PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get another AR.

Clamber
10-31-10, 01:03
Earlier back in April of this year I built my first AR15 for my 19th b-day and absolutely loved it. Shot it every weekend for a month and a half, but then had to sell it to help pay for a headstone for my dad.

So now Im dying to get some trigger time again, and Im pretty sure I want to get another AR.

Im mainly just a weekend shooter who likes to go out into the UT desert and fire off some rounds. Not trying to be crazy accurate, but I obviously want to hit what Im aiming at and not just shoot around aimlessly.

Im on a budget of $2000 and I would like to get an optic/accessories, but not 100% necessary at first.

Im trying to decide between building one, or buying a complete from a good manufacturer.

Rifles Im contemplating:
--Noveske 16" Light Recce Basic. $1500.--

--Spike's ST-15 Mid-Length LE Carbine. $800.--

--BCM BCM RECCE-16. $1200.--

--BCM SAM-R. $????.--

Build Im contemplating:
--A4 Clone. BCM upper. Not sure what lower. KAC M5. ~$1300.--

Anything else I should consider?

I really cant decide so Im coming here to ask for some expertise and recommendations.

Thanks.

Jake Bauer
10-31-10, 04:44
Dont forget to look at Daniel Defense.

kac
10-31-10, 08:58
With Colts about 1100-1200, they have to be on your list, at least.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

djegators
10-31-10, 09:17
Best combination of price and quality in my opinion would be to get a BCM blem lower, add the stock of your choice, and get a basic BCM upper that you like. Will still leave you about half your budget to get quality optics in a quality mount.

sdcromer
10-31-10, 09:20
Best combination of price and quality in my opinion would be to get a BCM blem lower, add the stock of your choice, and get a basic BCM upper that you like. Will still leave you about half your budget to get quality optics in a quality mount.

This!!!

Entropy
10-31-10, 09:23
Im on a budget of $2000 and I would like to get an optic/accessories, but not 100% necessary at first.

Im trying to decide between building one, or buying a complete from a good manufacturer.

Rifles Im contemplating:
--Noveske 16" Light Recce Basic. $1500.--

--Spike's ST-15 Mid-Length LE Carbine. $800.--

--BCM BCM RECCE-16. $1200.--

--BCM SAM-R. $????.--

Build Im contemplating:
--A4 Clone. BCM upper. Not sure what lower. KAC M5. ~$1300.--

Anything else I should consider?

I really cant decide so Im coming here to ask for some expertise and recommendations.

Thanks.

If you're wanting to add quality optics, to your weapon, they will run at least the price of your rifle. So, if you spend $1500 on a Noveske, you can plan to spend at least another $1000 on a ACOG. Or, you can go the jack of all trades route, and get a Aimpoint T1, and the 3x magnifier allowing you have the best close range optic, and a flip-up magnifier for longer ranged stuff......total cost for all of that will be about $1300.

Since you aren't looking at competing, or using the rifle as a precision sniping rifle(not really that great in 5.56 anyway), I suggest you get a BCM 16" midlength. It's a highly durable rifle, with good shooting performance.....and an affordable price. Unless you are an armorer, I would just buy a complete lower, and then get a complete upper. Here's a good place to start:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HFU-BCM

I'd go with the hammer forged 16" barrel with midlength gas system.

Hmac
10-31-10, 09:27
I have a 16" Noveske Light Recce and it is truly a great rifle. Very smooth - I love the mid-length concept. My Recce has the VIS, but I think Noveske's rails are great and if I were looking to shave some money and some weight, the VIS is the first thing I'd sacrifice...but I'm just not a plastic handguard kind of guy.

The other rifles you mention are excellent, and probably more cost-efficient than the Noveske. My only recommendation is that you strongly consider a mid-length gas system.

Clamber
11-07-10, 00:03
Thanks for the replies guys. I still have no clue what to get.

I want to use some of that $2000 to get my first order of ammo, so Im thinking I have about $1700 for the rifle now.

Im contemplating a Spike's rifle configured like so:

Spike's 16" Middy w/ BAR Rail - $660
Spikes Custom Lower w/ MOE Grip/Stock - $330
3 Magpul Pmags - $42
Magpul RVG - $19
Aimpoint CompM2 - $500
ADM AD-68 Mount - $105
1000x PMC Bronze .223 - $300

But another part of me wants to start a Mk12 Mod 0 build since its my dream rifle. I would just be able to afford the rifle and ammo at first, then after a few months get a decent mount and scope.

Im thinking:

BCM Mk 12 Mod 0 Upper - $1160
BCM Lower w/ A2 Stock - $360
2 Pmags - $26
ARMS #40L Sight - $120
1000x PMC Bronze - $300

Hmm...

TehLlama
11-07-10, 01:12
My suggestion:

BCM Blem Complete Lower
SmartGunner DD assembled Upper with light rail (go with a 16" Middy and Lite rail of your choice).

You'd probably save enough to bump up to a Micro Aimpoint and still add MOE/MVG/XTM hardware as needed.

ehcarl2983
11-07-10, 01:52
Here's my take as a young guy who built up a rifle over a year and a half but am now looking to sell it/ relegate was I thought was "perfect" to the no. 2 slot.

Read around more, a lot of really dialed in guys will suggest to go very bare bones in the beginning, and simply learn how to run a gun.

Next you can learn a good bit simply by reading posts/articles/course AAR's from quality instructors without taking the course. You can then apply this to your training. From here you can learn about different styles that lend themselves specifically to certain types of rails/accessories.

If I had taken this route the first time through I would have saved a bit of money along the way.

YMMV, Good Luck!