PDA

View Full Version : Replacing sights on Gen 4 Glock

lightsareout
11-02-10, 12:59
How difficult is it to replace the sights on a Gen 4? Is it something a gunsmith has to do?

ChicagoTex
11-02-10, 15:41
It's exactly the same as on the previous gen Glocks, the sights are the same too.

Whether or not you feel you can do it yourself or you need a gunsmith to do it is a personal decision. Most people who are experienced in such things agree that Glocks are about the easiest guns made for DIY sight swapping (primarily because the front sight is mechanically centered), but you're still gonna have to put the slide in a vise and tap out the rear with a punch (or use a sight pusher if you have one). There are lots of videos on how to do this all over the net, I suggest you take a thorough look at them and then decide whether or not you're comfortable to perform the task yourself.

JHC
11-02-10, 17:49
+1

I'm not too handy and I change out Glock sights like my socks with a padded vice, punch and hammer for the rear and the simple hex Glock sight wrenches for the fronts.

Robb Jensen
11-02-10, 17:57
How difficult is it to replace the sights on a Gen 4? Is it something a gunsmith has to do?

Same as a Gen 1, 2 & 3......cake.

donlapalma
11-02-10, 18:13
I just recently changed out sights on a G19 gen 4 with no prior experience. I purchased a MGW sight pusher and glock front sight tool. It was awfully simple just as the others have said. I did a little research, watched some youtube videos and followed suit. The cost of the sight pusher was no big deal to me because I do plan to purchase more Glocks in the future so it should result in a savings in the long run. Go for it!

AJSully421
11-03-10, 12:14
If you look around after christmas, some places have strange things like sight pushers on sale. I got one a few years ago from a small .com that was going under for less than half price.

Look around, there are deals to be had. And changing sights on a glock is VERY easy with the right tools.

lightsareout
11-03-10, 14:40
defiantly sounds doable, thanks for the input!