PDA

View Full Version : Saw a crazy handgun shooting position on military channel

drkhrt532
11-02-10, 18:57
So watchin the military channel, a show about hard jobs, this time its on Airforce PJs.
During weapons training, it shows a PJ shoot from a fetal position, lying on his side.
The guy sits down, crosses his ankles, brings his knees up, pinching his arms at the wrists between his legs, and rolls on his side.
He was apparently hitting targets pretty far off. Dunno how far, roughly 70m.
Anyone care to tell me about this?
Thanks

travistheone
11-02-10, 19:03
It sounds like some interesting positions that big bore pistol hunters use.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9ygn3isqbm_DbtABM5_xeBZJiUm2dz9BJ-W36BEfwQhr6XqU&t=1&usg=__uWi9wU2Zy5v0qXIRKZ1P39Guymk=

longball
11-02-10, 20:51
I saw something similar on Top Sniper a while back (military channel if my memory serves me right). The team was shooting immediately after some physical task that had their heart rate jacked up. They are using the larger muscles of their legs to help steady the smaller muscles that are more effected by fatigue.

drkhrt532
11-02-10, 21:34
Sounds like a sound theory, was that the actual intent? or speculation?

longball
11-02-10, 22:24
Sounds like a sound theory, was that the actual intent? or speculation?
That was the concept described by the narrator during the show. My apopogies, I should have been more clear about that.

Physiologically(sp), it does make sense to me though. Now I am curious to find out how well this works. I'll give it a shot and report back here on what I find out.

drkhrt532
11-02-10, 22:38
I tried some dryfire in my home (checked for safety of course) with my M9. Works pretty solid, even on a double action trigger press.
Going to try it at the range on vets day

John_Wayne777
11-03-10, 07:26
The guy sits down, crosses his ankles, brings his knees up, pinching his arms at the wrists between his legs, and rolls on his side.
He was apparently hitting targets pretty far off. Dunno how far, roughly 70m.
Anyone care to tell me about this?
Thanks

In the real world you may occasionally be called upon to shoot from awkward positions, like laying on the ground. By drawing up his knees and pinching his wrists between them, the shooter was creating a very stable shooting position that would allow him to maximize his accuracy.

TY44934
11-03-10, 10:48
In the real world you may occasionally be called upon to shoot from awkward positions, like laying on the ground. By drawing up his knees and pinching his wrists between them, the shooter was creating a very stable shooting position that would allow him to maximize his accuracy.

Yes - that is why I used to do a lot of combat competition pistol shooting, such as IPSC, IDPA and 3gun.

NO match you shoot in these 3 types of shoots will be like any match you have shot before. And, you will NEVER shoot that same match again - ever. Each one is different & each offers new challenges.

I've shot from point blank, even "from retention" out to 50 yards or more at torso-shaped targets. Shot through doorways, windows, from paltforms, etc. Shot from simulated cars, beds, chairs, etc. Shot while standing, sitting, prone & everything in between. Have shot in Blackwater's 360 degree bulletproof shoot houses & other structures. Have shot is sun, rain, snow & dim light to no light situations (weapon mounted or handheld light only).

If you are not shooting competition, you are missing out on quite a bit IMHO.

Ziptie
11-03-10, 16:18
OP- Elmer Keith ring a bell?

zpo
11-04-10, 17:50
So watchin the military channel, a show about hard jobs, this time its on Airforce PJs.

I saw that part, it was mentioned that one reason was to sacrifice the lower body when there wasn't cover. The instructor said something like "You will take rounds, but the vitals will be protected."

Metallicus
11-04-10, 21:32
i saw the same thing on top sniper according to them it was for accuarcy because the event was graded more on accuracy then speed
they were using nighthawk custom grps, that thet won in the competition the year before.

variablebinary
11-04-10, 21:41
I saw that part, it was mentioned that one reason was to sacrifice the lower body when there wasn't cover. The instructor said something like "You will take rounds, but the vitals will be protected."

An AK47 could put a serious dent in that theory.

Suwannee Tim
11-05-10, 12:16
I'm trying to visualize this position. Is the handgun held 90 degrees to the normal sights up hold?

aflin
11-05-10, 13:03
This is why I can hardly take some military guys seriously...Fetal position, ankles crossed? I have a hard time grasping a airfoce PJ instructor seriously teaching this method. I have much respect for PJ's nonetheless

gunnut284
11-05-10, 20:03
I have shot from this position (or something similar) in a class before. It was very stable and easy to make hits.

CENTCOM_Survivor
11-05-10, 20:27
I've also shot this position in the Army. It is very stable but I haven't found a need for it since then.

El Gato
11-05-10, 20:36
Fetal Prone...
lying on the side in a fetal and engage the target with the gun roughly on it's side..

remember the sights are set to account for gravity...pulling the bullet toward the ground...
the bullet crosses the line of sight two times in it's flight...now, you are lying on your side and the bullet is rising in relation to the sights..or right/left depending upon which side you are lying on...
and gravity is still pulling the bullet toward the ground...

so say at 50 yards when I'm shooting 180 gr. rounds in my duty glock 22... and I'm lying on might left side, the gun at 45 degrees to the target... on a Q target, I aim roughly on the right shoulder to hit center...

dieselgeek
11-05-10, 20:57
I tried some dryfire in my home (checked for safety of course) with my M9. Works pretty solid, even on a double action trigger press.
Going to try it at the range on vets day

Good thing we now know you checked for safety!:laugh:

tpd223
11-06-10, 00:45
Jim Cirillo used to teach variations of the fetal position, for want of a better term right now, for shooting from the ground, especially if you are wounded and firing with one hand.

Clamping the shooting wrist between the knees if you are laying on your side gives you a very stable position for getting hits at longer range, or steadying the gun so you don't have that dreaded "limp wrist" stoppage.

I have used the sitting position shown in the picture (is that Skeeter?) for making hits at very long range (for a pistol that is).