PDA

View Full Version : Is rounding off the trigger guard on the Glock worth it?

Magic_Salad0892
11-04-10, 06:04
Is it? I usually keep my support hand pretty far up, but the ''wing'' never really bothered me, and I never take real notice.

However, the rounded off trigger guards look mighty attractive. Albeit the stock ''wing'' looks more professional. (I don't know why.)

Are they more comfortable?

Sproggy
11-04-10, 06:34
I don't think this is really a question we can answer for you. Its subjective and basically just comes down to how you want the pistol to look. Beyond cosmetics it really doesn't make a difference. Its easy to do yourself, but provides no real benefit.

Seraph
11-04-10, 09:22
I agree with that guy. The answer, for me, is "...not for me." Other than sights, my Glock 19's remain basically stock.

Magsz
11-04-10, 18:15
If you like making your guns pretty then go for it if it fits into your aesthetic tastes.

The Tooth on the glock isnt really that big of a deal although it CAN catch on certain kydex holsters.

Also, keep in mind that on a very tight fit kydex holster IF you remove that tooth you may compromise retention slightly as that tooth is a fairly large indexing point on most level 1 kydex retention holsters.

Magic_Salad0892
11-04-10, 21:04
Thank you Magsz I've actually decided not to shave the tooth off.

Thanks for giving me a better name than ''wing'', by the way.

I am a lot happier now, that I de-finger grooved it though. Made more difference than I thought it would.

wargasm
11-06-10, 11:15
I never gave any thought about rounding off the trigger guard on any of my Glocks. I shudder to think that small appendage will hamper my ability to inject lead and copper into a bad guy.

Rosco Benson
11-06-10, 12:14
The little nub is probably helpful if you shoot with a finger-forward grip, though few people do nowadays. Removing it is just a matter of aesthetics.

What is helpful on the Glock triggerguards is to smooth the mold parting line at the bottom rear of the triggerguard. This tiny raised ridge is surprisingly irritating to the middle finger of the strong hand.

Rosco

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-06-10, 12:20
People have told me that it helps ease carrying, but I dont understand that viewpoint unless you are carrying mexican style. I carry in a holster, thus negating any sharp edge issues. Its purely cosmetic from my viewpoint.

Robb Jensen
11-06-10, 12:35
Is it? I usually keep my support hand pretty far up, but the ''wing'' never really bothered me, and I never take real notice.

However, the rounded off trigger guards look mighty attractive. Albeit the stock ''wing'' looks more professional. (I don't know why.)

Are they more comfortable?

Are the fingers on your support hand so big that they're actually protruding past the front most edge of the trigger guard? If so I'd think shortening and removing the hook would cause discomfort.

"Worth it?" is relative.
I don't care if a Glock has a hook or not on the trigger guard. As long as it works and hits where the sights are aligned when my booger-hook presses the trigger, that's all that matters to me.

crazymoose
11-06-10, 17:38
I think more than a few Glock owners round off the trigger guard because their sensibilities are offended by the fact that there is a provision for the now-disfavored "index finger on the trigger guard" method of shooting. Personally, I think this is a poor reason to modify a gun. I've also heard the aesthetic argument, but honestly, a rounded trigger guard looks out of place on an otherwise boxy, angular pistol, to my eyes.

threeheadeddog
11-06-10, 19:03
Personally, I wish my M&P had the more squared trigger guard. I like the extra plastic in the event that I am slightly off with my hands during the draw. I stippled the underside of my trigger guard and with the added traction I can more aggressavely press out the gun and rotate my off-hand wrist. When I rotate the wrist it kind of "snuggs" up my hands, by using the stippling to push(or rotate) against.
The more area to have stippled in this case the better IMHO.

Magic_Salad0892
11-06-10, 21:12
gotm4: I have long skinny piano fingers.

I decided that it was cosmetic, and that I didn't need to saw the tooth off.

''Worth it'' wasn't relative to me.

skyugo
11-06-10, 21:29
I'd just be concerned taht removing it would affect holster compatibility. I've really never come into contact with the front of the trigger guard while training with the gun...

fivefivesix
11-07-10, 06:05
on my g21 it catches everytime i reholster on my itw holster. but i still dont think its worth it cause like everyone said thats where my tightenng screw is for retention