PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good choice?

184SFS
10-29-10, 21:18
Ok, I did a search & kept getting an error so I will post my question here.....I am building an AR upper for use in my training classes. This rifle will be used & abused.....I decided on the Spike's Tactical 16" Mid-Length LE Upper with Magpul MOE Mid-Length Handguards.....but I have a concern with the MOE Handguards, will they be able to with-stand the abuse? They will get hot, cold & everything in between! I plan on running the Angle Fore-grip & weapon light on them. I'm looking for anything to put my mind at ease with the handguards.......

aflin
10-29-10, 21:33
With the MOE handguards, there is always a inherent possibilty of melting. I have personally seen it happen with DPMS "Glacier Guards", which are wildly out of Mil-Spec (Colt Handguards). However, I have yet to see one MOE handguard melt nor heard of any. So long you don't put 8 or 9 mags dumps, you'll be fine.

maddawg5777
10-29-10, 21:54
Magpul makes great products, so i doubt they will melt. but like aflin said dont just go to the range a do mag dumps all day and ull be ok.(if u can afford to do mag dumps all day send me some ammo lol) also glad to see anoth 3p0x1 on the forum!

CAG - 516
10-29-10, 21:56
Yea ive never heard of any of the MOE handguards melting at all.

Could there be the possibility it could happen, yea im sure its possible but i wouldnt worry about it.

I love Magpul products but not a big fan of their handguards, i guess its personal preference.

I like them usually when its a full Magpul build using all Magpul furniture (grip, stock, foregrip, handguards, BUIS, etc).

Iraqgunz
10-30-10, 01:46
Even the smartest of people can break stuff. I have MOE handguards on my wifes carbine and there were no issues shooting it. Of course I wasn't doing mag dumps either. They also have aluminum liners in them. For a basic lightweight carbine they are just fine.

If you plan on going Full Metal Retard maybe not so much.

socalav
10-30-10, 11:10
I cant remember where i saw it (i think youtube) but there was a stress test for heat with the MOE handguards and the MBUS sights (on top of gas block) and they did not melt even after heavy Automatic fire. So i wouldnt worry about it. Magpul makes a great product and should hold up no problem.

Stickman
10-30-10, 11:23
With the MOE handguards, there is always a inherent possibilty of melting.

Especially if you leave them directly in a fire.... On a more serious note, the Magpul MOE handguards aren't magic, but are high quality and not going to melt on you. I know guys who are using them on their LE duty carbines without any trouble, and I've kicked and stepped on them in addition to typical shooting without breaking anything.

To compare them to cheap plastic handguards is like comparing McDonalds to a good steak house. They are both food, but one is much better.

Stickman
10-30-10, 11:27
I plan on running the Angle Fore-grip & weapon light on them. I'm looking for anything to put my mind at ease with the handguards.......

Not sure if it puts your mind at ease, but here is a picture of one of mine. This one is all BCM, and uses a 16" LW barrel, MOE handguards, AFG, and is wearing a Streamlight in this image.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BCM/CTML0975-1024-Stick.jpg

.... and one without.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BCM/868W1373-1024-stick.jpg

payj
10-30-10, 12:45
I think the magpul moe will do just fine. I also think you picked a good rifle upper too.

usmcvet
10-30-10, 13:05
I think if you use it like a chain gun you an screw anything up. My MOE hand guards are GTG and they have held up to quite a few mag dumps while checking out my Battle Comp.:laugh:

Caeser25
10-30-10, 13:19
Not sure if it puts your mind at ease, but here is a picture of one of mine. This one is all BCM, and uses a 16" LW barrel, MOE handguards, AFG, and is wearing a Streamlight in this image.

.... and one without.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BCM/868W1373-1024-stick.jpg

How did you get into my safe and take a picture w/o my knowledge? Are you moonlighting as a ninja ? :)

184SFS
11-04-10, 00:12
I think I'm going a different route that the MagPul MOE handguards. I'm looking at going with the Spike's Tactical 16" Mid-Length LE Upper & getting their lo-pro gas block. For the hand guards I'm really considering the VTAC Extreme Battlerail & here's my reasoning behind this.....I'm 6'6" so I have a bit of reach on me, I plan on running an EOTech w/magnifier on the upper as well as a MagPul AFG with a weapon light; I am planning on going with MagPul MBUIS sights. With the Extreme Battlerail I have a solid top rail for the EOTech & Magnifier if the receiver is to cramped. Plus with the Extreme Battlerail I can still choose where I want & how long I need the rails. The rifle build is for a practical/light weight rifle that can be used for LE or Practical purposes, so I am open to ideas.

DHart
11-04-10, 02:59
I think I'm going a different route that the MagPul MOE handguards. I'm looking at going with the Spike's Tactical 16" Mid-Length LE Upper & getting their lo-pro gas block. For the hand guards I'm really considering the VTAC Extreme Battlerail & here's my reasoning behind this.....I'm 6'6" so I have a bit of reach on me, I plan on running an EOTech w/magnifier on the upper as well as a MagPul AFG with a weapon light; I am planning on going with MagPul MBUIS sights. With the Extreme Battlerail I have a solid top rail for the EOTech & Magnifier if the receiver is to cramped. Plus with the Extreme Battlerail I can still choose where I want & how long I need the rails. The rifle build is for a practical/light weight rifle that can be used for LE or Practical purposes, so I am open to ideas.

Personally, I like the additional options that you are afforded by the lo-pro gas block. I have a 14.5" and 16" LW, both BCM middys, each with the 11" VTAC Xtreme hand guard. And I like them a lot! The additional "out front" real estate is nice (I'm 6"1" with suitably long arms as well) for stability and to minimize barrel shadow with use of a light. So far, I'm shooting them with irons. At some point I'm sure I'll pick up an Aimpoint, but I'm kind of liking the "minimalist" approach with the irons for now and learning to shoot with them well.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/M4%20Rifles/BCMMid-16LW.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/M4%20Rifles/BCMMid-145.jpg

Do keep in mind that with this hand guard, a number of repeated mag dumps in rapid succession may urge you to glove the forward hand, although this need is mitigated to a degree with the use of the AFG.

184SFS
11-04-10, 03:46
Thanks DHart, this is exactly what I was needing to know......I was planning on going with the 11" VTAC Extreme as well, seeing your setup has made me feel great about my decision.

DHart
11-04-10, 04:11
Thanks DHart, this is exactly what I was needing to know......I was planning on going with the 11" VTAC Extreme as well, seeing your setup has made me feel great about my decision.

184SFS... glad I could be of help. Lastly, you may well be perfectly served by the Spikes offering, but you might also compare that to the BCM route... it's a choice I doubt you would ever regret. May be a little bit more expensive, though.

500grains
11-04-10, 09:34
Well even if the Magpul MOE handguards melt (and I am not saying they will), it only costs 30 bucks to replace them.

184SFS
01-04-11, 07:12
ok, since I last posted there has been some changes.....as always! I didn't go with MOE Handguards, but instead I went with the VLTOR CASV-M & YHM Hooded Front Flip Sight Tower. Now I was wondering if someone could do me a huge favor? Can someone get a picture of the upper with the MBUIS rear sight in place, I need to know how many slots it uses & measurements as well.....I'm wondering if I can machine the CASV-M's spine just enough to put the MBUIS on it or if I must go with a Troy.

jklaughrey
01-04-11, 08:03
I would just go with a Troy rear and call it good. Magpul Mbus are decent but a Troy is about as robust as you will see. Personally I like a fixed rear/FSB on my rifles, but to each their own.