PDA

View Full Version : VLTOR or Magpul

Don Edge
11-01-10, 23:11
I am trying to decide the better stock for my Carbine. The Viltor I- Mod and the Magpul CRT both look good to me. Which would you pick and why. Does the Magpul have battery storage.

Dos Cylindros
11-01-10, 23:14
The CTR does not have battery storage. The Vltor iMod is a bit heavier, but some really like the feel of the cheek weld compared to the CTR. The sloping sides of the iMod are very comfortable, but I prefer the CTR. You should get to a local gun store and feel each one so you can avoid wasting your money on something you will end up not liking.

mattj
11-01-10, 23:30
The CTR does not have battery storage. The Vltor iMod is a bit heavier, but some really like the feel of the cheek weld compared to the CTR. The sloping sides of the iMod are very comfortable, but I prefer the CTR. You should get to a local gun store and feel each one so you can avoid wasting your money on something you will end up not liking.

+1 -- try them out, see how they shoulder and how the cheek weld feels for you.

Just this weekend I was with a friend who thought they wanted an ACS, but after trying both, has decided to go with the iMod because of how it felt/shouldered. Try them, see how it feels and how it balances your rifle at the length you would run it at.. then decide.

outrider627
11-01-10, 23:34
I have a regular style IMod stock. It locks up tight on the receiver extension but there is just a really small, and I mean almost unnoticeable amount of wobble. I think it might be loosening up because of use, or I never noticed it because the M4 stock sucks so much. I like the rubber butt pad, it grips very well onto clothes and skin. It is removable if you don't like it.

The best part about the IMod IMO is the cheek weld. Way better than a regular M4 stock. A lot more surface area to get a good position on. I'm not using the battery compartments, but they are very easy to open. A quick turn of the end cap (rubber coated for a good seal) and they're open. As for weight, Vltor says <9.4oz which is a little more than the CTR with the standard butt pad.

Hmac
11-01-10, 23:55
I've gone to all-VLTOR, two iMods and a non-current ModStock I got cheap from Bravo. I use three different buffer tubes, the stocks all slide smoothly and have zero wobble or looseness. The VLTOR buffer tube has position numbers printed which show through the little window on the top of the iMod. Obviously not a big deal, but an interesting touch.

These stocks are top notch. Solid sling mounting, great cheek rest. I'm sure the Magpul is great, but I have no need to find out now.

kmrtnsn
11-01-10, 23:57
I tried to like the ACS stock but pulled it off. We're an all Vltor stock family now, Imods and Emods.

rbabbitt767
11-02-10, 10:53
I did the same with my ACS. It is a fantastic stock, but the EMOD shouldered a bit better for me and has a slightly more comfortable cheek weld.

socalav
11-02-10, 11:06
I tried to like the ACS stock but pulled it off. We're an all Vltor stock family now, Imods and Emods.

I did the same with my ACS. It is a fantastic stock, but the EMOD shouldered a bit better for me and has a slightly more comfortable cheek weld.

+1 on this. I too had an ACS on one of my AR's and have since changed it out to an I-mod and also have put them on my other Ar's. The I-mod is lighter and has a better fit for me. Its a bit shorter also.
I vote Vltor!!

jasonhgross
11-02-10, 11:19
SOPMOD for the win.

LSK
11-02-10, 12:44
I prefer the Vltor. But you need to try them for yourself and see what works for you.

badness
11-02-10, 13:42
i prefer the ctr. I'm pretty new to rifles so it could be just that "I'M DO'IN IT WRONG". lol

The wide cheek weld presses against my jaw bone and is uncomfortable. The ctr doesn't do that nearly as much. I also prefer the feel of the magpul buttpad. It just feels more ergonomic. But like i said. I'm new. So take it for what its worth...Which ain't much :sarcastic:

Kegger
11-02-10, 14:21
Call me weird, but I was always taught to shoot by keeping my head straight up and to bring the weapon to my face.

The ACS, IMOD, EMOD, and SOPMOD completely screw up my shooting since I have to slightly lean my head over to get a good cheek weld. Then my zero changes POI.

I only use stocks without the silly little wings on them. Personal preference, yes, but you have to find what works with your style.

Meplat
11-02-10, 16:11
I started out as a big Magpul fan, drinkin' the kool-aid, and still am. Magpul's a great company. But I'm starting to like VLTOR a little bit more as far as stocks go. The cheek weld you get with the mod stocks is second to none and I'm pretty sure the Imod and CTR weigh about the same, save for an ounce or two. The one reason I did like the Magpul CTR and ACS stocks was the friction lock, but after having used all manner of stocks without friction locks, I realized that I have never once when shouldering a carbine or using it noticed any play or thought to myself "I wish this wobble was gone".
Go with whichever one you like more, both are quality, but the VLTOR cheek weld is very nice.

87GN
11-02-10, 18:29
The Vleetor IMod is approx .8oz heavier than the CTR with buttpad.

I currently own both and like both but use more Vltor stocks because I like the cheek weld they provide, and I feel that they are a little more durable.

GermanSynergy
11-02-10, 18:37
I have an I-Mod as well as a CTR/ACS. You cannot go wrong with any of them, honestly.

If I HAD to select one it would be the ACS. Great cheek weld, storage and tight lockup.

CAG - 516
11-02-10, 18:44
Ive used so many of the stock on the market and IMO the CTR and ACS are the best, at least for me.

Remember just like with anything especially stocks, its all a matter of which works best for u.

Im currently running a CTR on my rifle and ordered a ACS yesterday. cant wait to get it!

Main reason u should try some of them first is because everyones stance and hold is different, so a stock that might work well for me might not for u.

Col_Crocs
11-02-10, 18:57
I run CTR's because of the locking feature but have since been sold on the Emod when I tried a friend's carbine. Cant beat the Emods ergonomics. I run my stock to clicks out and the Emod feels the same way fully collapsed. Folks who run their CTRs closer may prefer the Imod in that case.

Iraqgunz
11-02-10, 19:16
What kind of underwear do you like? Thongs or boxers? It really is a preference thing and may be dictated by gear or kit that you are or aren't using. If possible I would go to a local store and take a look at some of the various options and possible try them out and see how they feel.

cop1211
11-02-10, 19:18
UBR:D

zombie killer
11-02-10, 19:52
I swapped my Emod for a CTR and have enjoyed it. I do miss the battery storage on the Emod but the smaller size of the CTR won me over.

Muddyboots
11-02-10, 20:27
Because carbine stocks are evil in NYS, I use a full length rifle stock on all my post-ban builds. The Vltor Rifle length EMOD is perfect for me in this location and my preferences. I really like the club foot. As Iraqgunz pointed out so succinctly it comes down to personal preference.

I have used a CTR quite a lot on a pre-ban and I tend to run it full out anyway.

Muddyboots

kmrtnsn
11-02-10, 20:45
Muddyboots, you should look at the Sully stock.

CAG - 516
11-02-10, 20:47
I totally forgot to mention the UBR like cop mentioned above.

The UBR is def a stock to consider, i was actually gonna go with the UBR first before i tried the ACS but i really dislike how the UBR looks and feels when extended.

Either way i think u should try it out if ur gonna go down to ur local store and check out diff stocks.

masakari
11-02-10, 21:43
I love the MOE/CTR but nothing beats the UBR in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the wide stocks like the EMOD, IMOD, ACS, SOPMOD, etc.
-Joe

payj
11-03-10, 01:06
I really like the cheak weld of the emod. It is very comfortable. The batter storage is nice too if you end up needing to use it.

The_War_Wagon
11-03-10, 14:53
I have rifles with BOTH stocks. What it comes down to for me is, what kind of batteries am I running with that rifle setup?

Both work well, both are high quality and will give good service. I use a battery-packed EMod to try and balance out my nose-heavy POF-415. I use the CTR on my BCM middy, because I use an Aimpoint Comp M2 there, and don't need the extra battery storage. I run another CTR on a 14.5" build with a Micro T-1, that I built to be as LIGHT as possible.

Hope that helps clarify a few more issues for you!

CAG - 516
11-03-10, 15:00
Yea the battery storage is nice on certain stocks but Optic wise i run my CompM4 the most and dont really need to keep batteries on hand often.

Either way it comes down to whats most comfortable for the user. Some dont like the cheek weld on the ACS but i happen to love it, just fits really well for my stance/hold. And thats why i purchased one :D

But ive been running my CTR for a year now and will always recommend it, its never let me down in any way.

Moose-Knuckle
11-03-10, 15:46
Both are GTG, with that said I took a Vltor club foot mod-stock off of my Colt and installed a Magpul CTR due to my preferance in having the friction lock. Got tired of the stock rattle.

KentuckyWindage
11-03-10, 21:13
I own both and I prefer the Vltor. The CTR is nice but not as good as the Vltor .

Don Edge
11-03-10, 21:24
Thank you all. I will order the Viltor I-Mod. I apperciate the help.

SuicideHz
11-03-10, 21:37
The Vleetor IMod is approx .8oz heavier than the CTR with buttpad.

I currently own both and like both but use more Vltor stocks because I like the cheek weld they provide, and I feel that they are a little more durable.

LOL WUT? :p

Are you making fun of a certain personality I've seen on TV pronounce Vltor incorrectly?

the correct pronunciation is UL-TORE, correct?

DHart
11-04-10, 03:15
As mentioned above.. personal choice is all it is.

For myself, I immediately preferred the feel of a good cheek weld (SOPMOD) to a minimalist stock. At present, I shoot with an ACS and a SOPMOD. Love them both. I'm sure I would like an iMOD as well. Personally, I prefer to save some weight and rattle where I can reasonably do so, so I don't store stuff in my stock, but I DO very much like the fuller, smooth cheek weld. I think you'll love your new iMOD. That's the next stock I have my eyes on.

709bubblehead
11-05-10, 11:35
I was down to either the Magpul CTR or the Vltor (yes, it's pronounced "Ull-tore. It's the Romanized (with a V instead of a U) spelling of the Latin word "Ultor", meaning "Avenger") Modstock. I went to one of my local shops and tried them both out. The clerk was really helpful. He had run both and preferred the Vltor mostly because the CTR had a tendency to catch his facial hair. Took care of that issue with some range tape. The Vltor caused no probs. I have a beard as well, but what sold me on the Vltor was the cheek weld. The battery storage is nice, but my AR's not a field rifle, so it really came down to the feel of the stock...

87GN
11-05-10, 11:36
I was down to either the Magpul CTR or the Vltor (yes, it's pronounced "Ull-tore. It's the Romanized (with a V instead of a U) spelling of the Latin word "Ultor", meaning "Avenger")

Weird, because every time I talk to someone from Vltor, they say..."Vltor."

709bubblehead
11-05-10, 11:50
That is weird. It's right there on their website lol!

badness
11-05-10, 12:26
speaking of vltors, anyone reading who maybe lives on oahu wanna buy one that's practically brand new? It came off of my m6a2 and kinda just sits around :sarcastic:

TehLlama
11-05-10, 22:03
Don't tempt me Badness... already have a few.

My EMOD and wife's IMOD live quite happily amongst our CTR, ACS, and 4 UBRs.

glockkid88
11-05-10, 22:11
The vltor's battery compartments tend to pull my facial hair if i grow my beard too long. The lmt sopmod stock is my favorite.

Boss Hogg
11-06-10, 08:08
Placing a strip of duct or gaffer's tape will eliminate the facial hair issues with Vltor

Gotta agree with the LAV when he says the iMod is the best stock on the market- or that's what he said on his DD promo video

709bubblehead
11-06-10, 08:29
Yeah, that's what the guy at the shop said he does with his. I keep my beard fairly short most of the time, so it's not really an issue for me...

Hmac
11-06-10, 08:44
A fine bead of silicone in that crack will keep that from happening.

TehLlama
11-07-10, 01:57
To add: this has been my solution for the EMOD.

http://i52.tinypic.com/k4f192.jpg