PDA

View Full Version : What to do......?

blackscot
07-27-07, 09:46
I shot entirely handguns for many years until starting to get involved in 3-gun type matches a few years back, when I bought the plain-jane 870 pictured below as a cheap way to get into the game. For a brief period I also had it fitted out for home defense, but then decided on other arrangements to fill that role, so the shotty is now a strictly for-fun gun.

But with a couple of limitations. The plain-bead front sight has always been too low for my point-of-aim when naturally mounted on the gun, so I have to scrunch down on it for any accuracy such as longer range slug shots, which is not only awkward but creates a pretty nasty slap on the wrongly-positoned cheekbone. I know there are some aftermarket front sights that sit higher and could fix that problem.

But not another problem, which is that the cylinder choke doesn't produce a tight enough group to knock down some types of steel targets at matches where birdshot only is mandated (no 00 allowed). I could (1) have the barrel customized to accept a screw-in choke, or (2) replace the barrel with one having the tighter-grouping improved cylinder. An advantage of solution 2 is that I could also get a barrel with rifle sights, thereby solving the first problem. But not.....

....the fact that I'm going to hit 50 next year, and frankly at this point, am not that keen on getting kicked around by high-recoiling weapons. Yeah I know -- call me wuss -- but that's how it is. So yet another option would be to replace the 870 altogether with some kind of semi-auto that would be a little more shoulder friendly. Obviously considerably more $$$ needed to go that route though.

As the final consideration to factor in, I'm not at all a dedicated 3-gunner, but would just like the few-times-a-year option of showing up at a couple of really well run venues in my area. So having a high-performace match shotgun is not critical for me, but at the same time I want something that is going to do the job effectively, and preferrably in an enjoyable manner.

I'm mostly just venting here while pondering these matters, but any insights would be appreciated -- thanks.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/870/factory_stock.jpg

rhino
07-27-07, 10:57
A lot of people are going to recommend Benellis to you. In my opinion, the felt recoil is about the same as a pump gun. Most of them work well, but it's not a fun gun to shoot.

I would get either:

1. Winchester SX2 Practical, preferably Mk I with the rifle sights (and fold down rear), or the Mk II, which has a ghost ring rear.

2. Remington 1100 "Tactical" (current name) or "Competition Master" (old name). The difference between the two is that the "Tactical" is gray and the "Comp Master" was OD green.

Both of the above are gas operated and easy on the shoulder. The Winchester has been demonstrated to cycle faster than the Benellis M1S90 (an article in an issue of Front Sight magazine a few years ago had some side by side testing with timers), and the felt recoil is a lot more manageable.

I shoot a modestly customized Remington 1100 that was orginally manufactured as a bird huntin' gun back in 1976. I love it, but if I were buying a new gun either for practical shooting games or for defensive use, I'd get the Winchester SX2 Practical Mk I.

Gunfixr
07-27-07, 12:06
I think I have exactly the same model. I am considering sending the barrel off to Briley for choke tube fitting, and maybe installing an internal recoil reducer in the stock (I'll do that myself). If you don't go the auto route, it's an idea.

Trim2L
07-27-07, 17:35
Blackscot,

I absolutely feel your pain, I three gunned with a pump and it completely wore me out. You can upgrade the barrel but you will still be stuck with a gun that isn't much fun to shoot and is a competitive disadvantage.

I recently bought an SX2 MK1 and really like it. Winchester discontinued the "Practical" line and switched it to FN as the SLP MK1(22" w/ rifle sights) and MK2 (18" w/ ghost rings). The SLP comes with 2 chokes and two pistons (for light and heavy loads) and a 3" chamber. If you look around you can find the SX2 Practical on close out because officially it has been discontinued. Chokes are $15 from Browning so tuning it to your shooting stile is fairly economical.

As a point of reference, a couple of boxes of 12 gage through my pump used to turn my shoulder purple, I shot at least 200 rounds through the SX2 on Sunday without even a slight bruise.

blackscot
07-30-07, 06:00
Thanks for the good info guys!

A very knowledgable good friend of mine said to me in effect "go Winchester if you're thinking semi-auto". The more specific info here on various models helps me a lot to evaluate this approach.

Robb Jensen
07-30-07, 06:04
As stated already the Winchester SX2 and it's clone (FN SLP) are very nice and very reliable with lot less kick than a Benelli. I use a Benelli M1 Super with rifle type stock (an old HK imported one). Mine is a little finicky with some loads. The load that works 100% in my Benelli is the Winchester SuperSport No 8s doing 1300fps. http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotdetail.aspx?symbol=AASC128&bn=6&use=10

Some guys are using Beretta Extrema IIs highly modified for 3gun as well.

blackscot
07-30-07, 06:07
......a lot less kick than a Benelli.......

Is the Benelli recoil activated (versus gas)?

Robb Jensen
07-30-07, 06:33
Is the Benelli recoil activated (versus gas)?

Yes, Benelli calls is inertia operated. It's stays very clean, but has more felt recoil. I'm going to be sending my bolt out to Benny Hill in Corpus Christi TX. He can take an ounce or more off of the bolt to make it cycle faster and with less recoil.

blackscot
07-30-07, 07:49
Yes, Benelli calls is inertia operated. It's stays very clean, but has more felt recoil......

Better reliability than gas?

Robb Jensen
07-30-07, 08:36
Better reliability than gas?

Yes if running full power shotgun shells.

blackscot
07-31-07, 06:06
Well, I ended up just getting a 20-inch, rifle-sighted, improved cylinder replacement barrel for the 870. Ordered it from Cabelas yesterday, on sale for under $150 with shipping included.

Going the semi-auto route seemed to be opening up a whole new arena that I just don't want to take-on trying to figure out right now. The 870 barrel upgrade seemed the most straightforward solution for me as a "casual 3-gunner". I also think the recoil will be less unpleasant using a properly positioned cheek weld that the higher-up rifle sights will allow.

Once the new barrel arrives, I plan on doing a little comparison testing between it and the original 18-inch cylinder barrel, looking for differences in spread using various loads. I'll try to take some pics and post in a new thread, hopefully sometime next week.

Thanks again everybody for the input/guidance.