PDA

View Full Version : New AR Owner - GA

Tnol10
11-01-10, 08:07
I finally took the plunge and picked up an AR. My AR is nothing to brag about as I'm hoping to learn more about the platform before seeking anything high end or maybe not due to a limited budget. I have a C3 Defense Lower with DPMS parts kit, a complete DPMS A3 upper with 5.56 16" barrel, Magpul MOE Handguard, ATI Adj. Stock and a Tasco Red Dot. I've already picked up 6 mags and some ammo, but would like a few other necessities before making my first range outing (i.e. discreet carrying bag, sling and cleaning kit). I'm also hoping to invest in some decent optics soon or at least a detachable carry handle or buis.

In the meantime, I'm just browsing through the site for information and helpful suggestions. There seems to be plenty of good information here to keep me busy for a while (Thanks).

500grains
11-01-10, 21:57
There is no need to spend yourself into oblivion before your first range trip. For a discreet carrying bag, sometimes I just use a beach towel.

Get yourself some Break Free CLP, or light viscosity full synthetic motor oil, lube the bolt carrier group properly, and go shoot. And shoot. And shoot. All positions, lots of different distances. Find out what you like about the gun and what you don't like. Oh, and you need a leaning rod, chamber brush, bore brush, cleaning solvent and patches. That's about it. Make sure to properly lube the gun about every 500 rounds.

As for a sling, skip it for now. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot.

The accessories are nice, but master the basics first and foremost.

If possible, sign up for a carbine class in your area. In the training section of this website there are some excellent trainers listed and I am sure you will have a great time and learn a lot at one of those courses.

The foregoing is a personal opinion.

Tnol10
11-03-10, 07:24
500grains: Thanks for the info, hoping to get some time in with it this weekend.

Black Jeep
11-03-10, 18:22
Depending on where you are in Ga there are some decent free, public ranges. I'm up in the Northeast corner and shoot about oncee a month over at Wilson Shoals WMR in Banks County.

Good luck with your rifle and enjoy shooting it.

Tnol10
11-03-10, 20:27
I'm down in Henry Co. I'll definitely be on the lookout for free ranges.

Thanks

littlejerry
11-08-10, 19:31
For discrete carry here is my el-cheapo solution:

Wrap the upper in a beach towel and place it in a folding camp-chair bag. I can easily fit a 20" A2 upper into one of them.

The lower will easily fit into a regular backpack(even with an A2 stock).

Its easy to carry both the backpack and chair bag discretely anywhere you go.

Tnol10
11-11-10, 06:41
For discrete carry here is my el-cheapo solution:

Wrap the upper in a beach towel and place it in a folding camp-chair bag. I can easily fit a 20" A2 upper into one of them.

The lower will easily fit into a regular backpack(even with an A2 stock).

Its easy to carry both the backpack and chair bag discretely anywhere you go.

Funny, that's what it's been stored in for the past couple weeks (chair bag). I do need to add something to pad it while being transported.

Thanks

Militant83
11-23-10, 17:50
Like everyone else has said on here buy the accessories later or a little bit at a time you have the basics. Now just get that much needed trigger time.

jbi1104
11-29-10, 21:24
I concur about accessories. Just get out and shoot the weapon and enjoy. You will see what works for you and what you think could be improved. Congrats regardless.

ra2bach
12-08-10, 12:34
does the case have to be discreet? if not, this is one of the best deals on the planet for $19 through the end of the month.

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/239/239907.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=939239907

also, you're close enough to me, and it's the giving season, PM me as I have some stuff that I'd like to "pay it forward" to a new shooter...

Tnol10
12-08-10, 12:44
does the case have to be discreet? if not, this is one of the best deals on the planet for $19 through the end of the month.

also, you're close enough to me, and it's the giving season, PM me as I have some stuff that I'd like to "pay it forward" to a new shooter...

Thanks for the heads up, pm sent.

nichud09
12-28-10, 09:55
I'm down in Henry Co. I'll definitely be on the lookout for free ranges.

Thanks

i grew up in rockdale county, would always go shoot (and still do) at 'charlie elliot wildlife center'(aka wma clybel range) off exit 98 I-20. its prob the best free/closest range to you. lemme know if you wanna meet up. i live in decatur now, but still make plenty of range trips out to charlie elliot all the time.

Tnol10
01-09-11, 16:08
i grew up in rockdale county, would always go shoot (and still do) at 'charlie elliot wildlife center'(aka wma clybel range) off exit 98 I-20. its prob the best free/closest range to you. lemme know if you wanna meet up. i live in decatur now, but still make plenty of range trips out to charlie elliot all the time.

Thanks, I want to get out to Charles Elliot one day. Actually know of a group of guys going out there next week but I'm tied up with the kid's basketball.

I'm saving this post for possible range trips.