PDA

View Full Version : TAVOR TAR 21 5.56mm Rifle

Shazam
07-29-07, 02:17
Tactical Tupperware Party ....

Had a free day and a chance to shoot a few hundred rounds of 5.56 today.
Did an informal side-by-side shoot with the Tavor TAR 21 (http://www.israel-weapon.com/default.asp?catid={BE33B6E6-080B-45B8-AD85-C4E1E40D0422}), a HK SL8-4 (in G-36 drag) as well as an 11.5" AR15.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/Gonzo_Pix/July2007314.jpg

Some shooting opinions about the Tavor ...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/Gonzo_Pix/July2007287.jpg

Accuracy was better than expected. The full 475mm bbl (18") was great for accurancy and shot placement, although the Mepro M-21 sight was definately not for everyone. Bright day provided for a good sight picture but this wasn't the case while shooting from under cover (shade). Compared to the HK SL8 (3x hendsolt optic) the Tavor is far easier to handle (shooting while moving etc)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/Gonzo_Pix/July2007297.jpg

It was agreed that the ergonomics on the Tavor were a winner, although some prefer the standard rifle configuration. Only negative points were the inability for some guys to be able to get a good sight picture (personal preference). It was clear today that the bullpup had a nice advantage in accurancy as compared to the shorty AR15 (overall length comparable)... also not as loud as the 11.5" shorty.

Just my two cents .. this is a great rifle and well balanced. As with anything, there are personal preferences and minor adjustments needed, but the quality of the rifle is solid. Standard AR15 mags all fit & functioned flawlessly for those who were curious. All mags dropped free although the mag release needed some getting used to.

Later the same day Tavor was compared side by side to a Norinco QBZ97 as well as a Steyr AUG. The Tavor definately is quality piece of gear. With a proper sling set up (anything is better than the IDF seatbelt sling) this would make a great pack rifle or plinker.

These rifles will be available in Canada. No idea if this will make it to the US.

I still like the AR15 carbines in 14.5" but these bullpups are neat.

Shazam

Business_Casual
07-29-07, 09:59
Thank you for taking the time to write this up and post it.

What about mag changes on the Tavor? Did you have a chance to do any malfunction clearances?

M_P

Shazam
07-29-07, 13:50
there were no malfunctions with the rifle on the day of the shoot.

The mag catch is centrally located behind the shooters hand... and with repetitive training Im sure that one could clear the rifle quickly. Most likely left handed operation to 1. remove mag 2. cycle action with left hand, therefore keeping the rifle in position.

Since my fellow shooters that day were Pro-AR15 .. it was a tough sell.

fred
08-02-07, 01:22
Does IMI still make stuff here? It would be nice if they did the Tavor here. I'm a big fan of Israeli stuff. Thanks for the post and pics.

shooter521
08-02-07, 10:24
Does IMI still make stuff here?

"Still"? AFAIK, IMI has never had a US manufacturing facility. All the IMI guns offered for sale here (Desert Eagle, Baby Eagle/Jericho, Uzi, Galil, SP-21, etc) have been imported. Action Arms brought in the Uzis and Galils back in the day and Magnum Research handles most of the handguns (although Mossberg brought some in a few years back, under the abortive "Uzi Eagle" brand).

ygbsm
08-02-07, 14:11
How is it for left-handed people?

CarlosDJackal
08-06-07, 21:50
Shazam,

Thanks for sharing this with us. I do have a couple of questions though:

1) What is that potrusion that is immediately behind the magazine (under the buttstock)?

2) Where is the safety and how is its "usability" compares to that of the AR?

3) You said that some people had problems obtaining a sight picture, can you elaborate on this?

4) Hoe easy is it to view the chamber (IE: to clear it)?

TIA!!

Shazam
08-07-07, 14:17
Hi there,

Here is the Armourers Manual (http://www.canadaammo.com/CGN/Armorer_Manual_FR.pdf) with the specs on the rifle.

The rifle is ambi (you can move the mechanism from left to right on the rifle).
The protrusion after the mag is the hold open device.
The safety is as per the top picture (right hand thumb - just like the M16/AR15
Clearing the rifle is easily done while keeping the sights on target.
The iron sights are good, but the poor sight picture came from the Meprolight M-21 that comes standard with the rifle. Reflex sights provide poor dots when under cover or indoors. I would prefer an Aimpont or an Eotech.
The chamber can be viewed when clear. (manipulate charging handle with left hand, move rifle fwd, view empty chamber.

IMI is no longer. The comapny is now IWI (http://www.israel-weapon.com/) as far as I understand. Isreali Weapons Industries. This rifle was also featured on Future Weapons a while back and the accuracy was fielded. Over-all weapon accuracy was documented. If someone can post that link that would be great (Dont know how to do that video stuff)
Im looking forward to my personal rifle arriving later this year. These are still new in Canada.

TY44934
08-15-07, 18:58
Interesting thing is that IWI had a choice in designing the Tavor:

-Direct Gas Impingement or

-Gas piston.

They went with the latter.

They fight - in the desert - often. No patent protecting either design. In fact, a DI system w. parts in common with the AR-15 would have saved them $$$ and allowed US aid parts to be used for free.

Funny how people think the Israelis did not like the Galil. True - they dropped it - but ONLY because of weight.

Matt
09-05-07, 13:54
I contacted IMI a few weeks back about the possibility of the Tavor being imported to the United States. I received the following response today.

Dear Sir,
Thank you for approaching us, however, we do not have a distribution
network in the USA, we are planning to have one around 2009.
Sincerely,
Karina Eidelman
Marketing Coordinator

Hopefully, this is something that will continue to develop. :D

marrandy
04-28-08, 13:33
You got a reply ?

Amazing.

I emailed 3 times last year and received nothing back.

Hope it does 'arrive' in the USA in 2009.

Prices in Canada are $3,000

In 2001, Barrett were going to sell it but nothing happened. The price range of $1,000 to $1,500 was mentioned then in a couple of places.

I hope it will arrive with a price not more than $1,500.

I'm still looking for a long range rifle (1 mile at <0.5 MOA) at the moment.

I'm price conscious, but am looking a various $3,000-ish rifles (with scopes etc.) :-

Tango 51
AI-AE
AR-30 .338 Lapua

still early days of research though

Xenogy
04-29-08, 00:02
Barrett was supposed to be the distro everyone was waiting to hear from on the Tavor. Was hoping shot show 07 but nothing ever happened

Jay Cunningham
04-29-08, 00:18
Very interesting - thanks much for your post!

jhs1969
04-30-08, 21:25
Any comment on the trigger pull. Most bullpups are known for a heavier trigger pull. I've followed the TAR 21 for a few years now. I would love to see them imported, as long as they were not converted to single stack 10 rnd mags or some other nonsense. Any other insights would be great. Thanks.

Oh no, ACR, SCAR, TAR 21. I'm going to have to win a lottery:cool:

Striker5
05-01-08, 07:26
The South Africans have done something similar with their R4 (Galil) rifles, and it is manufactured by Vektor. I know little about either rifle. How similar are the two designs?

variablebinary
05-02-08, 13:03
For some reason I just cant get excited about the Tavor. Something about it seems off. New guns on the market is always a good thing though

NicCanada
07-13-08, 20:58
It was mentionned that this rifle was available in Canada (for a price $$$!:mad: ). Do you have any distributor info, contacts, availability? Anything would be appreciated.

Another detail, is this restricted or reserved to military / LE?

Thanks, Nic.

variablebinary
07-14-08, 02:11
It was mentionned that this rifle was available in Canada (for a price $$$!:mad: ). Do you have any distributor info, contacts, availability? Anything would be appreciated.

Another detail, is this restricted or reserved to military / LE?

Thanks, Nic.

MrSmitty on XCRforum.com has one, and he is a civilian. You might want to shoot him a PM on that forum and ask he what the deal is

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn138/mrsmitty81/DSC00437.jpg

NicCanada
08-20-08, 07:13
Go to http://www.canadaammo.com to purchase one in Canada.
Also look at these sites

http://www.questar.ca/deals/LAR15_mag_ruling.htm
http://www.questar.ca/deals/LAR15_mag.htm

We can use 10 rounds magazines in it, but these mags MUST be used. These mags will work in M4, XCR, any rifle that accepts "M16 type" mags.

Nic.

casio02478
08-29-08, 08:33
You got a reply ?

Amazing.

I emailed 3 times last year and received nothing back.

Hope it does 'arrive' in the USA in 2009.

Prices in Canada are $3,000

In 2001, Barrett were going to sell it but nothing happened. The price range of $1,000 to $1,500 was mentioned then in a couple of places.

I hope it will arrive with a price not more than $1,500.

I'm still looking for a long range rifle (1 mile at <0.5 MOA) at the moment.

I'm price conscious, but am looking a various $3,000-ish rifles (with scopes etc.) :-

Tango 51
AI-AE
AR-30 .338 Lapua

still early days of research though

$3000 :eek:. wow it is a nice rifle and too rich for my blood.

mdmmd1
07-06-10, 06:03
Does anyone know if the TAR 21 could be ordered from Canada and imported into the US? This is assuming an ATF form 6 could be obtained and the permit received? It doesnt seem as though their should be any real issue besides from the price. Please excuse me as I am ignorant of firearm import laws. Thanks

Quiet
07-06-10, 07:09
Does anyone know if the TAR 21 could be ordered from Canada and imported into the US? This is assuming an ATF form 6 could be obtained and the permit received? It doesnt seem as though their should be any real issue besides from the price. Please excuse me as I am ignorant of firearm import laws. Thanks

The semi-auto only IWI Tavor does not meet the "sporting purpose" requirement for importation.

It is a semi-auto centerfire rifle, it can accept a detachable magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds, it has a pistol grip and it has a threaded barrel. All these features disqualifies it from the "sporting purpose" requirement needed for importation.

Since, it does not meet the "sporting purpose" requirement, it can not be legally imported into the USA, unless it's for use by a Gov/Mil/LE agency.

That's the reason why Charles Daley was planning on manufacturing the Tavor in the USA. But, Charles Daley is no longer in business and, AFAIK, there are no longer any plans on making them in the USA.

Rated21R
07-06-10, 07:17
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.