PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Needed With Molle Webbing Question

BushmasterFanBoy
07-29-07, 02:02
I have a friend who is looking to purchase an Eagle chest rig. The one that is similar to the universal by SKD, but is all MOLLE webbing instead. From what I can see, the Molle webbing is 14x4 on that rig. He is looking at mounting a double pistol mag pouch and two of Eagle's "triple" M4 pouches that hold 6 mags in three pouches of two mags each. Anyways, if each of those M4 pouches will take up 6 rows of webbing, and the double pistol mag will also take two up, that means all 14 rows of webbing will be full. I was wondering if this would fit too tight or if since the numbers match it will work. BTW, M4 mags with molle webbing are not an option, he is intent on getting flap pouches.

RAM Engineer
07-29-07, 22:15
twelve (12) M4 magazines?

BushmasterFanBoy
07-29-07, 23:41
twelve (12) M4 magazines?
Yes, 12 total. He says that he wants to use two of the Eagle "triple" mag pouches which each hold six (two in each of the three pockets)

bradb55
07-30-07, 20:20
He doesn't work at the Post Office does he???????????????????????:D

BushmasterFanBoy
07-30-07, 20:26
He doesn't work at the Post Office does he???????????????????????:D

Jeesh, is 12 mags too much?:D I personally carry 7, but It's not that 12 is overboard is it? Heck, the SKD rig has padded straps!;)

Get this too, he wants to get HK mags for all 12 of them!!!:eek: I'm trying to talk him out of that, I've had failures to lock back in my carbine using the two HK mags he already has. "But they look so cool!":rolleyes:

Anyways, given the rows of webbing, will it fit if the numbers match up, or should there be a lil more room to make sure the pouches can fit right?

Hoplophile
07-30-07, 23:39
Anyways, given the rows of webbing, will it fit if the numbers match up, or should there be a lil more room to make sure the pouches can fit right?
Probably.

There is no hard and fast rule on this because it all depends on how much the pouches overlaps on the ends. Since the carrier bends when it wraps around your torso you have some leeway but you really won't know for sure until you put it all together and try it out.

TimW
07-31-07, 00:17
Standard spacing for MOLLE webbing is 1.5" center to center. So, 14 columns x 1.5" = 21"

As I recall, the MLCS style mag carriers take up 6 columns each = 12 columns = 18".

This leaves 2 columns for a pistol pouch. You can use a single M4 MLCS-style mag pouch, and there are a couple of MOLLE holsters that would work, too: Specter Gear makes one, and High Speed Gear makes a MOLLE adapter to hold a Safariland 6004 holster, that takes up 2 columns.

The problem will be how wide, in inches, the triple mag pouches are versus how many columns they take up. I don't have any to measure, so I can't help there....sorry.

BushmasterFanBoy
07-31-07, 09:52
Standard spacing for MOLLE webbing is 1.5" center to center. So, 14 columns x 1.5" = 21"

As I recall, the MLCS style mag carriers take up 6 columns each = 12 columns = 18".

This leaves 2 columns for a pistol pouch. You can use a single M4 MLCS-style mag pouch, and there are a couple of MOLLE holsters that would work, too: Specter Gear makes one, and High Speed Gear makes a MOLLE adapter to hold a Safariland 6004 holster, that takes up 2 columns.

The problem will be how wide, in inches, the triple mag pouches are versus how many columns they take up. I don't have any to measure, so I can't help there....sorry.

The two set's of "three-mag" pouches should fit, but adding the two pistol mag pouches is going to cause some problems. I just don't know if the pouches will be wider than the columns they take up...

TimW
07-31-07, 10:28
My bad...I misread his desire for pistol mag pouches as for a pistol holster. Oops....reading is fundamental, TimW. :)

Most double-pistol mag pouches only take up 2 columns, so there's still a chance, depending on how much overlap, if any, the M4 pouches take up.

An alternative would be for him to use two of the double High Speed Gear Universal Modular Mag Pouch (UMMP). Each pocket will hold 3 mags, so 6 mags for each double pouch = 12 mags total. They take up only 4 PALS columns and there's hardly any overlap/extension beyond the edge. This would leave 6 columns open.

BushmasterFanBoy
07-31-07, 11:45
My bad...I misread his desire for pistol mag pouches as for a pistol holster. Oops....reading is fundamental, TimW. :)

Most double-pistol mag pouches only take up 2 columns, so there's still a chance, depending on how much overlap, if any, the M4 pouches take up.

An alternative would be for him to use two of the double High Speed Gear Universal Modular Mag Pouch (UMMP). Each pocket will hold 3 mags, so 6 mags for each double pouch = 12 mags total. They take up only 4 PALS columns and there's hardly any overlap/extension beyond the edge. This would leave 6 columns open.

Yea 3 mags in each pouch is an option, but him and I agree that with mag pouches that thick, going prone, let alone moving, becomes next to impossible.

rob_s
07-31-07, 11:54
12 M4 mags plus how many, 4 pistol mags? :eek:

I know one guy that runs this much gear, and he's a security contractor in Iraq (actually, he's home right now but whatever).

Pads or no pads, that's a hell of a lot of weight.

TimW
07-31-07, 12:08
Yea 3 mags in each pouch is an option, but him and I agree that with mag pouches that thick, going prone, let alone moving, becomes next to impossible.

Move them to the outside, leaving the middle more open. Sure, it makes it a little harder to get to the mags on his off-side, but damn, HE'S the one wanting to carry 12 mags.

Which airsoft game is this for, anyway? :D

BushmasterFanBoy
07-31-07, 19:05
Move them to the outside, leaving the middle more open. Sure, it makes it a little harder to get to the mags on his off-side, but damn, HE'S the one wanting to carry 12 mags.

Which airsoft game is this for, anyway? :D
Ha! I know, but he's big enough to carry them, then I'm not going to call him an airsofter to his face!

I think 7 mags is enough, but I guess he wants to show off, I'd imagine he'd never have more than 1 set of 6 on it at a time.

BushmasterFanBoy
07-31-07, 19:06
12 M4 mags plus how many, 4 pistol mags? :eek:

I know one guy that runs this much gear, and he's a security contractor in Iraq (actually, he's home right now but whatever).

Pads or no pads, that's a hell of a lot of weight.
Just two pistol mags, as if it matters at that weight level.:D

ETA: He has come to his senses and accepted a 6-mag loadout.

Here is his idea of a rig
Tactical Tailor 1-piece MAV body
Padded X harness
1 Eagle "triple" M4 mag pouch (holds 6 mags)
1 Eagle double pistol mag pouch

I don't care for the padding, but its his money and his rig, so thats the way it is.