PDA

View Full Version : Arc'teryx leaf gear... Charlie Pack??

Bob-USMC
10-29-10, 15:26
I have one of these outstanding packs, and as the years have passed I've found numerous uses for my charlie pack. The thing is, I definitely abuse the hell out of my gear, and I while my charlie pack is holding up to it, I know nothing lasts forever.
Much to my dismay, Arc'teryx discontinued this model some time ago; I spoke with an arc representative on the phone and he said they tend to "reinvent" themselves ever so often to stay competitive.
I totally understand the need to expand your product line in a competitive market, but why put this stellar piece of gear out to pasture??
In the short term, I'm trying to find out if there is anyone out there who is looking to sell a used charlie in good condition, or find a retailer that has stockpiled some.
In the long term, I'd like to see if members of the LE/military community and all the outdoor enthusiasts can start a "back by popular demand" campaign.:confused:
Seems a little far-fetched, but it's worth mentioning.
Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

91Bravo
11-10-10, 13:33
I have a Charlie and a Tango Arcteyrx pack recently purchased off Ebay. They are called "USMC Assault Pack", and "Recon Assault Pack" now manufactured by Propper. Ebay is now the only source for these that I can find.

I am like a woman buying shoes. I own a collection of packs and have yet to find an ideal one.

Both are comfortable and bombproof but the Tango/Recon Assault is too heavy for it's volume even with the radio pouch and panel stripped off. The Charlie/Assault is too small to fit backup winter clothes and basic hiking survival gear.

TehLlama
11-10-10, 13:40
I have a pair of the Propper USMC packs (one issued, one personally owned), and while they are a good pack, I am starting to really prefer the ATS RAID2 and Tactical Tailor Operator line alternatives - my latter two have taken place of the others except for needless training abuse.

militarymoron
11-10-10, 15:47
i found the arcteryx blade 21 (also discontinued) to be a better overall pack than the charlie (for my uses). i'd look at the blade 24 if i were looking to replace both the charlie and the blade 21.

Bob-USMC
11-23-10, 15:37
We'll, that is a tad discouraging. I'm just trying to find another one since it's what I'm used to... Alas, time to adapt and overcome >=D

VMI-MO
11-23-10, 15:54
Solid built pack.

I am not a huge fan because I usually am wearing the pack with armor which is not a very good setup.

PJ