PDA

View Full Version : I need some help choosing Model 700

bradb55
07-27-07, 22:59
O.k. I've been looking locally for a Remington 700. There are so many different models to choose from. I look at the main website and found a couple of models I like. Whats the best to start off with. I'll just be taking it to the range. Its not a field/service rifle. I'd like to get one that has a decent barrel out of the box. Upgrading could be in the future. One that looks good to me is the Model 700 SPS DM. I'm not into the stainless barrels. So anything black works for me. Well please give me some suggestions.

Brad

Robb Jensen
07-28-07, 06:22
I would stay away from the DM. From what I here Remington dropped it because of feeding problems. My 700 Police is a DM and the whole rifle was worked over by the 2112s at Precision Weapons at Quantico. The DM limits my options as far as magazine systems. I cannot just convert it back to a blind mag. I can convert it to a Badger bottom metal and their mags or use an Accuracy International stock and their magazine system.

Here's mine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/d7a41ba4.jpg

rob_s
07-28-07, 06:58
I don't know if Remington still makes it or not, but years ago I started out with a VLS (varmint laminate stock) model and upgraded as time and funds allowed. I started with a Leupold tactical mil-dot scope in Leupold rings, then relieved the stock to free-float the barrel and got a trigger job, then a Harris bi-pod, and last an HS precision stock. I wound up selling it when I moved to an area with no long-range shooting options so I don't even have pics anymore.

Alpha Sierra
07-28-07, 07:32
I'd opt for a Savage, personally.

RocketFoot
07-28-07, 07:41
I just bought a 700 SPS in 7mm rem mag. Nice gun! Mine has the internal magazine. What caliber are you looking for?

bradb55
07-28-07, 09:15
gotm4,
Thats the info I needed. I don't need to buy something that has to be worked over. But like I said I'm just shooting on the weekend. But overall has it been an decent rifle?

rob s
I'll look into that model or one like it.

Thanks guys

bradb55
07-28-07, 09:19
I just bought a 700 SPS in 7mm rem mag. Nice gun! Mine has the internal magazine. What caliber are you looking for?

.308 is fine for me. I thought about a 7mm after using my buddy's the other day. I think I'm going to stick with the .308 unless someone points me in a different direction. I like the internal mag, but would not mind changing it out to a detachable box in the future.

bradb55
07-28-07, 09:23
I'd opt for a Savage, personally.
Savage isn't that bad. I haven't heard good or bad about them. I guess no news is good news;)

dkc4u
07-28-07, 10:00
I ordered a 700 XCR Tactical in 308. I hope to get it in next week I will give you a range report when it comes in.

bradb55
07-28-07, 10:05
I was looking at that model. Very nice. If you don't mind me asking how much and where did I get it from? That was the one with the stainless barrel?

bradb55
07-28-07, 10:13
Rob s,
Just checked out that model and thats not a bad place to start. 26" heavy duty barrel thats not bad. I don't care for the stock, but thats what the aftermarket world is for.

Gun-nut
07-28-07, 14:31
Have you looked into the PSS?

I have one in .300wm, and it shoots very well. I couldn't be more happier in this purchase.

Gunfighter13
07-28-07, 20:24
I think you would like the 700 PSS in 308. I now have two.

Gun#1 I spent the big bucks, AI stock-Mark 4 scope, shoots 1/2" groups with good ammo.

Gun #2 Standard 700 PSS with Millett scope-badger rings-harris bi-pod, shoots 1/2" groups with good ammo.

I have $1200.00 in the #2 gun and $3400.00 in the #1 gun with the same results. 1/2" groups.

bradb55
07-28-07, 22:14
Wheres a good place to look for a 700 pss? I don't see it on Remington's site. Found alot of info on it, on the net. It looks like a good suggestion. The pss its good reviews very where I looked. If you guys know where to get one for a good price and from a trust worthy dealer let me know.

Gunfighter13
07-29-07, 20:09
Wheres a good place to look for a 700 pss? I don't see it on Remington's site. Found alot of info on it, on the net. It looks like a good suggestion. The pss its good reviews very where I looked. If you guys know where to get one for a good price and from a trust worthy dealer let me know.

Right now you most likely will have to spend about $900.00 for the gun. There are some on gunbroker and guns america but one of the bigger gun shows will get you a better price. Most dealers will charge close to retail for the PSS or LTR.

R Moran
07-29-07, 20:47

Go down to the lower right hand corner of the Remington site, it has a drop down menu for other site's. Select the LE enforcment site, it will show the Police model 870's, 11-87's, and 700's.

I have the LTR, but don't do much long range stuff, so I'll leave it at that.

I believe/think the "Tactical" series, 870's, 700's and that pump gun, are meant to bridge the gap between the sporting guns, and the police models. IF the 870 is an indicator, the police models are better built guns.

Besides the XCR there is also the SPS Tactical w/ the Hogue stock, the SPS Varmint, and a few other heavy barreled guns. Plenty to choose from.

Bob

bradb55
07-29-07, 21:24
Thanks R Moran

bradb55
07-29-07, 21:27
How about that Model 700 M40 Rifle design after the Vietnam era USMC rifle. That looks like a nice setup.

Gunfighter13
07-29-07, 22:00
How about that Model 700 M40 Rifle design after the Vietnam era USMC rifle. That looks like a nice setup.

Very nice gun. would like to add one to my collection. Hard to find gun but there is a company making them. I just can not remember their name. If I remember there is a link on one of the sniper forums. Maybe someone else knows.

bradb55
07-29-07, 22:13
Davidson's GalleryofGuns.com is listed as a distributer

R Moran
07-30-07, 00:53
Gunfighter,
I think he's refering to the Remington made replica M40.

Other M40 types are made by Iron Brigade Armory and Texas Brigade Armory, (I think thats the name) I beleive IBA is the Chandlers.

All the factory Remington, save the custom shop ones, are going to be the same basic reciever and barrel, and basically "starter rifles", though obviously plenty of them shoot very well. One model that was sought after used Remington 5R barrels.

Alot of good info can be found over at Snipershide.

From what I've read and researched over there and Lightfighter, botht he Remington and Savage guns are good for a basic long range set up.

Like I said I don't shoot much "sniper" stuff. I researched, and had my LTR worked over by the DOE armorers, in anticipation of a class that never happened, well not yet at least.

Bob

Alpha Sierra
07-30-07, 18:00
Savage isn't that bad. I haven't heard good or bad about them. I guess no news is good news;)

Their out-of-the-box accuracy is more consistent than anyone else's.

bradb55
07-30-07, 19:11
Thats the most I've heard about savage rifles. I was talking with my partner at work and his son has a savage 7mm for sale for $450. I think a 7mm is much for what I want, but if that is a good price maybe it would be worth picking up for the mean time. It does have a scope, not sure what kind