PDA

View Full Version : BCM or Colt?

mhanna91
11-02-10, 09:31
A buddy of mine is helping me sell my S&W M&P15 (w/ extra gear) for a very fair price, and with the money (around $1550), I am looking to get a top-tier rifle. The two options I am considering most heavily are both NIB. One is a Colt 6920, which I have found for $1099 before tax at a shop about 3 hours away from my house. The other is the BCM 16" mid-length rifle less furnature and sights from G&R which is a shade under $1000 before shipping. I know I cant go wrong with either, but help me decide which one is more right.

Pros for the Colt
-Its a Colt
-Best value retention
-ready to shoot

Pros for BCM
-Midlength gas system
-lifetime warranty as opposed to 1 year on the Colt
-not paying for furnature that I will replace with Magpul MOE anyways

Thoughts please.
Thanks,
Mark

dieselgeek
11-02-10, 09:34
I really like the warranty for the bcm. Seems like the bcm is what you prefer, so that gets my vote

Doc Safari
11-02-10, 09:36
$1099 sounds like a smokin' deal on the Colt. One reason I bought the BCM carbine first is that my dealer quoted around $1200 for the Colt and $1069 for the BCM.

I have heard and can't confirm that Colt is sort of prone to peaks and valleys on their QC, and they are supposedly in a valley right now.

Can't confirm if it's true. Eventually I've got to have the Colt, too, but that rumor helped make me opt for the BCM first. If that rumor is just BS, I'd like to know.

ehcarl2983
11-02-10, 09:48
Personally I like midlength rails/gas system on mine.

A) I like to get my support side hand out farther than 7" carbine length hand guards will allow. The use of a DD FSP rail would allow you to attain this even with a carbine gas system (with some smith work) but that's not an option if you're interested in the Magpul MOE's.

B) the BCM 14.5 Middy is a very soft shooting platform, I would imagine the 16" is as well but I have not personally shot one.

I'm not sure what we can do to help you. All the information you will receive on this thread have already posted in countless other threads here. You can find more information faster by reading them than simply waiting for others to reply to another "Brand X vs Brand Y" thread. Just my .02....

Entropy
11-02-10, 09:54
I own both and I prefer my BCM middy.

MistoGators
11-02-10, 09:55
CDNN is selling LE6920s for $1100 right now.
I'd go for the BCM middy though. You save some $$$, it has a lifetime warranty, and I'd bet that their customer service is a lot better.

mhanna91
11-02-10, 10:25
I actually do not have a preference, that is why I am asking for advice. I am sure that most people wouldn't mind having either one, but BCM does offer more options as far as varying configurations. However, looking at this from a parts-availability standpoint, a carbine length gas system would probably do me better. I have read alot of info on this site, have considered all the variables I know to from parts availabulity to resale value to warranty (reliability seems to be no difference). They come out plum equal in my head. I need to be swayed one way or another somehow.

Whootsinator
11-02-10, 10:41
Having owned neither, and simply looking at both choices objectively, it seems to me like the BCM is the best way to go.

ehcarl2983
11-02-10, 10:46
To me it comes down to how you and your body will naturally want to run the carbine. If you have no experience running AR's there is a bit of a learning curve.

My first AR was a LMT Defender 2000 which has a 16" barrel and carbine length handguards, I put 7" DD Omega rails on it at the time.

As more and more midlengths came out and I got to shoot a couple I realized I really wanted more rail estate. Not to put anything else on the rails, simply to be able to get my support side hand further out. This is how I prefer to shoot, and I believe it helps "drive" the gun.

From what I can tell you need to decide by shooting other people's guns how you feel comfortable running the AR platform, and there you will find your answer.

My .02

Ironbutt
11-02-10, 10:53
Moderators; please put a stop to these BCM/Daniel Defense/Colt threads!

They're putting me in the mood for an early Christmas present & I'm afraid I'm going to hit the "Buy-It-Now" button one of these days.

mhanna91
11-02-10, 10:56
I personally do not know anyone who owns a midlength gun, nor do I know of anyplace I could get ahold of one to shoot it. What I do know is that after re-assessing my shooting technique and switching to running my support hand further forward with thumb on top of the handguard on my carbine-length, I was consistantly burning my thumb on the FSB. With the way I want to shoot, a midlength would do me well, but one could accomplish the same rail length by cutting the FSB down and installing a 10" free float rail on a carbine, which I contemplated doing on my S&W. I just didnt want to put the money into it because I knew that ideally I would rather have a Colt or BCM. I guess the only factor effecting the midlength part of the equation is its mechanical benefits vs. parts availability, which I have read debates on (dont need any clarification there).

lethal dose
11-02-10, 11:04
I'd go bcm, for sure. Mid length gas, outstanding cs, lifetime warranty, and ready to add what you want.

Cameron
11-02-10, 11:10
While "Colt" has some cache, the Bravo Company represents a better value, and better configuration.

I have made two recent AR purchases and went with BCM, I even sold off a Colt upper to get a BCM.

Cameron

C-grunt
11-02-10, 11:12
Id say get the BCM middy if you know you want a longer rail. Why pay more (then even more buying rails, shaving FSB etc...) for the Colt if its not the setup you want?

mhanna91
11-02-10, 11:12
BCM Uppers $385.00 $385.00
Additional Shipping ($3.00)
Length is 16in Mid Length (GOVT PROFILE)
Handguards is Troy MRF-M $215.00 $215.00
Bolt Carrier Group is BCM M16 BCG $139.00 $139.00
Charging Handle is BCM MOD 4 $42.00 $42.00
Flash Suppressor is A2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BCM Lower $340.00 $340.00
Additional Shipping ($9.00)
Lower is Blemished (discounted $90) $-90.00 $-90.00
Bullet Button (Magazine Locking Device) is None
Grip is Magpul MOE (black) $19.00 $19.00
Stock is Magpul MOE (BLACK) $52.00 $52.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magpul Back up Sights
Front Sight Color is No Front Sight
Rear Sight Color is Black $55.00 $55.00

Subtotal: $1157.00

mhanna91
11-02-10, 11:13
I think I may have found my answer.

lethal dose
11-02-10, 12:34
Do it and don't look back. Bcm makes a great product.

mhanna91
11-02-10, 13:04
I guess I was fixated on the complete BCM, and for that pricepoint, I was skeptical because of the fact that it was not ready to go out of the box, but choosing an upper and lower seperately gave me lots more options, and I created a pretty ideal rifle (for myself), ready to go, with the magpul MOE furnature and a Troy FF rail to boot! All for only $57 more than the 6920. G&R will be getting more of my business as soon as my M&P gets sold. One question though, does anyone have any experience with the BCM blem lowers? At a $90 discount, I dont think I can resist. Knicks or scratches wont bother me, as long as it is in-spec and functions correctly. My greatest concern would be discoloration. I would hate to have my lower be a completely different shade of black than the upper. Anyone have any experience with these? Maybe Grant could chime in...

C-grunt
11-02-10, 13:10
I guess I was fixated on the complete BCM, and for that pricepoint, I was skeptical because of the fact that it was not ready to go out of the box, but choosing an upper and lower seperately gave me lots more options, and I created a pretty ideal rifle (for myself), ready to go, with the magpul MOE furnature and a Troy FF rail to boot! All for only $57 more than the 6920. G&R will be getting more of my business as soon as my M&P gets sold. One question though, does anyone have any experience with the BCM blem lowers? At a $90 discount, I dont think I can resist. Knicks or scratches wont bother me, as long as it is in-spec and functions correctly. My greatest concern would be discoloration. I would hate to have my lower be a completely different shade of black than the upper. Anyone have any experience with these? Maybe Grant could chime in...

My buddy had a DD upper on a BCM blem lower. It has one scratch near the front take down pin hole on the right side. Other than that it's completely fine.

hellbound
11-02-10, 13:14
my first AR was a Colt MT6400C at the time, it was the only manufacturer that met all of the basic specs for the M4. out of the box the only failure it had was that POS 9rd "ban" magazine. with pre-ban 30rd USGI mags and even 10rd straight body USA mags it ran 100%. my buddy and i both bought 6400C's within a month of each other, and most of our ammo was steel cased lacquered wolf. aside from the cat piss smell, never an issue.

that was 2002-2003?

8 years later, there are more companies that have decided to take the hint from Colt - at the top of that list is BCM.

i've never had anything but positive experiences with paul and his company.

my wife's 11.5" SBR is a BCM BFH barrel and BCG. it runs flawlessly (although loud with the SF brake).

my Colt and LMT SBRs are waiting on the BCM 14.5" BFH midlength barrels.

while i've never had an issue with any of my carbines, the midlength gas systems i've shot (16" and 18") have been much smoother shooting.

sixfootbrit
11-02-10, 15:02
BCM!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/5140158795_1766e78fc8_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7273846@N05/5140158795/)
MyAR (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7273846@N05/5140158795/) by sixfootbrit (http://www.flickr.com/people/7273846@N05/), on Flickr

BR870
11-02-10, 18:12
$1099 sounds like a smokin' deal on the Colt. One reason I bought the BCM carbine first is that my dealer quoted around $1200 for the Colt and $1069 for the BCM.

I have heard and can't confirm that Colt is sort of prone to peaks and valleys on their QC, and they are supposedly in a valley right now.

Can't confirm if it's true. Eventually I've got to have the Colt, too, but that rumor helped make me opt for the BCM first. If that rumor is just BS, I'd like to know.
I would say that is just a rumor. The Colts I have seen recently have been superb. Colts functional QC has been consistently good since atleast the end of the AWB, though they do not seem to worry as much about cosmetic blemishes as other manufacturers. Even at the height of the election panic, the only complaints you would hear were cosmetic issues...

Colt puts out a massive number of rifles, so the fact that you hear about so few functional issues is a testament to how good their QC really is, and they are the gold standard for a reason. That said, BCM makes a great AR too. Really you cannot go wrong with either...

ETA: The response to your thread should tell you everything you need to know about that rumor
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=65976

Col_Crocs
11-02-10, 19:05
Both great rifles but what do you plan on doing with it? If you plan on taking classes, shooting a lot then get the BCM -- a BFH 16 middy to be exact. Make it you beater rifle
If youre looking at something with value retention, even appreciation, get a classic colt like one of those SP1 or something or even a select fire colt. These things tend to be safe queens though so they should come later.

Celt
11-02-10, 21:16
BCM. You won't regret it.

payj
11-03-10, 01:04
I would get the bcm because of the mid-length system. They also are a smaller company so I think warranty issues (if any) would be taken care of on a more timely basis

mhanna91
11-03-10, 07:57
Well my intended purpose for this rifle is for personal defense, training, and eventually service once I graduate college and get on one of the county departments around here. This is another area I would give Colt the advantage in. Say the department I get on has a wierd requirement for the brand of carbine allowed for duty, such as either Colt or Busmaster, probably the 2 most widely known and used rifles for small departments. I would be SOL with the BCM. This is probably unlikely though, because I know that at the nearest Indiana State Police post, those guys can carry any AR they choose as long as they qualify with it. If I am not mistaken, the adjacent county's Sheriff Dept. Has a pretty relaxed policy on this as well. Maybe it wont be an issue, but who knows. I guess there is a possibility of that happening no matter what brand you have. I have read on this board atleast twice about folks who want to carry their Colts and their department wont allow it because Colt is not one of the "approved" brands. What a joke.

500grains
11-03-10, 13:11
Here is an "IMO".

IMO, Colt fit and finish quality goes up and down over time. I bought a Colt recently and it was fine, but a year ago I saw one that sucked.

For the furniture and the midlength gas, IMO you will be better served by the BCM.

BR870
11-03-10, 13:57
Here is an "IMO".

IMO, Colt fit and finish quality goes up and down over time. I bought a Colt recently and it was fine, but a year ago I saw one that sucked.

For the furniture and the midlength gas, IMO you will be better served by the BCM.

To be fair though, a year ago during the panic, BCM also had its share of cosmetic slip ups. BCM even said something about not making "pretty guns" or something like that. But they always work...

But that was during the panic. All of the companies were running at 110% capacity. It wasn't just a Colt thing....

The_War_Wagon
11-03-10, 14:00
BCM. Colt quality, at a $400 more REASONABLE price! :cool:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/BCM_rifle.jpg

Scotter260
11-03-10, 14:00
I just took delivery of a new 6920 on Monday and got out with it today.

U.S. made with serial # LEO739XX

Zeroing today at 50 yards with 10 shot groups of XM193 from Lot 61. I had to move the rear sight one click left from mechanical zero and that's probably splitting hairs. Otherwise it was dead on POA/POI. This is my third one and all of them have performed similarly (almost identically).

IMO, given your choices, you really aren't going to make a bad decision.

MTechnik
11-03-10, 14:53
I'd say go with whichever comes in a config you want.