PDA

View Full Version : Leather jackets

montanadave
11-03-10, 10:30
Anyone have a line on a good manufacturer of leather jackets, preferably here in the US or Canada? Just looking for a good quality jacket (not coat) in more the "flight jacket" style as opposed to motorcycle jacket, etc. And, while I'm not looking to break the bank, I'm willing to spend $400-500 for decent quality.

khc3
11-03-10, 10:48
Vanson leathers makes motorcycle jackets, but also a few more casual styles.

http://www.vansonleathers.com/

maximus83
11-03-10, 11:00
I have the same question as the OP, and also wonder if there are certain TYPES of leather, within that $500 or less price range, that are more desirable.

Dirk Williams
11-03-10, 11:01
I gave my old leather flight jacket to my step day back in 83.

In 84, I started to miss my flight jacket so I purchased an after market copy. I purchased from a store named "Sporty's Pilot Shop".

It's an exact copy of my origional flight jacket. Minus the USN stincil on the inner zipper flap. Don't know if that store is still open but might be worth a internet search.

Good luck,
D Williams

FlyAndFight
11-03-10, 11:06
I've had an "Avirex" flight jacket for years and I love it.

Spiffums
11-03-10, 12:38
I wish I could find a good brand like the Chi-Com one sis got me at the old Goody's. It was hip length but light weight.

Hersh
11-03-10, 17:18
I've had an "Avirex" flight jacket for years and I love it.

+1. Avirex is definitely worth a look.

ralph
11-03-10, 18:08
Try www.uswings.com They have several styles that are made here in the U.S. While I haven't seen any of their stuff up close, It looks like it's very high quality, $500 should get you in to something...

Avenger29
11-03-10, 22:07
I gave my old leather flight jacket to my step day back in 83.

In 84, I started to miss my flight jacket so I purchased an after market copy. I purchased from a store named "Sporty's Pilot Shop".

It's an exact copy of my origional flight jacket. Minus the USN stincil on the inner zipper flap. Don't know if that store is still open but might be worth a internet search.

Good luck,
D Williams

Sporty's is one of the biggest names in aviation/pilot supplies nowadays. I just don't trust them when it comes to leather jackets and such myself...you brought yours 25 years ago, too.

I'm also looking for a leather flight jacket, too.

rjacobs
11-03-10, 22:08
www.gibsonandbarnes.com

End of the thread.

This is the company that almost every airline pilot in the US gets their leather jackets from. Dont know about mil jackets, but every airline I know of gets their jackets from here. They are 100% made in the USA. Not sure of their leather source, but they are made in California. Great company to deal with too. Had mine about 4 years and I broke the zipper off(zipper thing broke in half when I slammed it in a door), and they sent me a new one for free.

I wear a 40 regular suit coat and I have a 40 regular jacket from them(skyliner style) and the arms are a bit short, but everything else fits well.

montanadave
11-03-10, 23:46
www.gibsonandbarnes.com

End of the thread.

This is the company that almost every airline pilot in the US gets their leather jackets from. Dont know about mil jackets, but every airline I know of gets their jackets from here. They are 100% made in the USA. Not sure of their leather source, but they are made in California. Great company to deal with too. Had mine about 4 years and I broke the zipper off(zipper thing broke in half when I slammed it in a door), and they sent me a new one for free.

I wear a 40 regular suit coat and I have a 40 regular jacket from them(skyliner style) and the arms are a bit short, but everything else fits well.

I received a PM from another forum member earlier today (also a pilot) who directed me to Gibson and Barnes also. Judging from what I saw on their website, these look to be top quality jackets which command a premium price. They also carry jackets in a variety of leathers and colors.

g5m
11-04-10, 08:40
I believe the man who started Avirex sold it and they now make other stuff. He went on to build up the USWings company, IIRC.

RogerinTPA
11-04-10, 09:23
www.gibsonandbarnes.com

End of the thread.

Another vote for gibson and barnes. I've had mine for a couple of years. Very good quality.

armakraut
11-04-10, 21:10
Gibson & Barnes. US Made.

I recommend goatskin for durability.

Hersh
11-05-10, 17:11
Schott is mainly known for motorcycle jackets, but they make some military styles also.

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/lifestyle/military

montanadave
11-16-10, 22:07
Resurrecting an old thread, I know, but just wanted to say thanks to those that recommended Gibson and Barnes. I took the plunge, ordered one of their jackets, and it arrived today.

Couldn't be more pleased. Good looking leather, well made, nice weight-- all in all, just what I was looking for. I look forward to wearing it for many years to come.

armakraut
11-16-10, 22:38
Cool man.

Which one did you get?

arizonaranchman
11-17-10, 07:38
I ride a motorcycle most days. My jacket is of outstanding quality - heavy supple leather, heavy duty brass zippers and even sturdy pocket linings that hold up (a weak point in many otherwise fine leather jackets I've seen). It's made by Fox Creek Leather in Virginia. They have outstanding customer service also. If it doesn't fit they'll have another one on the way to you before you even return the first one. They're in the price range you mention and they're even actually warm in the winter which is another rarity in leather jackets.

www.foxcreekleather.com

montanadave
11-17-10, 08:32
Cool man.

Which one did you get?

The "Raider" in the cowhide. Fits great and I like the heavier weight (but still very comfortable). The construction of the back and arms also allow for a lot of movement (especially for folks who are a little larger through the chest, arms, and shoulders) without the back or sleeves riding up.