PDA

View Full Version : using dogs to attack tanks

500grains
10-29-10, 13:20
This story made me sad.

http://www.sciencepunk.com/v5/gallery/dog_mine_001.jpg

Anti-tank dog

During the Second World War, the Russian Army came up with an ingenious defence against German tanks. Starving dogs would have bombs strapped to them, and then sent toward the enemy vehicles. The dogs had been trained to retrieve food from under Russian tanks, and the idea was that they would dash under the German tanks, seeking food, and in doing so activate a large wooden trigger on their backs. Unfortunately, having been trained using Soviet tanks, the dogs of war much preferred running under Russian tanks. Added to that, the noise of the battlefield confused and frightened them, culminating in an entire troupe of bomb-dogs running amok in a battlefield, endangering everyone and forcing the retreat of the Russian forces. Although credited with the destruction of over 300 Nazi tanks, the dogs were retired from service shortly after.

http://www.sciencepunk.com/2008/05/five-stupid-weapons-that-were-actually-made/

GermanSynergy
10-29-10, 13:29
Sad indeed, considering they could have used members of the Straf battalions (whom the Soviets used to clear minefields by hand) for this type of operation.

Alric
10-29-10, 13:47
Sad indeed, considering they could have used members of the Straf battalions (whom the Soviets used to clear minefields by hand) for this type of operation.

Are you really implying that it would have been somehow better to use humans for this?

GermanSynergy
10-29-10, 13:50
I'm surprised, given the level of ruthlessness and sadism of the Soviets towards their own men, that they did not opt to use straf troops for such an operation. Training canines for such an operation was no doubt costly and time consuming, and in 1941-42 period, the USSR was in dire need of both. The Soviets utilized straf troops for other suicide missions, such as charging German positions en masse or clearing minefield by hand, and
I was simply wondering why the Soviets opted to expend the time, resources, etc when they clearly had little compunction sending entire army groups off to be destroyed in the wake of the German advance. Using humans or dogs for such missions is deplorable.

This is what I wished to convey.

Are you really implying that it would have been somehow better to use humans for this?

Alric
10-29-10, 14:01
Thanks for the clarification. I agree, it is deplorable.

Cagemonkey
10-29-10, 16:18
Thanks for the clarification. I agree, it is deplorable.I heard the dogs couldn't make a distinction between Soviet and German tanks and this was the reason for the end of the practice. Its interesting to note, the Germans were appalled by the tactic.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-29-10, 17:35
Clearing mines by hand is one thing, clearing them by foot, at full sprint is another.

mr_smiles
10-29-10, 19:56
Maybe I'm the only one, but I think it's ingenious. It's a true GBU. Only part that would suck is if it decided to come back :D

It was a war that killed probably over 100,000,000 people intentionally. So the idea of dogs being killed isn't that disturbing when you compare the two.

Thomas M-4
10-29-10, 20:08
Considering Germany sent kids to knock out T-34's with panzerfaust and bicycles. :suicide:

Total WAR.

Dunderway
10-29-10, 20:32
Maybe I'm the only one, but I think it's ingenious. It's a true GBU. Only part that would suck is if it decided to come back :D

It was a war that killed probably over 100,000,000 people intentionally. So the idea of dogs being killed isn't that disturbing when you compare the two.

Seriously. If my (our) country was being invaded, I would sacrifice every dog on the planet to have a chance at stopping foreign tanks from entering my city without a second thought.

I would air-drop cats and take shelter.:D

kwelz
10-29-10, 22:39
I would air-drop cats and take shelter.:D

Even in war there must be rules.

I am a huge cat lover, even bordering on Crazy cat guy.

But I can think of nothing scarier than a bunch of pissed off felines running around LOL.

chadbag
10-29-10, 23:18

Why are they called Straf troops by the Soviets? Straf is a German root (for punishment -- Strafe)

Just wondering.

mr_smiles
10-30-10, 00:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb-21GL1eGk

I knew I saw a video a while back about this, here's one above. Not the one I saw but gives an idea.

Sucks for the handler, I'm sure if you had your dog long enough you bonded with it.

Makes you wonder why they didn't use something like the type 99 the Japanese had, at least that way they had a chance of recovering the dog instead of having to train a new one.