PDA

View Full Version : Uzi ammo issues?

Robc1219
11-01-10, 18:28
Hi, I recently purchased an original IMI Uzi 9mm Model A and it seems in real good condition. I was shooting 124gr American eagle out of the same magazine. I put only about 5-6 rounds per mag. Anyway, the first 3 mags shot flawlessly and then the last 3 had FTE's every 2-3 shots. Anyone think it's ammo? or maybe need a serious strip/clean? thoughts?

GermanSynergy
11-01-10, 18:41
Have you cleaned/lubed the weapon since you purchased it? Inspected the mags?

I would clean/lube and see if that remedies the issue.

Robc1219
11-01-10, 18:45
Yea, i only did a BASIC clean and not much lube as I wasn't as familiar as I am ith an AR. I will do that. I am unsure about cleaing mags so I guess I should read up on that more...thnx!

Streaker
11-11-10, 10:12
I have a Group Industries that shoots Wolff, Brown Bear, and the other brass cased ammo without problems.

Sparks2112
11-12-10, 02:40
The only experience with Uzi's that I have is with FA mini and micro models. They would feed ANYTHING though. I'd take it apart and lube the snot out of it.

thespaceghost
11-17-10, 13:56
Hi, I recently purchased an original IMI Uzi 9mm Model A and it seems in real good condition. I was shooting 124gr American eagle out of the same magazine. I put only about 5-6 rounds per mag. Anyway, the first 3 mags shot flawlessly and then the last 3 had FTE's every 2-3 shots. Anyone think it's ammo? or maybe need a serious strip/clean? thoughts?

90% of semi-auto problems are usually related to the magazine. Spring tension, binding, bent feed lips etc. Mark your mag and try another mag.

Second up would be cleaning issues, then mechanical. American Eagle ammo should not be the problem.

The Uzi is usually a very dependable system and the massive bolt will shove any weight bullet into the chamber- dirty or clean if the magazine works correctly. Fail to extract issues seem to suggest dirty chamber or extractor/ejector, or damage/wear to those items. Take the gun apart, inspect the parts, clean and lube and try it again.

Being it is a used carbine, previous owner may not have cleaned or maintained it well. Hard to wear one out, and they should go a long time with modern ammo without having cleaning related failure to fire or eject.

Robc1219
11-17-10, 14:10
Spaceghost,

Great info as well, many thanks. I'm going to tear it down this weekend and give it a full cleaning. I honestly never thought of magazine issues until you folks on here mentioed it. I heard Uzi's were work horses so I wasn't sure it was the ammo that caused the problem. If I have further problems after, then I will look at internals. But i only used one mag last time at the range due to time contraints at the range.

Thanks!
Rob

thespaceghost
11-17-10, 14:42
The original Uzi's were absolutely workhorses and for many years were the best SMG on the planet.

The simplicity in design and interior clearances let them work in sand, snow, rain etc somewhat akin to the AK-47 ideology.

Heavy, clunky and durable, but still a good design and effective gun with little to no recoil and very easy to shoot and maintain.

Wish I had nickle for every round I squirted through an Uzi...I'd have a dump truck load of nickles. Hope yours runs good for you.