PDA

View Full Version : Lanterns; Propane or kerosene?

MTR7
11-02-10, 17:18
Folks:
I am hoping for some input on my next larger prep purchase. If I/we ever experience any Bad Craziness, it is likely that I will Bug In as I will need to be close to my kids. And I also have no belief that the interstate road system around the area I live in west of Wash DC will be able to handle the large quantity of cars attempting to exfil from this area (9/11 was a mess here roads wise).

So I want to pick up a couple of lanterns, four sets of spare parts and a few hundred dollars worth of fuel. What is best ( i.e. cost, cost of fuel, reliability, ability to be field serviced). So propane (Coleman type) or a kerosene type.

Thanks for the input.
Matt aka Big Pepsi

kartoffel
11-02-10, 17:49
Kerosene lamps are dirt simple and can you can make your own wicks from cotton rags. Downside: they're not very bright, and they tend to soot up.

Gas lamps are super bright. They don't have to be propane, either (coleman stove fuel, for instance) Downside: mantles are a scarce commodity and they're fragile.

I'd probably consider both: mantle-based lanterns for short-term problems, and old fashioned wick-based lamps for serious TEOTWAWKI (or just for the ambiance of warm flickering light).

kmrtnsn
11-02-10, 18:54
For general use, camping or outdoor activities you can't beat the easy packing and use of propane. For an emergency I like having a few old kerosene lanterns around. Google the ingredients of "lamp oil". In a pinch you can blend it yourself.

01tundra
11-03-10, 07:18
Perfect timing :)! I've been starting to research oil lamps since our electricity goes out at least a few times throughout the winter.

I have a lot of gas camp lights and flashlights, but would rather not use up all my fuel/batteries.

Since I don't know a lot about oil lamps, I really don't know what to look for. I read somewhere that the better lamps are the older hurricane style (?).

I'm assuming that I would want at least two, one for each level of my house, but four lamps would probably be better to have on hand.

I looked at Aladdin's site, but damn they're expensive. I'm not going for a classic victorian look here.....just want something durable/dependable that puts off light.

So my main questions so far are:

1. Does anyone know what I should be looking for and where, when it comes to oil lamps?

2. Is there a known average burn rate that can help me figure out about how far a 5-gal can of Kerosene would last us?

3. Is there a known average life for the wicks if only used during emergency situations? I don't know if I need 1, 10, or 1,000 spares on hand to get us through a few days (week?) without power.

Thanks.

*Edit - I found a Coleman camp light that runs off unleaded gas.......I can't decide if that's brilliant or scary :)?

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=3000000923&categoryid=1015&brand=

01tundra
11-03-10, 07:55
OK.....it didn't take me long to figure out that there's a big difference between typing "oil lamp" and "kerosene lantern" in google :D.

I found this Rothco lantern, that has good reviews. It appears to only use kerosene (no lamp oil), but I think for emergency use kerosene would be preferred due to availability anyways?

http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-740-Kerosene-Lantern-Tall/dp/B000GP1ICS

Anyone own or have any experience with one of these?

The more I read about lanterns very similar to this one, I'd say if you put a new wick in you could switch over to lamp oil, it's all fuel oil at the end of the day.

*EDIT - I decide to go ahead and order a few, I'll report back on what I think about them.

Also heard good things about Dietz lanterns from here - http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WKL&Category_Code=DL -and here - http://www.lehmans.com/store/Lamps_Lights___Lanterns?Args=&view_all=&sort_by=

HETZ1313
11-03-10, 08:56
I have seen some hand crank lanterns that look ok. Not as bright as a fuel one but unlimited elbow power.

LonghunterCO
11-03-10, 11:58
Did anyone else see the "Best Defence Survival" episode (I think that it was the "Bug IN" one) where Janis (sp?) talked about using those solar walk way lights, scattered in your home to light areas after dark (could be placed outside during the day and then brought in). I liked the idea of no fuel and no open flame but questioned how many it would take to light up a given area...

11-03-10, 13:23
W.T. Kirkman lamps are excellent quality. Just bought two No. 2 Champions with reflecting hoods. Works with kerosene and lamp oil. Company has a great reputation. lanternnet.com Can also pick up rolls of wick from them. I bought two lanterns, (2) 33' rolls of wick, and two spare parts set; all for around $170. I bought all the lamp oil at Wally World for around $3.75/bottle.

I also bought a quality set(8) of solar lights at Lowes for approx. $95. For several months when I went to Wally World I picked up unscented pillar candles until I had a tub full. Bought 6 of the glass hurricane jars for the candles at $3 each. Went to the camping section and they carry a good hand crank light/radio/cell charger for $44; bought two. I will consider my lighting preps GTG when I add 4 more 33' rolls of wick, 50 more candles, and 20 rechargeable batteries for the solar lights. It's not like the candles will go bad and the lamp oil isn't so expensive that I can't rotate it out every several years. I just store it all in plastic bins in the basement. Every so often I bust out some candles for a little ambiance. Wife loves it and keeps her on board. Best Defense Survival viewing also helps. I guess you can say we were "lucky" to go through Lenny while living on Sint Maarten and Katrina in NOLA. She goes for prepping.

01tundra
11-03-10, 13:58
Right after I ordered the other lanterns I stummbled across the W.T. Kirkman No. 2 Champion with reflecting hood and couldn't resist ordering one, I like the classic look of it and have a great home for it up on my mantel :D.

11-03-10, 14:37
If there is a better lantern, I like to know about it, hopefully this thread will bring it out.

John W
11-03-10, 15:31
Check out the coleman international lanterns. They are multi-fuel and accept gasoline.

You can do the same with your stoves (MSR makes great international stoves) and keep your gear standardized.

Mark/MO
11-03-10, 20:34
Did anyone else see the "Best Defence Survival" episode (I think that it was the "Bug IN" one) where Janis (sp?) talked about using those solar walk way lights, scattered in your home to light areas after dark (could be placed outside during the day and then brought in). I liked the idea of no fuel and no open flame but questioned how many it would take to light up a given area...

I saw that and felt it was a pretty good idea. Actually I was surprised I hadn’t thought of it before. Probably not as bright as a lamp but would be adequate for many uses. I'm planning to acquire a few and make a bases out of wood to place them in that would keep them upright, much like a conventional lamp.

As far as lamps we have a Coleman dual fuel lantern which is great and comes in handy for the extended power outages that sometimes occur. I always keep 3-4 extra sets of mantles due to their fragility. As a boy we had several kerosene lamps that were used frequently. Very adequate but compared to the Coleman it seems almost dim.

Kbovine
11-04-10, 10:00
When storing fuel, I've always been told that kerosene is far better because it's not as flammable/dangerous as propane. Propane can be super dangerous if there's a leak; kerosene--you could throw a lit match in the middle of some kerosene and it would more than likely go out.

01tundra
11-04-10, 11:35
I think I'm going to pick up a couple gallons of the high-dollar kerosene substitute, since our power goes off a lot in the winter. I'll keep a 5-gal can of real kerosene out in the garage.....just in case we're without power long enough to not give a shit if the house stinks with kerosene :D.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100112454&navFlow=3&keyword=391-171&langId=-1&searchRedirect=391-171&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.integration.endeca.EndecaDataBean%402ff0684b&ddkey=Search

11f2d
11-04-10, 20:19
I collect old miners lamps. These are small and can be worn on hard hats or your belt. They are powered by Carbide and water. Carbide can be found in a lot of hardware stores. These lamps are bright and odorless. They store in small places until needed.
11f2d
chuck m

MTR7
11-08-10, 06:41
Guys
thanks for the help. I have started off with a Coleman dual fuel. next month I will pick up a couple kerosene units. Great info, thanks.
Matt aka Toxic

motorwerks
11-08-10, 13:06
I was in this same debate about a year ago, then my mom gave a Coleman LED lantern. It's pretty bright and I have a HUGE stock of D battery's anyway. I've been working on a way to charge battery's during the day with solar as well.

kartoffel
11-08-10, 20:08
I collect old miners lamps. These are small and can be worn on hard hats or your belt. They are powered by Carbide and water. Carbide can be found in a lot of hardware stores. These lamps are bright and odorless. They store in small places until needed.
11f2d
chuck m

That's not a bad idea. Carbide miners' lamps... this forum always impresses me with the good knowledge :)

August
11-14-10, 18:16
I have a simple Kerosene lamp and an Aladdin Kerosene lamp.

The simple lamp gets deployed a couple of times a year in power outage. The Aladdin lamp gets used maybe once every two years when a power outage runs into more than an hour, or so.

Aladdin lamps are (almost) as good as electric light. They don't do much for keeping the 'fridge cooled off, however.

RiggerGod
11-14-10, 19:31
Though it wasn't mentioned yet something I took into account when getting lanterns for our frequent power outages/hurricane preps was heat generation. Possibly not a huge issue in most of the US but definitely a consideration for those in the lower half of the country. Accordingly I bought two Colman LED lanterns one an AC/DC rechargeable and the other is powered by 4 D-cell batteries. I figured the multiple power options could come in handy for a prolonged outage and either one will provide decent light for one room.

Another thing I didn't see mentioned for long term use is using mirrors to amplify the light produced &/or shine it in useful directions. A good way to get a bit more bang for your buck. This is something I intend to do once I get the heck out of FL!

CLHC
12-07-10, 23:18
The only two (2) Coleman lanterns that I have are:

NorthStar InstaStart Propane Lantern

Premium Dual Fuel Lantern

These work fine for my purposes, but must say that the NSIS Propane is much brighter than the latter.

I also have the lantern spark igniter that I attached to the Dual Fuel lantern which comes in quite handy. Matches/lighters are on standby.

davidz71
12-08-10, 20:52
I've had a Coleman Dual Fuel lantern for over 12 years. I bought 10 gallons of Coleman fuel prior to Y2K and finally finished the last one in 2008. All of it stored fine in the garage and there was no problem with lighting or light output. I use it occasionally on camping/hunting trips but it has gotten its workout during several long power outages over the last 10 years. I've only used low lead fuel in it one time but I like the Coleman fuel just fine.

I've also had a GAZ back pack propane/butane lantern and 5 or 6 canisters for about the same time. I use it least of my lanterns but it is small and easily packed away. It is tough to light when the weather gets in the teens. 14 degrees can be tough in a tent.

We have 4 or 5 kerosene oil lamps around the house which were also handy during the power outages especially for each of the rooms.

These have all been supplemented with a number of flashlights ranging from several Mag lights, a Surefire 9Z Combat light, a cheap AA powered LED light from Lowes and 3 SuperSabrelights C cell powered lights. They have all come in handy one way or another.

Pilgrim
12-08-10, 21:39
The problem I'm having with my Coleman propane lantern is that the mantles are fragile, and break apart in the van where it is stored. The other problem is the lantern gives off a huge amount of heat. Power here in the deep south tends to go out when it is warm (Hurricane Katrina for example). If you turn the lantern up, the sound it makes also goes up. The lantern I have is capable of putting out shockingly high degrees of light.

The last time I used the lantern was in a restaurant... we were having supper in a crowded rural seafood place when a storm took the power out, there were no back up lights in the dining area, so I vent out to the ultimate survival van and got my Coleman lantern. The mantles was broke... so I got a new one charred and installed... fired the lantern up and it lit the whole dining area up, it also heated the place up to rather uncomfortable levels, and the noise it generated was a little annoying, but we needed the light to eat by, so we sweated it out.

I've got a few oil lamps also, very reliable and dirt cheap. The cleaner the fuel you use, the cleaner they burn. A survival must have.

davidz71
12-09-10, 22:30
You are right about the fragile mantles. I always keep 3 or 4 double packs around just in case.

CLHC
12-12-10, 17:39
You are right about the fragile mantles. I always keep 3 or 4 double packs around just in case.

Here here! Also, is it alright to run the lantern when there's a hole in the mantle, even if temporarily?

Blstr88
12-13-10, 02:44
Check out the coleman international lanterns. They are multi-fuel and accept gasoline.

You can do the same with your stoves (MSR makes great international stoves) and keep your gear standardized.

x2 - anything that can also use gasoline is your best bet, since at any given time you'll have a decent supply of it sitting in your driveway

rat31465
12-13-10, 08:47
I have considered this same scenario and determined that the brighter Coleman lanterns may actually be a detriment in a real life SHTF scenario.
The extra light may just be the thing that draws attention to you when you least want it as well as putting you and your family at an increased risk of Carbon Monoxide poisioning if used within an enclosed area. These also produce alot more heat...which may be a plus in the winter months, but are definantley not wanted in the middle of the summer.

While I have both a Single mantle Coleman Model 100 as well as one of the duel fuel Coleman lanterns....I also have several Kerosene Lanters and lamps for basic lighting around the home...which allows me to save the Coleman Lanterns for times when more light is necessary.

Suwannee Tim
12-13-10, 19:36
I have two Coleman dual fuel lanterns, I think I have run them once or twice each. I bought LED headlights and lanterns and they have made the fuel lanterns obsolete for my purposes. No fire hazard with LED and long battery life make them very useful. I have Princeton Tech Apex (http://www.princetontec.com/index.php?q=apex) and a Princeton Tech Corona (http://www.princetontec.com/index.php?q=corona) both of which I highly recommend. Also, I have a couple of Essential Gear lanterns (http://www.essentialgear.com/store/p/49-10-Day-Lantern.html) which I am very pleased with.

usmcvet
12-14-10, 06:26
I have two dual fuel coleman lanterns used for camping and hunting camp. I have one coleman propane lantern it is Very brite and requires no pumping but fuel is a PITA and bulky. A 20# or 40# propane cylinder goes along way camping or bugging in. The propane is not messyor dangerous to fill either.

davidz71
12-15-10, 21:23
I have considered this same scenario and determined that the brighter Coleman lanterns may actually be a detriment in a real life SHTF scenario.
The extra light may just be the thing that draws attention to you when you least want it as well as putting you and your family at an increased risk of Carbon Monoxide poisioning if used within an enclosed area. These also produce alot more heat...which may be a plus in the winter months, but are definantley not wanted in the middle of the summer.

While I have both a Single mantle Coleman Model 100 as well as one of the duel fuel Coleman lanterns....I also have several Kerosene Lanters and lamps for basic lighting around the home...which allows me to save the Coleman Lanterns for times when more light is necessary.

The good thing is that I can turn the brightness down to a glow with my Dual fuel but you are correct, it sure lights up the house from the outside when ithe knob is opened up all the way.

usmcvet
12-15-10, 21:29
Another thing to think of is your other gear. I have a propane and dual fuel stove. Depending on where I am going depends on which I use. The propane rocks for car camping where weight and room are not as big a deal. Thunti.g camp the dual fuel works better because there is less to carry in. Extra mantles are a must. I've wanted the single burner coleman dual fuel stove for a while. Any of you guys using one?

rat31465
12-16-10, 07:37
I've wanted the single burner coleman dual fuel stove for a while. Any of you guys using one?

I have one of the Coleman Dual Fuel Sportster II's SIngle burners....It pretty much works as advertised.
1 1/2 hours on a 1.2 pint tank of fuel. A gallon of either Coleman fuel or fresh Unleaded gasoline lasts a good long time.
https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=1584
With a heat rating of 10'500 BTU's it will boil a quart of liquid very quickly.
If you live in a colder region...I would definantley recommed buying and using the starter pastes which in essence pre heat the stove to help ensure that fuel is properly atomized when it enters the generator.
I have a recipe for a homemade version which you can make fairly easily and makes a great fire starter for damp wood even.

I like the stove overall but consider it a little bulky for a back packer.
I paid $43.00 for mine at the local Wally World.

Here is a link to a site with several reviews.
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/coleman/sportster-dual-fuel-ii/

usmcvet
12-16-10, 07:41
Yeah my MSR.would be better for back packing. The Coleman would be great for heating water up for the french press or percoltor while camping.

rat31465
12-16-10, 07:45
I bought mine with the idea being to use it for Car Camping and as a stove for a possible bug in scenario. I have set it up in the house inside my fireplace...(Well Vented of course) and used it with my old 8-cup coffee pot.
I have a 13 oz Stainless Steel Sierra cup which it will bring to boil within a very short time for reconstituting soup and other dehydrated foods.
Overall I like mine and consider it a good buy.

High Desert
12-16-10, 10:39
Here is a good source for oil, kerosene and other non electric items. We have several oil lamps, Alladin lamps and outdoor lanterns purchased from them. I like kerosene because it stores so well.

http://www.lehmans.com

HD

GitmoSmoke
12-16-10, 11:50
Check out Miles Stair's websites for more information on primative lighting. He also runs a web store for lamps and kerosene heating and cooking. Lehmans has a non electric catalog that has many things we use when the power is out.
http://www.milesstair.com/
http://www.endtimesreport.com/
http://www.lehmans.com/

762xIan
12-21-10, 03:20
My setup and my reasoning:

I like the white gas Coleman lanterns. Once you are out of propane, you are out. With the dual fuel ability of the Coleman, in addition to coleman fuel, gasoline will work. I keep a spare pump kit and a dozen or so spare mantels. When you need bright light you can't beat them. To go with my lamps I also have a white gas single burner stove and a 2 burner stove.

Moderate lighting I have several Kerosene Lamps, and a couple of hurricane types. They give off a fair amount of light for many uses. One thing I will say is to steer clear of the Chinese made ones you find in Walmart. They are cheap, and the seams often leak, also the wicks and controls are shit and hard to keep a nice clean fire without smoke. You will spend more on quality kero lamps but they are well worth it.

Don't forget CANDLES! There are several types of long lasting survival type candles out there. I have several.

My use of Kerosene is twofold, in a pinch I also have a Kero heater that is normally out in my workshop/garage. During a bad winter storm 2 years ago the power was out for 5 days. What a great way to check all your preps :eek:. Between the wood stove and the Kero heater the house was toasty warm. We ran our generator intermittently only a few hours a day to keep the fridge/freezers cold and run the well pump to fill water jugs.

This is what has been working well for me.

Robryan
01-29-11, 01:26
I have all type of lantern that I have use for camping over the years, coleman propane mantle, coleman fuel mantle, coleman multi fuel, also a large lantern made by petromax that will burn almost any type of fuel. But now with these new led head lamps I believe they are all almost obsolete, why light up an area where you are not looking. 3 aa batteries will last a few days in a led head lamp and if you are thinking of a shtf situation then get rechargeable batteries and a small solar battery charger. If you got kids get one for each kid, wal-mart sells them now cheaply. But if you need to light a area up the propane lanterns are less of a hassle then the liquid fuel types and if you have children I think it may be the way to go as the fuel type requires pumping every once and a while unless you can find a co2 pressurize that replaces the fill cap. So with led head lamps you have the following advantages, maintenance, price, weight, size, portably, won't draw bugs like lanterns, won't use your fuel up, and if used with rechargeable batteries and solar charger could give you light for years.

3 AE
02-11-11, 07:27
FYI Here's a link to Coleman on the shelf life of their fuels. http://coleman.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63/~/shelf-life-of-coleman%E2%AE-fuel

Robryan
02-11-11, 11:33
FYI Here's a link to Coleman on the shelf life of their fuels. http://coleman.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63/~/shelf-life-of-coleman%E2%AE-fuel

Because coleman fuel is gasoline that has been refined more and doesn't have the additives I use it to run small engines before they are going to be set up for long periods such as my lawn mower and generator. I believe coleman fuel is the same thing as white gas.

indawire
02-22-11, 22:18
I collect various decades of kerosene lanterns aka: barn lamps. You can get them at tag sales, flea markets etc for anywhere from $5 TO $20. I get the older Dietz or other made in the USA lanterns, spare parts lamps can be had for next to nothing. The kero lamps do require more attention than battery or propane lamps but just fit the tool to the job, ie: don't expect the same kind of bright light we take for granted. Generations of our forefathers lived and died with them for the lack of an alternative. It's a lot better than plan B. Don't store the kero in the lamp if you don't plan on using it for a while, I've rescued more than one lamp with a gummy blob in the fuel bowl because grandpa put it away filled and no one used it since. Store the fuel bulk (5 gal cans) with some diesel conditioner in it and rotate it once a year. The wicks and spare glass is about all you need to replace what breaks or burns.

condition 1
02-27-11, 09:14
I think its best to have all kinds of lanterns, inside,outside, propane, battery, coleman fuel-(white gas),kerosene, unleaded ect... it just depends on your needs at the time, I have 15 or more Coleman lanterns and stoves, all of the above, and a few Hurricane lamps, these are always ready to light, easy for the wife, she also likes some candles and Surefires around, By far my favorite is a Petromax lantern by Bright-lyt, this lantern will run on anthing that is flameable, it has a NSN# and has been used in Astan. its a bit $$$ but worth the cost, if i had to take a lantern with me it would be this one, its worth a look.....

appliance brad
02-27-11, 13:15
Living in the country, we have power outages a couple times a year. We have a half dozen kerosene lamps that we use when we need to light the house at night. Since we have a couple of kerosene heaters as well for back up heat we always have 20+gallons of kerosene on hand. All our lanterns are Dietz models. They take little maintenance and are always ready to go, just turn up the wick and light.

We have Coleman lanterns for camping. I have an ancient white gas only model and 2 Dual Fuels which work very well. I bought the first one after we were camping up in northern Ontario and ended up paying something like $12 for a gallon of Coleman fuel when we ran out. Now we have a single burner and 2 burner stove that will run on gasoline as well as the lanterns.

For home use, I'd suggest the kerosene lamps as you don't have to worry about mantles or pumping them, just light and go.