PDA

View Full Version : High Capacity HK 45?

P. Panda
10-31-10, 16:08
Hello All,

I was wondering whether there are either any high capacity HK45 mags out there (e.g. more than 10 cartridges), or alternatively if HK wouuld consider adding more capacity to their current HK45 line. I have an FNP-45 and enjoy it, but the thing that's holding me back from moving up to an HK is the big move backwards in mag capacity.

The FN takes 15 rounds, and neither does the grip feel too big nor does the mag stick way out below the bottom of the grip.

Any thoughts/ rumors?

Best,
P.

loupav
10-31-10, 17:57
I don't think the HK45 was designed to work with more than 10 rounds. Yes I know there is mention of 15 rd magazines in the manual, but if they were going to release them, they would have done it by now.

Mark71
10-31-10, 19:24
Yes I know there is mention of 15 rd magazines in the manual, but if they were going to release them, they would have done it by now.

HK has stated on their forum as well as on HKPRO that they have no plans of releasing any 15 round magazines for the HK45. The mention of it in the manual was an error.

Kchen986
10-31-10, 19:37
Some guy on HKpro installed a yet-to-be identified base plate on their HK45 mag and increased capacity to 12rds. The OP in that thread didn't really post many details....That seems like the only solution so far.

calvin118
10-31-10, 21:03
I wish they would release a 14 round extended mag like the M&P has.... doubt they will though.

loupav
11-01-10, 12:36
HK has stated on their forum as well as on HKPRO that they have no plans of releasing any 15 round magazines for the HK45. The mention of it in the manual was an error.

That's what I thought. I am happy with the gun with a 10 round capacity. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself, being that I live in cali.

Entropy
11-01-10, 13:50
Hello All,

I was wondering whether there are either any high capacity HK45 mags out there (e.g. more than 10 cartridges), or alternatively if HK wouuld consider adding more capacity to their current HK45 line. I have an FNP-45 and enjoy it, but the thing that's holding me back from moving up to an HK is the big move backwards in mag capacity.

The FN takes 15 rounds, and neither does the grip feel too big nor does the mag stick way out below the bottom of the grip.

Any thoughts/ rumors?

Best,
P.

H&K, along with Larry Vickers designed the HK45 to be the ideal .45acp military sidearm. Going with 10rds versus the USP's 12rd magazines was done to allow for the interchangible backstraps, and still maintain a small enough grip to allow for the use of winter gloves. US Navy SEALs have adopted the HK45c which surpassed all other .45s in terms of overall durability and reliability with and without a suppressor.

If you are concerned about using a .45acp pistol with 10+1, don't be. 7 and 8 round 1911s have been the main staple of military .45s for almost 100 years now. They are still being used over seas, and many prefer them over the 9mm M9s. If you train with 10+1, you'll learn your platform's capacity limits and shoot/reload accordingly. In my opinion the HK45 and its compact little brother are the best overall .45acps on the market.

Alaskapopo
11-01-10, 14:11
Hello All,

Any thoughts/ rumors?

Best,
P.

The HK USP in 45 I used to have held 12 rounds in the magazine.
Pat

Edited
Sorry did not read the whole thread.

P. Panda
11-01-10, 20:00
H&K, along with Larry Vickers designed the HK45 to be the ideal .45acp military sidearm. Going with 10rds versus the USP's 12rd magazines was done to allow for the interchangible backstraps, and still maintain a small enough grip to allow for the use of winter gloves. US Navy SEALs have adopted the HK45c which surpassed all other .45s in terms of overall durability and reliability with and without a suppressor.

If you are concerned about using a .45acp pistol with 10+1, don't be. 7 and 8 round 1911s have been the main staple of military .45s for almost 100 years now. They are still being used over seas, and many prefer them over the 9mm M9s. If you train with 10+1, you'll learn your platform's capacity limits and shoot/reload accordingly. In my opinion the HK45 and its compact little brother are the best overall .45acps on the market.

No doubt its a fine pistol. Not arguing that. Just saying that there are others out there with more capacity. And hoping that the "best" would evolve to include all the finest features, including higher capacity. Looks like that's a pipe dream for now though. Shame.

majette
11-02-10, 01:56
No doubt its a fine pistol. Not arguing that. Just saying that there are others out there with more capacity. And hoping that the "best" would evolve to include all the finest features, including higher capacity. Looks like that's a pipe dream for now though. Shame.

i think the hk45 has the finest features. the magazines were designed to make the grip slimmer and less stagger for feeding reliability.

compare the grip feel of the hk45 to the fnp-45, to me the hk wins hands down.

the m&p .45 has a capacity of 10+1 and i would run one of those before the fn.

in a self defense situation statistics show that encounters are rarely high round count interactions. if you are tasked to go into harms way a handgun is a secondary weapon brought to bear when you have to switch to it til you can reload your primary or are out of ammo.

eventually someone will make a mag extension to increase the hk45 mag capacity, as there are a few people that would like it. capitalism abhors a vacuum.

best advice is to always train to make every shot count.

Entropy
11-02-10, 09:01

Once magazines reach a certain length, they become a hinderance when firing from cover. The same applies to rifles which is why most professional military units around the world use moderate capacity magazines to maximize handling(and reliability) whether it be longguns or handguns.

12rd-plus .45acp pistols have been around for a long time. There have been 13rd Glocks and 1911s for decades, as well as many 12rd designs. They usually never get mainstream adoption because all that capacity compromises grip circumference and/or grip length. Probably why the Navy SEALs pretty much never use the MK23, and opt instead to use their Sig M11 9mms. Now, they've added some HK45cs to their inventory with the compact sized grip with 8+1 capacity. Handling trumps capacity when it comes to people who use their guns for a living. The SOCOM requirements classified 8rds to be the standard capacity, and 10rds to be the high capacity.

So my point of this whole post is that higher capacity is not necessarily an improvement, and it can sometimes be a step backwards. The hand is only so large, and the grip can only be made so thin before its durability is compromised too much. H&K has been making probably THE best .45acps for the last two decades. I think they knew what they were doing when they made the HK45......and its magazines.

SmokeJumper
11-02-10, 14:12
Just as a side note, when I bought some 10 round HK45 mags for my HK45c, I discovered that they will hold 11 rnds., accidentally. After running the new mags through the gun, I was downloading practice ammo and loading carry ammo and put 11 rounds in one mag by accident. I then checked the others to see if they would take 11 rounds and they did. I called HK and was told it would hold 11, but was designed/intended to shoot/carry 10. Anyone else run into this?

gtmtnbiker98
11-02-10, 17:04
Just as a side note, when I bought some 10 round HK45 mags for my HK45c, I discovered that they will hold 11 rnds., accidentally. After running the new mags through the gun, I was downloading practice ammo and loading carry ammo and put 11 rounds in one mag by accident. I then checked the others to see if they would take 11 rounds and they did. I called HK and was told it would hold 11, but was designed/intended to shoot/carry 10. Anyone else run into this?Common knowledge, but I would recommend against it.

Pappabear
11-02-10, 18:59
Those 10 round HK45 mags are perfectly manufactured works of art :D

P. Panda
11-02-10, 20:25
i think the hk45 has the finest features. the magazines were designed to make the grip slimmer and less stagger for feeding reliability.

compare the grip feel of the hk45 to the fnp-45, to me the hk wins hands down.

the m&p .45 has a capacity of 10+1 and i would run one of those before the fn.

in a self defense situation statistics show that encounters are rarely high round count interactions. if you are tasked to go into harms way a handgun is a secondary weapon brought to bear when you have to switch to it til you can reload your primary or are out of ammo.

eventually someone will make a mag extension to increase the hk45 mag capacity, as there are a few people that would like it. capitalism abhors a vacuum.

best advice is to always train to make every shot count.

Lots of truth in your comments, but a lot of this comes down to personal preference. I have big hands (6' 4") and have no issues with the FNP's slighly larger handgrips. Given my stature, and all else being equal, I'd prefer more ammo without a reload. Think of it this way - with one mag in the gun and another on your hip 2 15 round mags are equivalent to 3 10 rounders.

And from a reliability perspective, the FN does just fine; no issues stemming from the double stack there. So I figure if the Belgians can do it, why not ze Germans? :sarcastic:

I'll be the first capitalist to pony up for the high cap, in case there are any enterprising smiths or aftermarket guys out there with such an inclination.....

Entropy
11-02-10, 20:58
Lots of truth in your comments, but a lot of this comes down to personal preference. I have big hands (6' 4") and have no issues with the FNP's slighly larger handgrips. Given my stature, and all else being equal, I'd prefer more ammo without a reload. Think of it this way - with one mag in the gun and another on your hip 2 15 round mags are equivalent to 3 10 rounders.

Reloads, are primarily for magazine related malfunctions and post initial engagement adrenaline dump. The magazine related failures are pretty self explanatory......or even an accidental dropped magazine which can also occur under stress, pressing the weapon against a barricade, or using a flashlight in a Chapman, Ayoob, or Rogers technique. You aren't gonna be looking for a dropped magazine on the ground during a gun fight. Bumping a magazine that is partially emptied hard enough on the base can cause cartridge jumbles making the magazine useless. This occurs a lot when you dive for cover and the base of your pistol impacts the ground. As far as the adrenaline dump goes, when the SHTF many shooters will empty their magazine in the first couple of seconds regardless of the effects. Unless you make a CNS shot, it takes a bit for the bad guy to drop and you don't recover your wits until you go through the act of reloading. It is at this point that you rationally reassess your shoot, look for additional threats, and weigh your surroundings.

So, my point is that depending on a single magazine to get you through a unpredictable life and death scenario is a risky plan. I would rather have a 1911 with two 7rd magazines, than a .45acp with 15+1 rounds and no extra magazine.

1_click_off
11-02-10, 21:11
Just as a side note, when I bought some 10 round HK45 mags for my HK45c, I discovered that they will hold 11 rnds., accidentally. After running the new mags through the gun, I was downloading practice ammo and loading carry ammo and put 11 rounds in one mag by accident. I then checked the others to see if they would take 11 rounds and they did. I called HK and was told it would hold 11, but was designed/intended to shoot/carry 10. Anyone else run into this?

Think the extra space is to allow for a fully loaded (10rds) mag to be inserted into a pistol with the slide fully closed. Can you get a mag loaded with 11 to insert if the slide is closed?

dvdlpzus
11-02-10, 21:54
Why not get the FNP-45 Tactical? I love the feel anr shootability. Trigger is beautiful. I've never shot the HK45 but FNPs are great quality and it is a great .45 option.

Hello All,

Any thoughts/ rumors?

Best,
P.

SmokeJumper
11-03-10, 20:19
Think the extra space is to allow for a fully loaded (10rds) mag to be inserted into a pistol with the slide fully closed. Can you get a mag loaded with 11 to insert if the slide is closed?

Yes they will seat, but not advised to carry as mentioned above.