PDA

View Full Version : AAR- Patrol Rifle Concepts (GCC) Oct 23/24, Phoenix, AZ

Iraqgunz
10-30-10, 04:07
I recently had the experience of taking a Patrol Rifle Concepts Course that was being offered through Glendale Community College (Arizona) under their Administration of Justice Studies program.

This course was recommended to me by another M4C member who also attended. If you are a resident of Arizona then it's easy to enroll and the cost is more than reasonable (121.00). Many civilians complain about lack of training due to restrictions and this course is pretty much open to anyone.

The instructor is a former Marine and has been with Maricopa County S.O for 20 years. Most of that time was spent on the SWAT team. He is also on the AZPOST Board as well.

I was unsure as to what to expect, but needless to say it was a very good course. I am not going to go into total detail, but will instead provide a brief overview and some observations.

During the course I used my BCM 11.5" SBR build, with AAC suppressor, Magpul BUS set, and an Aimpoint. I was also equipped with a Surefire M952V and stubby TD VFG. My sling was a Vickers padded combat sling. I used my G19 w/ Surefire X200 and Safariland 6004 holster as well as my Blade Tech holster. My chest rig consisted of a Diamondbacktactical LV3 Rack with some extra pouches attached. One was my blow out kit, IR strobe, smoke grenade and a GP pouch. I used all Magpul mags during the class as well. Ammuntion was Hornady 55gr. steel cased TAP.

The class was given over a 2 day period. Day one started off at around 800AM and ended around 1630-1700. The instructor gave us a brief overview of the what we would do and advised that the class can move slow or fast. It was all dependent on us.

Day 1- After the safety briefing we grabbed our gear and moved down the range. We did some basic close up shooting drills. As we progressed we started to do things like react to contact (turning drills) where we engaged the threat on the left, right, and from behind.

We did some basic movement techniques. Lateral movement, shooting in retrograde and shooting while moving forward to establish a dominant position.

As the day progressed we did two man movements and team movements. Most all of the shooting was conducted from standing low ready and CQB positions. As things went on we were encouraged to also communicate with our partner(s) as well as scan the area for threats. Another thing stressed was to transition to your secondary weapon when you experienced a malfunction or ran dry at close ranges. We also did shooting from the off side using our long guns as well.

The instructor stressed the importance of making good hits and not shooting to shoot. Being accountable for your rounds was stressed throughout the course.

Day-2 Consisted of some quick refresher and then we went to checking our zeros on our sights and optics. Distances were extended out to 100 yards. Needless to say some of us had some issues and it was an eye opener when we weren't shooting as good as we thought.

Once we worked out sight issues and made adjustments we started shooting from different positions. We covered prone, sitting, kneeling and standing. During the course we primarily used VTAC double sided targets as well as an animated silhoutte type target that featured some guy wearing a black sweater and holding a handgun.

As we started changing positions some of us started to learn that our particular gear set up, wasn't always the greatest (but we had to work around it). We then did various reaction drills where the instructor would call out a position and we had to move into that position and engage targets under time constraints.

As the day progressed the confidence level went up and people were making good hits and getting to know their gear.

Once it started to get dark we began to talk about low-light techniques and set ups and then started to prep out gear to do some night shooting. Everything was moving at a pretty smooth pace and we did a variety of shooting drills to include some movements to contact and stacks. The low-light portion was very basic, but it was good because you could start to see first hand what was working and what wasn't. We did a solid 2.5 hours of low-light shooting. Upon completion we did our group AAR, clean up and then received our certificates from the instructor.

Some personal observations.

1. Know your gear. Once you start shooting from different positions things can and will change. I had a few issues with my med pouch. Also be aware that some set ups aren't great once you get prone. If you have some master blaster type of flash hider or muzzle break you are going to have issues in the prone as well as during the night shoot. Using a suppressor was definitely an advantage for me during those stages and probably through the whole course.

2. Make sure that your weapon is running. If you have had problems in the past you will want to correct them before you get out there. We had a few issues, but overall the AR's seemed to be running good. I didn't see alot of people putting lube on their stuff which was odd. I did my standard lube job and ran the gun suppressed the whole time and had ZERO malfunctions.

3. In addition to knowing your gear and weapon, know your sights. I had previously zeroed my MBUS at 50 yards and I had some issues when we pushed out to 100. Same with the Aimpoint. I was able to fix it on day 2.

4. Bring plenty of mags and have them loaded if you can. I guesstimated our round expenditure with the rifle/ carbine at about 500 rounds. I brought alot of mags and was able to keep moving with minimal reloading during down time.

5. Have a good light. I cannot stress it enough. Some guys brought out some junky crap and it was a definite hinderance to them once we started the low-light portion. One guy had a Maglite and it was too unwieldy. Another guy was using some Walmart special and it was cutting off.

6. Slings- I saw a couple of guys using the Magpul ASAP and seemed to work good. Others had 3 point slings and everything in between. When we started shooting with the support side the Vickers sling really came through for me. I was able to loosen it, and run it underneath the rail system to the right side of the weapon and sling on my left. It worked really good.

7. Overall just be prepared. Have proper clothing and whatever you think you may need- sight tool, lube, knee pads, elbow pads, etc....make sure you stay hydrated and double check your kit. It has cooled down here considerably, but it was still in the high 80's.

8. Most all the participants had AR's. One guy was using a SIG SBR and another had a Mini-14. The Sig guy went to an AR later in the course. The guy with the Mini-14 was at a distinct disadvantage. I am note sure if it because he wasn't familiar with his weapon or if it due to the configuration. Though you can bring just about any semi-auto rifle I would run the course with an AR.

I can't stress this enough. If you live in Arizona you owe it to yourself to try and enroll in the course when they offer it next time. Even if you have some courses under your belt it is a good refresher and you will more than likely learn something either about yourself and your gear or something new that you didn't know. One word of caution is in order. The instructor is an old-school no BS type of guy. If you are one for having your feelings hurt easily I suggest you toughen up or don't attend.