PDA

View Full Version : US to spend $200 Million a day on Obama's Mumbai visit

VooDoo6Actual
11-03-10, 12:04
redaction.

Rmplstlskn
11-03-10, 12:20
India is a good country to ally with, but too much is too much...

I'd like to see how they explain why so many people and so much is needed for whatever agenda is on the books. If it is justified, OK, if not, well.... what can we say?

Rmpl

500grains
11-03-10, 12:50
It's worth that to keep him from doing more damage here.

Ejh28
11-03-10, 14:13
I love that the story details security, and how only some of the Secret Service agents will get to be armed. . .

GermanSynergy
11-03-10, 14:37
What's a paltry 200 mil a day for the Emperor? :rolleyes:

chadbag
11-03-10, 16:06
It's worth that to keep him from doing more damage here.

Being there does not keep him from doing damage here...

This is ridiculous. Anyone have any info on costs for similar trips that Bush or Clinton went on?

Spooky130
11-03-10, 20:36
If it costs that much maybe it should just be a one way trip!

Ak44
11-03-10, 20:48
http://www.tajhotels.com/

Cool looking hotel...

variablebinary
11-03-10, 20:57
3000 person staff coming along for the ride

Ak44
11-03-10, 21:01
I wonder if they are gonna pack Imodium for him...

500grains
11-03-10, 21:41
I wonder if they are gonna pack Imodium for him...

He is probably bringing along his own food, kitchen, chef and toilet.

Belmont31R
11-03-10, 21:46
Thats more than some dept's get in an entire year....

How many vets could that 5 billion treat in a year?

ForTehNguyen
11-04-10, 08:01
at first I was thinking how the hell does it cost $200M a day? Now I know. Who called in the fleet?

34 warships sent from US for Obama visit
http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/34-warships-sent-from-us-for-obama-visit-64459

Rmplstlskn
11-04-10, 08:07
at first I was thinking how the hell does it cost $200M a day? Now I know. Who called in the fleet?

34 warships sent from US for Obama visit
http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/34-warships-sent-from-us-for-obama-visit-64459

Yep, this is getting more insane as we learn more...

You would almost think he was going into EXILE! (Wishful thinking)

Rmpl

rubberneck
11-04-10, 08:09
What do we gain as a country by having our President visit this one city and is it worth the $200 million that we don't have to pay for it? This President is tone deaf. It might take the MSM a couple days to get around to covering the staggering cost of this visit and when they do the President is going to pay for his hubris.

platoonDaddy
11-04-10, 08:29
How many of you have read or heard about the $200 million per day on stateRunMedia? Thank god for the alternative media!

A party of 3,000, dang what a party on our dime.

kaiservontexas
11-04-10, 08:34
What is with the need for the floatilla?

ForTehNguyen
11-04-10, 08:49
What is with the need for the floatilla?

Communications set-up, nuclear button, a fleet of limousines and majority of the White House staff will be in India accompanying the President on this three-day visit that will cover Mumbai and Delhi.

He will also be protected by a fleet of 34 warships, including an aircraft carrier, which will patrol the sea lanes off the Mumbai coast during his two-day stay there beginning Saturday. The measure has been taken as Mumbai attack in 2008 took place from the sea.

Arrangements have been put in place for emergency evacuation, if needed.

Obama is expected to fly by a helicopter -- Marine One -- from the city airport to the Indian Navy's helibase INS Shikra at Colaba in south Mumbai.

From there, he will drive down in Lincoln Continental -- the Presidential limousine -- to the nearby the Taj Hotel.

Two jets, armed with advanced communication and security systems, and a fleet of over 40 cars will be part of Obamas convoy.

Around 800 rooms have been booked for the President and his entourage in Taj Hotel and Hyatt.

Read more at: http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/34-warships-sent-from-us-for-obama-visit-64459?cp

:suicide:

kwelz
11-04-10, 08:51
Not that I don't think this is outrageous. But does anyone know what a similar trip ran under Bush?

SHIVAN
11-04-10, 09:31
Minimum $600,000,000? GTFO! That's absolutely crazy. No matter if it were Bush, Obama, Clinton, or anyone else.

The government can NEVER, not once ever, do something more efficiently that a private company.

Can you imagine the type of security you could get from a private, for profit, company for $100,000,000???

Safetyhit
11-04-10, 09:46
How many vets could that 5 billion treat in a year?

Unless he is staying 25 days, I'm not sure how you are arriving at this figure. But either way, they should at least meet elsewhere, away from the ultra-extravagant, terrorist targeted hotel with water access for cripe's sake.

This group's stupidity knows no bounds and I don't think it ever will.

Rmplstlskn
11-04-10, 13:20
With the India trip and the warships news, as well as the FED QE2 news, I am getting conspiracy emails from all fronts... All saying something is up... Banking holiday... Cash restrictions... Sky will fall... LOL!

The only thing UP is the pomp and arrogance of our POTUS...

Rmpl

chadbag
11-04-10, 15:53
Supposedly some of this is a bit exaggerated

-

Security Entourage Earning Epic Reputation Ahead of Obama India Visit - FoxNews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/04/security-entourage-earning-epic-reputation-ahead-obama-india-visit/

----

-

ForTehNguyen
11-04-10, 15:55
dont worry guys Bernanke just printed up $600B fresh ones, we can easily pay for this!

bulbvivid
11-04-10, 17:43
Why is he leaving the country in wartime anyway? Isn't that why he has underlings?

Can't India's representantives just come here?

Honu
11-04-10, 18:29
Supposedly some of this is a bit exaggerated

-

Security Entourage Earning Epic Reputation Ahead of Obama India Visit - FoxNews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/04/security-entourage-earning-epic-reputation-ahead-obama-india-visit/

----

-

you mean like all their other lies ?

notice the administration says its exaggerated but wont give details either of what its going to cost us ?

I bet its going to be close to that this administration is so crooked I believe nothing they say and that goes for most politicians

Moose-Knuckle
11-04-10, 18:37
Absolute power corrupts absolutely. . .

If he knows he will be voted out in '12 you can bet your bottom dollar that he and his uh wife will be taking many, many more extravagant trips on our dime.

ForTehNguyen
11-04-10, 18:38
Tunnel for Obama near Mani Bhavan
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_tunnel-for-obama-near-mani-bhavan_1461946

Coconuts removed from trees in preparation for Barack Obama's India trip:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/8109295/Coconuts-removed-from-trees-in-preparation-for-Barack-Obamas-India-trip.html

Rmplstlskn
11-04-10, 20:38
Normally Rush Limbaugh is too liberal for me... :laugh: But I agree with him in that he believes Obama & wife have an entitlement complex that tells them THEY DESERVE this treatment as do their support staff deserve it too. He is that special...

It brings back memories of Michele gardening in the spring in high-fashion sneakers ($800 if I remember right) and in the fall pulling huge veggies dressed in high-fashion black with black boots... :sarcastic:

Rmpl

GermanSynergy
11-04-10, 20:41
If a Republican bought a Snickers bar on an official trip the media would be screeching like banshees, yet nothing from the Leninists in the media...:rolleyes:

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-05-10, 00:14
Tunnel for Obama near Mani Bhavan
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_tunnel-for-obama-near-mani-bhavan_1461946

Coconuts removed from trees in preparation for Barack Obama's India trip:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/8109295/Coconuts-removed-from-trees-in-preparation-for-Barack-Obamas-India-trip.html

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of the tunnel? I can't believe that this is a one-off, just for this trip- that it has to be a standard item in inventory?

I'm all for keeping the President safe, but I think we are going overboard. Kings and despots make plans like this, not elected officials. One of the greatest strengths of a democracy is that there is a never ending supply of people, and an agreed upon succession plan. The strength of the system is that if you knock one guyoff, we instantly put up a new one to continue on. That should be the primary deterrent from trying to assassinate the president. I'm getting tired of the world coming to a stop within 5 miles of wherever the president is.

Belmont31R
11-05-10, 00:26
If a Republican bought a Snickers bar on an official trip the media would be screeching like banshees, yet nothing from the Leninists in the media...:rolleyes:

They used to blast Bush for going on vacation to his ranch in TX even when it was to do things like meet with foreign heads of state there.

SHIVAN
11-05-10, 09:38
Trip is 10 days. Let's halve the estimate and call it $100,000,000/day.

He's going to spend $1,000,000,000 on this one trip. A billion dollars. GTFO!

BTW, not many government estimates are accurate, and they are rarely on the lean side.

rickrock305
11-05-10, 09:44
don't let reality get in the way...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/india.asp

SHIVAN
11-05-10, 10:00

Snopes is "reality"? They are countering hyperbole from the media, with a "trust us" on this one? You count that as "reality"?

:sarcastic:

ForTehNguyen
11-05-10, 10:52
if they are using that much hardware I can see it costing that much.

Safetyhit
11-05-10, 12:42
The Pentagon's press secretary commented on the issue and denied that 34 ships, or 10% of the Navy as he put it, would ever be redeployed for such a trip. After watching him speak and considering how ludicrous that aspect of the story seems to be, I have to believe he was being truthful.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-05-10, 12:54

Snopes is "reality"? They are countering hyperbole from the media, with a "trust us" on this one? You count that as "reality"?

Accounting for stuff like this has to be a guessing game, but that is the weakest snopes report on something that I've ever seen.

Ships and boats might equal 34. Bet there are a lot of boats running security.

rickrock305
11-05-10, 13:34

A hell of a lot more reality than the "Press Trust of India"!

Forgive me for trying to bring some common sense to the thread. Carry on with the Obama hate.

Belmont31R
11-05-10, 14:07

Forgive me for trying to bring some common sense to the thread. Carry on with the Obama hate.

A refute of the 2B total cost would require some actual facts to prove it false. They are the ones saying its not true. Just saying its not true doesn't mean it is. Saying it is true, doesn't mean the 2B is accurate either, but if you're going to call someone out on something you have to provide a reason why their claim is false other than "we said it is."

SHIVAN
11-05-10, 14:12

Pretty weak attempt at a common sense rebuttal. Snopes is commonly known to lean pretty heavy leftie. The article you linked was just as much of a SWAG as the initial report.

They're basicially saying, "Of course it will cost a lot but the ships and personnel are not all being paid for by the US, so trust us that it isn't $200M/day."

The fact that the number is believable at all, even in dreamy land, means we're all a little jaded about how easily this government spends money.

500grains
11-05-10, 14:30
I wonder why Obama the Great will not spend $200 million per day to seal our southern border.

rickrock305
11-05-10, 20:01
A refute of the 2B total cost would require some actual facts to prove it false. They are the ones saying its not true. Just saying its not true doesn't mean it is. Saying it is true, doesn't mean the 2B is accurate either, but if you're going to call someone out on something you have to provide a reason why their claim is false other than "we said it is."

Come on man, you're a rational dude. You really think he's gonna spend 2 BILLION dollars on a trip?

khc3
11-05-10, 20:43
Come on man, you're a rational dude. You really think he's gonna spend 2 BILLION dollars on a trip?

I'm quite sure he hasn't spent a nanosecond even contemplating what this trip costs.

The only thing in which liberals consider cost is warfare.

Belmont31R
11-05-10, 20:50

Sure why not? He spent 2 trillion on his non-recovery recovery act, and not gonna raise our rates but raised our rates anyways Obamacare.

Whats 2 billion when you're playing with multiple trillions?

As pointed out even if its half that, 1 billion, is a ****ing BILLION dollars.

Bolt_Overide
11-06-10, 02:02
given the economic state of our nation right now, how the hell can he possibly justify this expenditure?

GermanSynergy
11-06-10, 03:50
Since when does he feel the need to justify anything to the "little people"?

The lavish and opulent nature of this trip is beter suited for a monarch rather than a president. I'm surprised they don't have diamond chandaliers and solid gold humidors.

given the economic state of our nation right now, how the hell can he possibly justify this expenditure?

markdh720
11-06-10, 10:04
I generally don't post about political issues here on M4C, but I'm going to have to say that I'd bet that $200M per day isn't far off.

I got to work with the Secret Service during one of BO's trips to Chicago. The magnitude of how many people and resources follow this guy around is unbelievable. Enitre neighborhoods and highways get shut down when he comes through. That's just domestically!

On the other hand, much of that money would probably be spent regardless of his trip. I'm assuming that the total includes the daily operational costs of the resources being redirected that would have been operating anyway, such as the warships and the security entourage. Now you're talking about wasting resources that could be better used elsewhere for national interests and security, rather than the interest and security of one man and his posh wife.

Moose-Knuckle
11-06-10, 19:23
I generally don't post about political issues here on M4C, but I'm going to have to say that I'd bet that $200M per day isn't far off.

I got to work with the Secret Service during one of BO's trips to Chicago. The magnitude of how many people and resources follow this guy around is unbelievable. Enitre neighborhoods and highways get shut down when he comes through. That's just domestically!

On the other hand, much of that money would probably be spent regardless of his trip. I'm assuming that the total includes the daily operational costs of the resources being redirected that would have been operating anyway, such as the warships and the security entourage. Now you're talking about wasting resources that could be better used elsewhere for national interests and security, rather than the interest and security of one man and his posh wife.

Most tax payers don't realize that any POTUS has a private blood bank that follows every where he goes. A private reserve of fuel for all the vehicles he "may" ride/fly in and there are always at least two minimum VC-25s, VH-3Ds or VH-60Ns, GMC Topkicks. Etc, the amount of man and machines that go into this type of PSD is mind boggling. Recently I read about the Secret Service trunk monkeys with Dillon M134s in jack-in-the-box mounts inside their SUVs.

Still doesn't justify Barry's trip to India.

Belmont31R
11-06-10, 19:27
Most tax payers don't realize that any POTUS has a private blood bank that follows every where he goes. A private reserve of fuel for all the vehicles he "may" ride/fly in and there are always at least two minimum VC-25s, VH-3Ds or VH-60Ns, GMC Topkicks. Etc, the amount of man and machines that go into this type of PSD is mind boggling. Recently I read about the Secret Service trunk monkeys with Dillon M134s in jack-in-the-box mounts inside their SUVs.

Still doesn't justify Barry's trip to India.

Plus the aircraft needed to fly all that junk around, maintenance, ect.

One reason why I think presidents should be barred from using AF1 for political purposes like him going all over the place to give speeches for candidates, attend fund raisers, ect. Those costs should be paid by their political party not the tax payer. If its official state business that is one thing. Political rallies are another.

Moose-Knuckle
11-06-10, 19:39

USAF use C-17 Globemaster IIIs for that, another expensive tax payer perk.

Rmplstlskn
11-06-10, 20:23
One reason why I think presidents should be barred from using AF1 for political purposes like him going all over the place to give speeches for candidates, attend fund raisers, ect. Those costs should be paid by their political party not the tax payer. If its official state business that is one thing. Political rallies are another.

I can't express words enough to agree with you more....

The FED gov't is so screwed up on so many levels, and BOTH parties just keep the perks in place...

And don't get me going on Executive Orders...

Rmpl

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-06-10, 20:39
We outsource so much stuff to India, why not just use the locals for SS coverage :D

Moose-Knuckle
11-06-10, 21:06
We outsource so much stuff to India, why not just use the locals for SS coverage :D

Hell with Barry by way of Kenya, by way of Indonesia, by way of Hawaii we might as well out source the presidency to India too.

Bolt_Overide
11-06-10, 23:44

How is it that us unwashed masses can come up with this kind of common sense, but our uber educated far more intelligent overlords :rolleyes: cant seem to fathom doing it when they are hit over the head with the idea....

Belmont31R
11-07-10, 00:03
I can't express words enough to agree with you more....

The FED gov't is so screwed up on so many levels, and BOTH parties just keep the perks in place...

And don't get me going on Executive Orders...

Rmpl

Boehner should sell the House Speaker jet, and put the proceeds towards the debt.

That would make a helluva statement....;)