PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Question

Redneck19
10-30-10, 13:44
Many apologies if this is a redundant thread.

I recently swapped from an m4 profile cmmg upper to a BCM midlength. :D Do I need to change buffer tubes?
The CMMG lower, I am told, has a carbine buffer. Will this affect the operation of the gun negatively?

Thanks!

Robb Jensen
10-30-10, 14:18
Many apologies if this is a redundant thread.

I recently swapped from an m4 profile cmmg upper to a BCM midlength. :D Do I need to change buffer tubes?
The CMMG lower, I am told, has a carbine buffer. Will this affect the operation of the gun negatively?

Thanks!

CAR, H or H2 will work nicely. I use a H buffer with my midlength....well until I install the VLTOR A5 tubes and buffers.

Eric D.
10-30-10, 17:22
Shoot it with the CAR buffer and see how it feels to you vs your old barrel. Because the midlength operates with less pressure, a lighter buffer can be used (too heavy may cause malfunctions) The idea is to put in the heaviest buffer that still allows for reliable operation with the weakest ammo you shoot. If the recoil seems a little sharp, try an H or H2. You may end up with some extra buffers in you range bag but they'll be nice have to have if you build more rifles.

Redneck19
11-19-10, 16:21
Shoot it with the CAR buffer and see how it feels to you vs your old barrel. Because the midlength operates with less pressure, a lighter buffer can be used (too heavy may cause malfunctions) The idea is to put in the heaviest buffer that still allows for reliable operation with the weakest ammo you shoot. If the recoil seems a little sharp, try an H or H2. You may end up with some extra buffers in you range bag but they'll be nice have to have if you build more rifles.

I tried this and was rather surprised...no malfunctions. Recoil was noticeably less, to me, than with the old carbine upper.

It's a keeper!