PDA

View Full Version : Les Baer, Wilson, Noveske

g5m
11-02-10, 12:52
With all of the posting in favor of the DD and BCM and Colt firearms, I'm just wondering if there are any posters who have extensive experience with some of the more expensive carbines/rifles available, like those mentioned in the title? Or KAC or such.
Are they as reliable as the BCM and DD and Colt? Do they have tighter tolerances perhaps making them less reliable? Or are there just not enough out there in general use to make any comments?
Searching really doesn't bring up a lot on these.

C-grunt
11-02-10, 13:01
Noveske and KAC are reliable. I have no experience at all with Les Baer or Wilson.

Grumbler
11-02-10, 13:16
My Noveske has been flawless now for a couple of years.
No experience with the others.

brianc142
11-02-10, 13:26
I think Noveske is as good or better than anything else out there. That is an opinion of course but it's based on extensive use of their products. I have owned and own a variety of their uppers, both stainless and chf barrels and they are top notch in the reliability and accuracy departments. I have never owned a Les Baer and owned one Wilson 1911, which was a nice gun. I also agree with most others here that Daniel Defense and BCM make outstanding products as well.

d90king
11-02-10, 13:39
I think if you spend some time using the search feature that you will learn a lot about Noveske and their standing in the AR community. The other two IMHO are simply big names who are out of their lane...

They should both stick with 1911 as they both are great at that.

jonconsiglio
11-02-10, 13:56
I've owned Wilson and Baer 1911's and they're great, but they are in the top 5 1911 companies that have added AR's. Noveske is in the top 5 AR companies that focus on their main product, AR's.

This is not to say Baer and Wilson do not make fine AR's. Baer has some great precision rifles and their AR's are great for accuracy from what I understand. Wilson does some great work on 870's, as does Nighthawk, and it appears that they apply certain aspects from 1911 building to their AR's like their Armor-Tuff, fitting, focus on accuracy, etc. Again, not a bad thing at all, but it's not their primary focus.

Hell, Rock River probably made better 1911's that they do rifles, so sometimes some companies make better secondary products than their main line.

Noveske makes great stuff. Their lowers are of the best quality, their barrels are accurate and durable and their uppers are more than most people need. I've not needed their CS, but I'm sure it's just as good as Wilson's. Baer can be a little harder to deal with, but that's not to say you won't be taken care of.

From now on, most anything I buy will be KAC or BCM but I will continue to run my Noveske lower that I still have left. The upper was great but I got an offer I couldn't pass a while back. I hope whatever you get, you enjoy the hell out of it.

Jonathan

g5m
11-02-10, 15:00
Thanks for the info. It pretty much confirms my thoughts. And, d90king, I think my post addressed your search function mention.