PDA

View Full Version : What's the better of these two uppers?

rezin23
11-03-10, 00:57
Of these two, which is the better value? Is the extra $66 worth it? I don't intend to shoot thousands of rounds, it would be primarily a SHTF/HD rifle.

CMMG 16" SS M10 5.56 stainless steel w/ 1/7 twist, midlength YHM free float lightweight quad rail, forward assist, dust cover, front sight tower, detachable flash hider. $545 http://www.marksarmory.com/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_104001/4dba26778a30c360ffff86f1ffffe415.JPG

Spikes Tactical Complete Mid-Length 5.56/.223 Upper Receiver assemblies. Each Features: M4 flat top upper receiver, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish, T-markings, Spike's logo and M4 feed ramps. The 16" Barrel is 4150 Chrome-moly Vanadium Alloy, M4 barrel extension, Chrome chamber and bore, 5.56mm NATO chamber, 1:7 Twist, Magnetic particle testing, with a Phosphate finish. Government Profile with Mid-Length gas system. The Barrel is Phosphate finished under the F marked A2 front sight base. The M16 carriers are Chrome lined with a Mil-Spec phosphate finish. Forged Mil-Spec carrier key, Chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 hardware and Properly staked. MP tested bolt, Each extractor is fitted with a Mil-Spec black insert and Mil-Spec Viton o-ring. $479
https://www.aimsurplus.com/EOS/images/product/xstu5035.jpg

Thanks guys

payj
11-03-10, 01:02
The Spikes is better for sure.

durus5995
11-03-10, 02:12
The Spikes is better for sure.

I echo that statement as well. I would personally go with spikes due to great customer service and attention to detail during assembly. You will find that CMMG is on the left side of the "chart" vs Spikes who falls more in line with "milspec".

ucrt
11-03-10, 06:50
I echo that statement as well. I would personally go with spikes due to great customer service and attention to detail during assembly. You will find that CMMG is on the left side of the "chart" vs Spikes who falls more in line with "milspec".

Actually, CMMG is on the "right" side of the Chart.

The_Hammer_Man
11-03-10, 06:50
If you'll notice in the description about the Spikes upper a LONG list of what tests the components have passed.

Now look at the CMMG descriptions and you won't find that information. Why? Because they haven't executed those tests or, have batch tested their components rather than individually.

The fabrication of a superior fire arm is the willingness to take meticulous care in the choosing and assembly of it's parts.

While the CMMG upper does come with a stainless barrel I would still go with the Spikes.

jetspeed8
11-03-10, 07:32
CMMG not listing their features and only providing a basic description of the upper makes a strong case for the Spikes Tactical upper..

jasonhgross
11-03-10, 07:44
From my experiences with both Spike's and CMMG, I would actually go with the CMMG. But the CMMG I had was from about 4 years ago, no idea how they are now.

Col_Crocs
11-03-10, 07:54
Spikes between the 2 options but BCM sells standard 16 middy uppers for $385. Way cheaper and better option. Even their HF 16 middy upper is slightly cheaper at $475.

pcardinal42
11-03-10, 08:07
I have a CMMG I got earlier this year and have put over 600 rounds through it, not much compared to most on the site but I haven't had any failures with mine. Looking at the chart if you upgrade to a Colt, BCM, or Daniel Defense BCG you actually come out with a pretty decent setup.

MTechnik
11-03-10, 08:30
I have a YHM light rail, and I wouldn't buy another.

It is too wide (like holding a roll of paper towels) and the edges on it are sharp. You have to run ladder covers on it, or use gloves. Not that it doesn't work, but I'd rather put my money towards other items.

The non-chrome-lined nature of the stainless steel barrel will probably yield better precision than the chrome lining on the Spikes.

If you're looking for a range toy to put a scope on and shoot from a bench, the CMMG looks like the better gun. But the CMMG doesn't go through the same level of testing that the Spikes barrel does.

If you're looking for something for carbine classes and to trust your life to using for defense, I'd get the spikes. The slight loss in accuracy for not free-floating and having chrome lining don't matter in a fighting carbine.

MTechnik
11-03-10, 08:32
Spikes between the 2 options but BCM sells standard 16 middy uppers for $385. Way cheaper and better option. Even their HF 16 middy upper is slightly cheaper at $475.

I believe the $479 price for the Spikes includes the BCG.

Rmplstlskn
11-03-10, 08:47
it would be primarily a SHTF/HD rifle

With just the above as criteria, I'd say between the two only, other options not included, the SPIKES is the way to go...

But the SPIKE is most likely to get aftermarket modified... (handguards, rails for light, sling, etc...) Which means more $$$ spent.

Rmpl

CCFD1414
11-03-10, 08:59
I prefer Spikes

jjw
11-03-10, 10:42
actually if u are going to defend ur life u might want to splurge and spend what it takes

i heartily recommend a d.d. 14.5 with a welded f/hider. its the best in the business.

good luck

ST911
11-03-10, 10:56
Is there a third choice? At or about that price point, one could have a known-good, like a BCM.

CAG - 516
11-03-10, 10:57
In this situation......Spikes hands down is my preference.

A friend of mine has a few years older CMMG and he says he wouldnt buy another.

I would take a look at BCM uppers as well, ull probably find one for cheaper than the Spikes and no need to speak on the quality of the BCM :)

Stickman
11-03-10, 11:01
While there is dislike towards Spikes Tactical from a small core group of persons on this board, they don't make a bad product.

BCM has also been brought up, and there is no question that they make a great product. I'm doing long term eval on BCM right now running one of the uppers as a duty weapon, and having another which is spending lots of time with MIL and LE guys.

dail621
11-03-10, 11:01

I second that. If your stuck on the two I'd go Spikes.

C4IGrant
11-03-10, 11:07
Spikes.

C4

Stickman
11-03-10, 11:09

The BCM is not coming with a charging handle, bolt carrier group, handguards, or buffer. BCM is great stuff, but lets not start saying that they cost less than the ST.

If there is a link that shows BCM upper receiver groups priced cheaper than ST, I would love to see it. I know a bunch of guys who would be making orders extra fast if BCM was doing a super sale.

11B101ABN
11-03-10, 11:54
actually if u are going to defend ur life u might want to splurge and spend what it takes

i heartily recommend a d.d. 14.5 with a welded f/hider. its the best in the business.

good luck

For the love of all that is good and correct, stop typing like a teenager trying to get laid on prom night. Come on man.

Oh, and of the two, Spike's. Me, I would get a BCM or Daniel Defense, but I'm a fanboy so whatever.

OH, and nothing YHM belongs on a fighting gun. My opinion only.

The_War_Wagon
11-03-10, 14:04

THIS! And it's higher quality in construction than either.

Jake Bauer
11-03-10, 18:31
The non-chrome-lined nature of the stainless steel barrel will probably yield better precision than the chrome lining on the Spikes.

Never heard of that before... really?

JRM1983
11-03-10, 19:29
I'd go with Spikes

KentuckyWindage
11-03-10, 19:32
Spikes! :D

MTechnik
11-03-10, 19:43
Never heard of that before... really?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=14231&postcount=17

SHIVAN
11-03-10, 19:48
Spikes, no question in my mind. My preference would be something else entirely, but that wasn't the nature of the question.

rezin23
11-03-10, 19:59
Spikes, no question in my mind. My preference would be something else entirely, but that wasn't the nature of the question.

I'm up for any mid-length in the sub $550 price range.

MTechnik
11-03-10, 20:04
I'm up for any mid-length in the sub $550 price range.

The CMMG you listed didn't include a BCG... are you talking about any upper (minus bcg and charging handle) for under $550? or does the BCG have to be included in that price?

rezin23
11-03-10, 20:08
The CMMG you listed didn't include a BCG... are you talking about any upper (minus bcg and charging handle) for under $550? or does the BCG have to be included in that price?

Correct, must be a complete upper.

usmcvet
11-03-10, 20:14
Spikes. Deck out BCM too. I think for $520 you can get a BCM upper, BCG and CH. Worth a look.

Jake Bauer
11-04-10, 00:14
https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=14231&postcount=17

hmm that thread hardly proves that chrome lined barrels reduce accuracy. I think I'll need more proof.

royal_fox
11-04-10, 01:02
Spikes for SHTF!

CoryCop25
11-04-10, 01:08

Although I agree with you, the Spike's comes with a BCG and buffer. The BCM does not.