PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for an all around general purpose 4"/mid-trainer boot?

gundam83
10-30-10, 18:08
I'm looking for a mid-trainer height (4") boot that is comfortable, not too heavy, and does not scream military/tacticool mall ninja. I would like to use it as a work boot (I work in a warehouse) and have it double as a range/training boot. Perhaps a hiking boot? That way I have other color options besides LEO black, or military desert. The 4" height is important because 6" is too high, and a low top is too low. I currently have a pair of black Oakley SI low tops and although they are extremely comfortable and lightweight, they dont offer enough ankle support, and I don't think they would fair well in a training class.

reccerecon
11-07-10, 14:07
You should check out uscav.com, they have the hiking boot styles that are used in the Stain, they are very well made. I belive thay have the Timberland model in brown that have adjustable insoles. I cant say for sure what hights they offer. USCAV can be pricey so if you find one you like look at some other websites first. You can always just buy a nice set of regular hiking boots too.

Spiffums
11-07-10, 16:54
I think Bates is who makes the hiker. I got a Galls catalog around here somewhere and saw them in it.

reccerecon
11-07-10, 17:27
I thought the Bates hiker had a higher ankle, either way Bates are real good boots.

kmrtnsn
11-07-10, 17:34
Go to KeenFootwear.com and look at their boots. I own two pair of boots, the Targhee and the lightweight ventilated Voyageur, two pair of sandals, and four pair of Keen street shoes. The are comfortable, don't scream tacticool and wear like iron. If you buy from Zappos.com they frequently do a free shipping deal and free shipping on returns if you have a size issue.

orionz06
11-07-10, 18:43
I just bought a pair of Vasque Switchbacks and they are pretty nice. They have a Vibram sole which is very desireable, they look like your run of the mill hiker.

JSantoro
11-07-10, 19:22
Go to KeenFootwear.com and look at their boots. I own two pair of boots, the Targhee and the lightweight ventilated Voyageur, two pair of sandals, and four pair of Keen street shoes. The are comfortable, don't scream tacticool and wear like iron. If you buy from Zappos.com they frequently do a free shipping deal and free shipping on returns if you have a size issue.

Booyah. I picked up a pair of Targhees two weeks ago, and I cannot believe that a boot so light is as rigid as it is without being nearly inflexible. Fantastic support, the toe box is roomy without meaning that the heel is loose, and I love the way that the topmost hooks for the laces are essentially clamps. I can loosen the boots over my instep and still snug them on my ankles.

I'm NOT a fan of all the stitched-in reflective material on the lace-keepers. Coloring them with a Sharpie didn't work, so I'm gonna have to see if RIT dye or something like it does the job.

Also a big fan of Merrel (Phaser Peaks) and Asolo boots. Particularly Asolo, because I have a somewhat narrow foot, and while they don't make narrow sized, European shoes tend to be made on a narrower last and fit me better.

kmrtnsn
11-07-10, 19:29
Booyah. I picked up a pair of Targhees two weeks ago, and I cannot believe that a boot so light is as rigid as it is without being nearly inflexible. Fantastic support, the toe box is roomy without meaning that the heel is loose, and I love the way that the topmost hooks for the laces are essentially clamps. I can loosen the boots over my instep and still snug them on my ankles.

I'm NOT a fan of all the stitched-in reflective material on the lace-keepers. Coloring them with a Sharpie didn't work, so I'm gonna have to see if RIT dye or something like it does the job.

Also a big fan of Merrel (Phaser Peaks) and Asolo boots. Particularly Asolo, because I have a somewhat narrow foot, and while they don't make narrow sized, European shoes tend to be made on a narrower last and fit me better.

Keen has just introduced a couple of pairs of more robust, heavier weight hiking boots with stiffer shanks, the Oregon PCT and the Pyrenees. I am mulling getting a pair of these too.

RD62
11-07-10, 20:20
I am also a big fan of Merrell boots.

I am on my second pair in 6 1/2 years. I wear them all the time, and find them comfortable, durable, and perform well for me as casual shoes, range/field footwear, and light hikers.

I have worn them on the App Trail, in the Rockies, the Okeefenokee, and more.

cop1211
11-07-10, 21:50
I recently got a pair of Salomon 4d gtx black/grey, they are very nice, and comfortable.

vaspence
11-07-10, 21:51
I own a few pairs of Merrells, Vasque, Salomon, etc. but I too picked up some Keen Targhee's in early October and they are great! I've used their sandals for a few years, pretty much live in them in the summer and the boots are just as comfortable.

Bolt_Overide
11-08-10, 02:24
good info here, thanks for the suggestions, Ive been looking for a suitably non tactical replacement for my converse mids for a while now.

Iraq Ninja
11-08-10, 02:51
I recently got a pair of Salomon 4d gtx black/grey, they are very nice, and comfortable.

+1, probably the best I have seen yet. RP Tactical is the only dealer selling the specially made black/grey version.

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/salomon_quest1.jpg

lethal dose
11-08-10, 03:05
Chalk me up on the list of those who like Salomon. My personal go-to boot is the wolverine king caribou 6" in digital camo, however, Salomon makes a very rugged, breatheable boot that is second to none in comfort. Keen is right up there, too. Adidas also has a few offerings I find nice and that fill a certain niche.

rob_s
11-08-10, 04:36
Boot selection is even more personal than holsters, and IMHO more important if you're on your feet all day. You can see from above that there are some brands that are popular and even some specific models but I've found the hardest part (at least in my area) is finding a store that has a wide enough selection to actually try them on. We have a local Bass Pro but the boot selection is horrendous. Saloman, Asolo, Vasque, and Merrell seem to be the most popular, with Keen a recent frontrunner as well, and I'm interested in the Five Ten line that Grey Group carries.

I've been in need of a new pair of boots for about a year, but am reluctant to order online which makes me stuck with the enemy I know rather than the one I don't.

I swear to christ I'm going to wind up with a damn boot chart.

ehcarl2983
11-08-10, 05:43
I got my first pair of Lowa's earlier this year from a scratch and dent.... great boot... from what i've read else where Lowa is all around gtg.

gundam83
11-08-10, 12:40
Decided to try the Salomon Quest boots from RP tactical. Gray was exactly what I was looking for. Not a big fan of brown boots, but didn't want to go LEO black either. This should look good wherever I wear it :P

At RP it was on sale for $160 shipped with 2nd day air compared to the $200-220 for the non-tacticool color-scheme from other vendors. I was a little concerned because I couldn't find any reseller ratings for them, but their ebay account has a 99% positive rating.

Tom Swift
11-08-10, 14:12
Salamon's Exit Peak Mid GTX is a really nice boot. I'll probably pick up their 4D GTX at some point to but it would serve a slightly different purpose.

gundam83
11-11-10, 20:35
Update: Received my boots but they ran a little large. I usually sport a 9.5 in shoes, and 9 in boots, but these were still too big. I think I'll have to pick up a pair in 8.5 and return these.

Spiffums
11-12-10, 05:23
I got a pair of 5.11 hikers yesterday and a pair of Converse 9" boots. The hiker/trainers are on the short side for real ankle support but they do keep me from "stepping off my ankle".

OldGreg
11-12-10, 08:42
Go to KeenFootwear.com and look at their boots. I own two pair of boots, the Targhee and the lightweight ventilated Voyageur, two pair of sandals, and four pair of Keen street shoes.

I'm rocking 8 pairs of Keen shoes & boots too. No sandals for me though..

jtb0311
11-13-10, 13:46
I'm very fond of OTB Thors and Vasque Sundowner Classics.