PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Green Pants for dairly wear?

Mr. Goodtimes
11-01-10, 12:52
I'm considering ordering a pair of either Crye Precision field pants or TAD Force 10's in Ranger Green (ME Green from TAD).

Do the crye pants look too "tactical" when worn with a t shirt and hiking boots or do they come across as more of a hiking pant/outdoors pant?

Also, does green stick out as more of a "tactical" color than Khaki/Sand/Brown?

I've tried cargo pants from several manufactures and was dissapointed with the fit and construction/features. The offerings from both TAD and Crye seem to fit my needs very well for a pair of urban outdoor/hiking pants. I just dont want to walk around town looking tacticool.

militarymoron
11-01-10, 13:26
IMHO, the crye pants look more 'tacticool' than the Force 10's with their calf pockets. front thigh pockets etc. the Force 10's look more casual.

Mr. Goodtimes
11-01-10, 13:37
IMHO, the crye pants look more 'tacticool' than the Force 10's with their calf pockets. front thigh pockets etc. the Force 10's look more casual.

I was thinking the same thing, I just didnt know if it was my mind playing games with me because I know they're tactical pants. It's looking like it will be force 10's. I was going to order some of the Raider Pants from the Bird but they wont have any in the color I want untill Feburary. I'll order a pair of Force 10's to hold me over until then.

JSantoro
11-01-10, 14:03
I'm of the habit of taking a seam ripper to external pockets I find to be of no use or just outright stupid. In this case, I didn't pay for them, but I took the front and calf pockets off of my khaki Crye field pants, and am wearing them in the office now. Same with EOTAC ripstops; ditch the smash-your-outer-knee pockets (what others call thigh pockets), and they're perfect for me. I'd be paying the same for discreet pants, sacrificing the material weight I prefer, so it's 6/half-dozen to me.

I headed up to one of our more mainstream-corporate locations in Manassas for a flu shot this morning, and had some middle-management wonk stop me to comment unfavorably about my pants. Some local "no patch pockets on pants" policy within the ranks that deal with guided-missle frigates, radar systems and other programs that employ people that hold out their pinkies when they drink. It went really well for him....:nono:

Point being, all he saw were offensive, anarchistic patch pockets. I think folks that ask what does or doesn't look tactical are generally the only ones who ever note any palpable difference between tac pants and any old cargo pants. If you can get past what seems a blasphemous act on pants you shelled out big $$ for, careful work with a seam ripper can ditch the pockets you don't need.

jsebens
11-01-10, 14:53
Have you considered the VertX pants? I've been very happy with mine; they're not overly "tactical", but very functional.

Mr. Goodtimes
11-01-10, 15:30
jsebens, I liked the VertX pants except for the stretch waste band. My NWU's at work have a stretch wasteband and I hate it, it makes me feel like I'm wearing old man clothing.

jsebens
11-01-10, 15:32
Fair enough...but if you're wearing a belt, your waistband shouldn't stretch beyond where you have your belt set anyway. Just playing Devil's Advocate for you.

Alpha Sierra
11-01-10, 16:51
Honestly, do you think anyone in the general sheeple population notices these things? And if they do why would one care?

Seriously........

3CTactical
11-01-10, 22:36
jsebens, I liked the VertX pants except for the stretch waste band. My NWU's at work have a stretch wasteband and I hate it, it makes me feel like I'm wearing old man clothing.

I can't stand stretch waistbands either - for some reason they just drive me bonkers. Other than TAD stuff I haven't really found pants that I've been that happy with. It seems like most of the tactical style pants have those dang elastic waistbands and while I understand the purpose behind them, I still hate 'em. :fie:

panzerr
11-02-10, 06:11
You should take a look at Mountain Khakis.

Von Rheydt
11-02-10, 07:02
Honestly, do you think anyone in the general sheeple population notices these things? And if they do why would one care?

Seriously........

+1

Soooo many numpty's wearing cargo's, 5.11's and walking trousers nowadays nobody cares anymore.

I buy these and remove the side pockets:

http://www.ebrookes.co.uk/p/080230/Regatta-Action-Trousers.html

Mjolnir
11-02-10, 07:35
You should take a look at Mountain Khakis.
They look and feel good but the lighter weight ones do not wear as well as thought they would despite the hounds tooth weave pattern.

Mr. Goodtimes
11-02-10, 08:19
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to go with a pair of the TAD Force 10 cargos in ME Brown. I've wanted some for a while and have been really happy with my Ranger Hoodie. I may order up a pair in ME green as well.

Mr. Goodtimes
11-02-10, 08:29
I checked out Mountain Khakis and those look like some really awesome pants, I may pick up a pair of those to try out as well.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-02-10, 08:41
I believe civis do notice a guy in gren pants, boots, and an instructor belt. And, green pants are ridiculous unless you are actually in the field. A nice "tactical" khaki or brown pant sans cargo pockets is professional and palatable.

panzerr
11-02-10, 22:08
I checked out Mountain Khakis and those look like some really awesome pants, I may pick up a pair of those to try out as well.

They are very durable and comfortable. I got them for shooting/outdoors use but they look good enough to wear anywhere.

ST911
11-03-10, 11:42
When I'm in airports, arenas, and large gatherings of people I make a game of spotting tacti-pants, as well as other clothing and equipment tells. It's incredibly easy to pick things out in certain brands/lines.

The overwhelming majority of folks have no clue and are of no worry. The trouble is that you may have want...or need...to avoid the others, too. Sometimes added notice or scrutiny from a security officer, LEO, or other similar person isn't desirable. (I.e. CCWing in a non-permissive environment.)

The RR/5.11 style with slash pockets, smaller thigh pockets, or strap across the back make ID easy. If you buy a tacti-pant, consider that.

Khaki cargos are as ubiquitous as blue jeans these days. Green is much less common. The added benefit of a khaki/tan cargo is that it goes with pretty much everything, and can be worn in some places others can't.

Go sit in your local mall, sports arena, or airport. Count and contemplate folks wearing and carrying different things, noting who sticks out and who doesn't, why they do or don't, and to whom.

Mr. Goodtimes
11-03-10, 14:08
When I'm in airports, arenas, and large gatherings of people I make a game of spotting tacti-pants, as well as other clothing and equipment tells. It's incredibly easy to pick things out in certain brands/lines.

The overwhelming majority of folks have no clue and are of no worry. The trouble is that you may have want...or need...to avoid the others, too. Sometimes added notice or scrutiny from a security officer, LEO, or other similar person isn't desirable. (I.e. CCWing in a non-permissive environment.)

The RR/5.11 style with slash pockets, smaller thigh pockets, or strap across the back make ID easy. If you buy a tacti-pant, consider that.

Khaki cargos are as ubiquitous as blue jeans these days. Green is much less common. The added benefit of a khaki/tan cargo is that it goes with pretty much everything, and can be worn in some places others can't.

Go sit in your local mall, sports arena, or airport. Count and contemplate folks wearing and carrying different things, noting who sticks out and who doesn't, why they do or don't, and to whom.

I've decided on going with Khaki for sure. Green stands out way too much. I know what your talking about. I'm likely going to go with the mountain Khakis for daily wear. I'll save the tacticool pants for the trail where it doesn't really matter.

VMI-MO
11-03-10, 15:42

Seriously........

Is it the sheeple population you worry about?

Nope.

PJ

chadbag
11-03-10, 17:14
Have you considered the VertX pants? I've been very happy with mine; they're not overly "tactical", but very functional.

I like mine too. In fact, when pressed, they can be used for business casual as well. The extra pockets being on the inside makes them stand out less.

Alpha Sierra
11-03-10, 21:22
Is it the sheeple population you worry about?

Nope.

PJ

I don't worry about any population.

orionz06
11-04-10, 12:15
Looking at what is sold at REI, I am less concerned about anyone overthinking my pants. There are a lot of the metro-outdoorsy types around here that wear columbia-north face-etc and to be honest, I think most any of the pants described would fit right in, hell people might ask where you bought them.

Tennvol12345
11-04-10, 12:36
They are very durable and comfortable. I got them for shooting/outdoors use but they look good enough to wear anywhere.

MK's are great pants, and even better if you get them at a LE discount but be cautious. Recently their quality control has gone to hell and they often mislabel their pants. For example I have a pair of Mountain Pants with a label from a different color and model sewn inside the rear pocket.

VMI-MO
11-04-10, 17:34
I don't worry about any population.

Maybe worry is the wrong word because it makes us feel inferior, "take into account that portion of the population".

The point I was trying to make is the part of the population that does recognize them are the ones you need to take into account.

No I do not mean that your average gang banger wears 5.11. But he has probabley been arrested by a cop, who was wearing 5.11 pants and he remembers some odd feature on the pants that whenever he sees it now he thinks cop.

I think bad people are much more adept and aware then we give them credit for and they tend to notice patterns.

Just saying what I think.

PJ

Moose-Knuckle
11-04-10, 18:15
Yes, I think it is safe to say that if you wear RG pants out in public that you are not a mall ninja.

Take a look at outdoor adventure companies like Patagonia, North Face, etc their pants all only come in Earth tones. So greens, browns, grays, tans, etc.

Now if you blouse them to wear them to gun shows then we have a problem. :sarcastic:

JSantoro
11-04-10, 22:38
Hell, I have office wogs at work wearing shirts and pants that look like something Prince wore in Purple Rain. Green would be a welcome change.

RioGrandeGreen
11-05-10, 00:57
Has any body tried the Duluth Trading Co firehose pants. I just got a catalog and they look pretty good for all around wear. Any one have any info?

VMI-MO
11-05-10, 04:57
Has any body tried the Duluth Trading Co firehose pants. I just got a catalog and they look pretty good for all around wear. Any one have any info?

I never have, but several friends use these. They are very happy with them. Seem to be very similar to carhartt.

PJ

Sry0fcr
11-05-10, 07:32
Mr. Goodtimes. I respectfully submit that you're probably waaaay overthinking (and likely overpaying for) your pants. If you're worrying about blending in I'd advise against $100 pairs of strange looking khakis in "off" colors and try to find something that's commonly available like Columbia or Carhartt in... khaki. ;)

Chameleox
11-05-10, 08:00

Pretty bombproof. Great range pants, I also use mine for hunting. They are a little heavy, though, so they might be better suited for autumn through spring.

Added: Yes, you're probably overthinking/paying. For most of my days (plainclothes assignment), outdoor store cargo pants or EOTac discreet pants are just fine.

Mr. Goodtimes
11-05-10, 14:41
Well, while were on the topic.. Does anybody here think that for a pair of outdoor pants the Crye or TAD pants are worth three times as much as a pair of regular old BDU pants from Propper? They would be used for hiking etc..

militarymoron
11-05-10, 15:25
personally, i don't really use 'tactical' pants for hiking (BDU pants, crye, TAD etc) - i usually go with a lighter weight pant like the rail riders. the tactical pants have more pockets/features than i need for hiking.
that being said, i do find the TAD Force 10's in cotton ripstop or their light weight amphib nylon more comfortable than regular BDU pants for every day casual wear.

RioGrandeGreen
11-05-10, 21:57
Thanks for the info on duluth pants. For the southwest they would probably would be too hot in the summer. Green pants down here are a no go, Border Patrol wears green cargo pant and you do not want to be mistaken for an agent off duty.