on this when used for home defense. It does add a bit of weight up front.

arizona98tj
10-29-10, 23:55
I have a FNH SLP Mk1 also. I do not participate in 3 gun competitions but I visit Front Sight a couple of times a year and the SLP made the trip this past spring. It was night and day difference between it and my Benelli SuperNova (which is now the backup gun). :D

I splurged on mine a bit and put an EOTech optic on it. Love it! It made my last tactical training class an absolute joy.

Here are a couple of write-ups from my site regarding the Mk1 and EOTech.

FNH SLP Mk1 shotgun (http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/fnh/slpmk1/slpmk1-1.htm)

EOTech XPS2 optic (http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/eotech/xps2-1.htm)

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/eotech/xps2-10.jpg

g5m
10-30-10, 01:18
I've had 1100's that worked fine. Had an 11-87 that was totally unreliable, even after lots of dollars trying to fix it.
Be sure whatever you get that you run a lot of rounds through it to be certain of it's reliability.
Or, buy an 870 and go to a shotgun class to become confident with it.

And, FWIW, Fidel Castro when he was still fighting in the mountains told a reporter that he preferred autos for his men as they could continue to shoot them even when wounded. He preferred Brownings.
That was back in the late 1950's.

Odd that I remember him being reported very favorably by the press.

Belmont31R
10-30-10, 01:29
;)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/DSC0099912.jpg

arizona98tj
10-30-10, 10:34
5.56 mags for a shotgun? :confused:

DMR
10-30-10, 11:52
5.56 mags for a shotgun? :confused:

Looks like het mom I ran into a Marine with a cool shotgun photo. Not a this is what I carry on patrol every day photo. Hence he has his M-4 mags.

Dos Cylindros
10-30-10, 18:41
I have a FNH SLP Mk1 also. I do not participate in 3 gun competitions but I visit Front Sight a couple of times a year and the SLP made the trip this past spring. It was night and day difference between it and my Benelli SuperNova (which is now the backup gun). :D

I splurged on mine a bit and put an EOTech optic on it. Love it! It made my last tactical training class an absolute joy.

Here are a couple of write-ups from my site regarding the Mk1 and EOTech.

FNH SLP Mk1 shotgun (http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/fnh/slpmk1/slpmk1-1.htm)

EOTech XPS2 optic (http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/eotech/xps2-1.htm)

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/eotech/xps2-10.jpg

I saw your write ups when searching around on google. Very nice, and one of the reasons I am leaning toward the SLP. I don't know if I want the 22" or the 18.5", as I already have a Franchi for bird and clay. I will probably end up going with the 18.5", and down the road throwing an aimpoint H1 on the tip pic rail.

ThirdWatcher
10-30-10, 19:29

Surefire does make a forend for the Remington 1100/11-87: http://www.surefire.com/Remington110011-87

I sure wish they would make one for the FN SLP. (I'm currently using an X-300 attached to the tri-rail on my SLP.)

arizona98tj
10-30-10, 20:38
Glad to hear you read the write-ups.....I hope they were informative. Regardless of barrel length, you will like the SLP. Some year, FNH might even get around to rolling out that pistol gripped stock model....they've had it on their web site for a while.