PDA

View Full Version : ETA Rhino Rail for Mossberg 930 SPX?

JDPhoenix501
11-01-10, 16:52
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/b-KObbNgNdTjhhh5leziwQRCP1r5d70cCX3FecM2EOo?feat=directlink

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Q968B9MFmbw/TM80u1-CCfI/AAAAAAAAArQ/sLb99Dgu4wY/s640/IMG_0945.JPG

I'm looking to purchase a rail for my 930 SPX.

I like the simple practicality and price of the Aimpro rail.

I don't like the excess of the ETA Bulldozer.

But the ETA Rhinorail is pretty dead on the kind of rail I want to add.

I've emailed ETA and the reply I got was:

"I am pretty sure the 14" Rhino Rail will fit. A customer is sending in his 930 SPX for testing. The 14" weighs 10.7 OZ, and can be seen on a Remington 1100 here.

We are also porting that forward grip, called the Bobcat over to the 930. That should not take very much time as we designed it to work on both guns. We only need to change the small internal clamp."

It sounds like it should but any other owners here have the setup in question?

Thanks,

CL

jaxman7
11-01-10, 21:27
JD,

What is the reason behind getting the rhino and not, say the aimpro rail? What do you plan to mount on it and what is the intended purpose of the 930?

-Jax

JDPhoenix501
11-01-10, 22:11
I like the look of the Rhino rail and prefer its top emphasis orientation over the AimPro's placement over the OEM fore end section. Both will work but since I can only pick one, I would prefer the Rhino.

Accessories I want to add:
-front sling swivel
-flashlight mount
-Burris mini Reflex sight or Eotech.

I am not in LE or in the military, so additional weight issues are not of great concern to me.

I do take it to the range regularly to shoot clays or steel targets with slugs. So its primary role is recreational shooting and I want my scattergun to look distinguished. I live in a state that is not very warm to the idea of us building fancy black tactical rifles, so modifying my shotgun with the rhino rail and having the accessories fulfills that void. =)

I do plan to take it with me to a professional shotgun course in the future.

DMR
11-02-10, 10:00
I have a AimPro rail on my 930 now. Nicely built and purpose driven. I can't see a reason to say the same for a top rail on a shotgun. The Burris would mount on the reciever of the 930.

jaxman7
11-02-10, 21:17
First off I want to note that what I say doesn't in anyway suggest ETA produces products that shouldn't be bought (I have personally spoken with Mark from ETA and was very impressed with the future plans for the company) but I would recommend not buying the rhino rail and get aimpro's product . For no better reason that their function triumphs over form. Yes the rhino does, in some people's view, look cooler but in my own opinion looks should never trump purpose. If you want to add a light and sling mount that can all be done with the aimpro rail. The sight can be mounted, as DMR stated, on the existing receiver rail and if the light is not mounted far forward enough for you on aimpro's forearm rail then purchase a Nordic clamp with a rail section and you are GTG.

-Jax

JDPhoenix501
11-03-10, 23:44
Hmmm, I'll do some more research and waiting but I'm beginning to see the merits of the AimPro.

Flashlight and sling swivel still possible.

Burris mini red dot on the existing receiver rail.

I can add a Magpul AFG2.

And since I'm saving almost 2 bills, use that to invest in an Eotech. :laugh: