PDA

View Full Version : Which Daniel Defense M4? V1 or V3?

bdoub1eu
11-04-10, 07:38
Experts, chime in on this...

New to AR's and looking to pick up my first one. I've heard very good things about Daniel Defense and was trying to decide between the V1 and V3. The only difference I can see is that the V3 has the 9inch mid-length rail (as opposed to the 12 inch rail) and that the V3 has the mid-length gas system...

From what I've read, most people have chosen the V3 with the mid-length gas system over the V1. Just wanted your opinions...Thanks in advance for your knowledge!

ra2bach
11-04-10, 08:41
I have both. actually a DD v1 and a BCM middie with 9" rail but same/same for this discussion. neither are perfect...

IMO, carbine gas is best used for short barreled rifles. I don't like it anywhere else because it puts the FSB right where I want to put my hand.

the v1 is a work-around that puts a 12" rail on a carbine gas to be able mount a light at 12 o'clock but allows the FSB to protrude through the rail. for me, that creates it's own set of problems with support grip. for anyone else, it may not...

my BCM middy with 9" rail is everything a fighting gun should be and I immediately put it into my primary HD role with an Aimpoint and light at 11 o'clock. it is a bit front heavy with the govt. profile barrel, so I got another one with LW barrel profile that is about 6oz. lighter overall. I've ordered an 11" Troy Extreme rail and will mount it on one or the other after shaving down the gas block. still deciding which one to do that with...

all that said, I really like my DDv1 and am working through the issues. it's pretty light, even with the 12" rail, it's accurate, and it's a pretty soft shooter. since it's carbine gas, I'll probably chop it down to 14.5 and perm a flash hider which should help with reliability and will probably soften it up a little more as well. it could easily end up being my favorite carbine...

xbmxracerx
11-04-10, 11:17
I like my v3....more traditional look but in the end, it's your call.

Looks like you already know the minor differences.....

Experts, chime in on this...

New to AR's and looking to pick up my first one. I've heard very good things about Daniel Defense and was trying to decide between the V1 and V3. The only difference I can see is that the V3 has the 9inch mid-length rail (as opposed to the 12 inch rail) and that the V3 has the mid-length gas system...

From what I've read, most people have chosen the V3 with the mid-length gas system over the V1. Just wanted your opinions...Thanks in advance for your knowledge!

bdoub1eu
11-04-10, 13:25
Yeah, I think I'm sold on the midlength gas system so that rules out the V1. Now to decide between the V3 or V5. I'm pretty tall with long arms so that extra 3 inches of rail might be nice...

boomhower
11-04-10, 15:24
Yeah, I think I'm sold on the midlength gas system so that rules out the V1. Now to decide between the V3 or V5. I'm pretty tall with long arms so that extra 3 inches of rail might be nice...

I agree that's the real decision, midlength is the way to go for a new rifle. Personally I am going to go with a lightweight V3, I want an FSB. The V5 get's a good bit more expensive since you have to add a set of sites to it.

socalav
11-04-10, 15:40
I vote this one!!
http://www.socalarms.com/Daniel-Defense-M4-URG-v3-145-in-Mid-length-Barrel_p_100.html

Kegger
11-04-10, 16:46
Personally I say if you've got really long arms and want the Mid-length gas system, go for the v5.

Middie with 12 inches of rail and the DD BUIS already on it.

You can get em pretty cheap if your ffl likes you.

MrMilspecer
11-04-10, 22:35
I have the ddm4 v4. A carbine with a flat-top and a roomy 9'' front rail. It came with front and rear BUIS. Lightweight , well ballanced and oozes quality. Around 1000 .223 rounds not one hiccup. A great shooter. Good luck on your choice. But you wont need it your getting a Daniel Defense :sarcastic:

Fullthrottle
11-05-10, 07:40
I have both. actually a DD v1 and a BCM middie with 9" rail but same/same for this discussion. neither are perfect...

IMO, carbine gas is best used for short barreled rifles. I don't like it anywhere else because it puts the FSB right where I want to put my hand.

the v1 is a work-around that puts a 12" rail on a carbine gas to be able mount a light at 12 o'clock but allows the FSB to protrude through the rail. for me, that creates it's own set of problems with support grip. for anyone else, it may not...

my BCM middy with 9" rail is everything a fighting gun should be and I immediately put it into my primary HD role with an Aimpoint and light at 11 o'clock. it is a bit front heavy with the govt. profile barrel, so I got another one with LW barrel profile that is about 6oz. lighter overall. I've ordered an 11" Troy Extreme rail and will mount it on one or the other after shaving down the gas block. still deciding which one to do that with...

all that said, I really like my DDv1 and am working through the issues. it's pretty light, even with the 12" rail, it's accurate, and it's a pretty soft shooter. since it's carbine gas, I'll probably chop it down to 14.5 and perm a flash hider which should help with reliability and will probably soften it up a little more as well. it could easily end up being my favorite carbine...

Have you had reliability issues with your DDV1?

m4brian
11-05-10, 08:25
I second. Did you have reliability issues with the DD Carbine?????

dieselgeek
11-05-10, 16:24
smartgunner.com has flipping AWESOME deals on Daniel Defense uppers right now. I'm ordering a DD 16" middy lightweight w/ a 12" rail Yankee flash hider and BCG. I think the total is $693. IMO that's hard to beat. I'm pretty stoked. I was about to upgrade my BCG, and figured, I'd just upgrade the whole rifle.

Rated21R
11-05-10, 18:07
I vote for the V5. Flat top light weight middy for the win.

ra2bach
11-05-10, 20:58
Have you had reliability issues with your DDV1?

theoretically, a 16" midlength will be more reliable than a 16" carbine length because of dwell timing creating pressure and extraction issues.

personally, I have had issues with my DDv1 that were not related to this but was rounds getting hung up and failing to feed from a Pmag when using the mag as an impromptu monopod.

I previously related that I took my gun to DD and the the CS guy, Larry Stanley, took it right in hand and immediately worked on it while I waited. he fired 40 rounds through it and then gave me a factory tour. he polished one of the feedramps that was showing significant brassing from contact with bullet tips on that side. it was never determined whether the rifle or the Pmag was the cause but the problem seems to have been cured.

DD has me as a customer for life due to their personal service and willingness to please. their rifles ain't bad either...