PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M1 Super 90 Barrels

MountainRaven
11-01-10, 13:34
I have had a Benelli M1 Super 90 Field for over a decade. My tastes in bird-guns since then have changed, as I was young and stupid and have since discovered the glories of side-by-sides.

Anyway. I presently lack an SD/HD shotgun and figured that my M1 would be the perfect shotgun for the task. Add a SureFire handguard and a Nordic magazine extension.... But there's a rather significant problem: I can't seem to find any barrels for it and the 26 inch tube it presently wears seems... a little long for its new mission.

Do the barrels for the M2s work on the M1? If not, does anyone manufacture 18-20 inch barrels for the M1?

Thanks!

Todd.K
11-01-10, 16:49
Most HD shotguns have CYL choke, you can cut down the field barrel if nothing else.

subzero
11-01-10, 19:06
You can find the occasional M1 barrel on Gunbroker, but they aren't cheap. The last time I thought about getting another barrel for mine, I figured it would be easier (not cheaper, but easier) to just get another gun. Two is one, right?

Benelli USA lists the M1 and M2 barrels together, and I've seen it posted that one will fit the other, but I've never seen the question answered definitively.

LLangley
11-06-10, 22:05
I have a 18.5" tactical barrel that I'll trade you for your field barrel?

shootist~
11-06-10, 23:51
I'm fairly sure the M1 & M2 barrels interchange, but the M2 barrel requires a M2 forearm, and vice-versa.

I researched this a couple of years ago and finally gave up on the idea and just bought a separate shotgun.

M4Fundi
11-07-10, 01:44
Fjallhrafn how are the birds this year in your neck of MT? I heard the pheasants got hammered this year with the late winter, but that Huns and Sharptails numbers seemed good. What have you seen?

What is your favorite SXS?

I hunted Huns and Sharpies with a Win Mod 21 in 16g. I love SXS too:D

Rezarf2
11-07-10, 09:11
I'd buy the extension you want (nordic or factory benelli) then cut the barrel to the extension length (or to the legal length in some cases)... add a big dot tritium front sight and you'd be GTG.

or

trade with LLangley a few posts above- ;)

BSHNT2015
11-07-10, 09:37
Has anyone clarified if the M1 & M2 bbl can be interchanged, Benelli website info or rumor on the internet? Thanks.

shootist~
11-07-10, 11:43
Has anyone clarified if the M1 & M2 bbl can be interchanged, Benelli website info or rumor on the internet? Thanks.

About four posts up.

MountainRaven
11-07-10, 12:33
Thanks for the input, guys! I'll need a little bit of time to think about the exact course I'm going to take with this gun. It was a gift from my father, the grouse-hunter, and for my purposes a pump-action may, may be more useful, if only for running rubber buck (in addition to 00 and slugs).

@M4Fundi: Currently running a CZ Hammer Classic. It's heavy, but it gets the job done. And I love the hammers. I'd love to get a Merkel 1620 or 1622, but that's more money than I can justify.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to get out and whack any birds, yet, this year. (Hopefully I can get some time to go do it over Thanksgiving and Christmas.) From what I've been hearing, it's been pretty hit-or-miss, though: Some days the guys don't see anything and other days they're flushing hordes of pheasants from every other bush. Huns seem to have been pretty hard hit, though, as I've only heardtell of one getting bagged this year.

JimT
11-07-10, 20:05
I am not affiliated with any of these folks, but hopefully this helps:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23393&page=2

ChicagoTex
11-07-10, 22:32
for my purposes a pump-action may, may be more useful, if only for running rubber buck (in addition to 00 and slugs).

Why would you run rubber buck?

MountainRaven
11-08-10, 00:07
@ JimT:

Thanks! Looks like an M2 barrel ought to work, since I was/am toying with the idea of installing a SureFire integrated weapon light.

@ ChicagoTex:

There are people around here, some Californians, some not, who like to feed the deer by hand. And every once and again, the deer need reminding that I am not one of them.

JimT
11-08-10, 00:26
Here is a link with information that compounds on to the link that I posted earlier:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22829

ChicagoTex
11-08-10, 00:46
There are people around here, some Californians, some not, who like to feed the deer by hand. And every once and again, the deer need reminding that I am not one of them.

Huh. Thanks for sharing that, I'd never even thought of that circumstance before.

MountainRaven
11-08-10, 00:50
JimT, thanks again!

ChicagoTex, I can't imagine that it has occurred to too many people, until they wander outside, late at night, and then turn to go back inside and hear a twig crack behind them, only to turn around and see a deer staring at them, wanting to know why you haven't brought it any food.

:sarcastic: