PDA

View Full Version : Railed handguard Help

michael word
11-04-10, 11:57
I have decided to upgrade to a rail system and am looking at these three:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwest-Industries-MCTAR-18-p/mctar-18.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Troy-Ind-Tactical-Free-Float-Mid-Length-p/troy%20mrf%20di%209.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/YHM-2-Piece-Tactical-Handguards-Mid-Length-p/yhm-9805%20mid%202pc.htm

I would like to know your opinions on these models and if anyone knows the weight on the troy and yankee hill. I am leaning towards the midwest industries, is there any benefit to the higher price of the troy?

mikejg
11-04-10, 13:07
I only have experience with the Troy DI rail, but can tell you it is rock solid and fit great with absolutely no play.

ETA: The Troy rail also has QD swivel sockets in the rail. This may or may not be beneficial to you.

GermanSynergy
11-04-10, 13:09
Have you considered a Knights, Daniel Defense or LaRue Tactical rail?

citizensoldier16
11-04-10, 13:17
Have you considered a Knights, Daniel Defense or LaRue Tactical rail?

+1 for Daniel Defense.

If you're willing to spend a little more money on a FF rail, I highly recommend the Daniel Defense Omega series. They are true FF rails and install with the tool provided. They are definitely rock solid, only weighs 8 ounces, and worth the extra green. I run the Omega 7.0 on my carbine. Link below.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-Omega-Rail-Carbine-Free-Float-p/dd%2010001.htm

Alex V
11-04-10, 13:34
I own both a LaRue 13.2 and a Troy 12" FSB rail. Both are rock solid and are very well made but the LaRue is deff. lighter.

They also install in different ways. The Troy can bolt up to a factory barrel nut where as the LaRue uses its own and requires the removal of things like FSB, muzzle devices and so on during the install. Daniel Defence also makes rail that can be installed in two peices without major alterations or dissasembly of the weapon.

Honestly, I would not look at the MI or YHM rail, they seem to be heavier and do not appear to be as well made as the other's people have mentioned. Troy, LaRue and DD make awesome products.

11B101ABN
11-04-10, 16:01
The MI is well made, but it is fooking wide, especially w/ rail covers.

Of the 3, I say go w/ the Troy.

michael word
11-04-10, 19:53
i am only looking at these three rails as they are within my budget. the larue and DD are too expensive and do not want a free float handguard. of the ones mentioned which one would you recommend and why.

GermanSynergy
11-04-10, 20:01
Buy once, cry once.

i am only looking at these three rails as they are within my budget. the larue and DD are too expensive and do not want a free float handguard. of the ones mentioned which one would you recommend and why.

michael word
11-04-10, 21:33
Buy once, cry once.

which is why I am asking about these three handguards to help me choose one.

GermanSynergy
11-04-10, 21:40
If you insist on selecting a rail from your 3 choices, I would opt for the Troy.

which is why I am asking about these three handguards to help me choose one.

Alex V
11-05-10, 09:00

If you do not want a free float handguard and have a carbine length gas system then I'd still sugest a DD.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-EZ-CAR-7-0-Rail-Carbine-Handguard-p/dd%205010.htm

Under $150, can't go wrong.

michael word
11-05-10, 12:16
If I had a carbine length, that would be my first choice. However, I need a mid-length and DD does not make it in that size.

dail621
11-05-10, 13:09
I think we all strongly encourage you to save your money and buy a quality free float. It may seem like a superfluous investment at the time but in the long run it will be worth every penny.

But, if you are set on those rails I'd recommend the Troy or just getting a midlength MOE from Magpul and putting rail section where you need it.

Just my humble two cents.

rob_s
11-05-10, 13:15
Get a set of MOE handguards and put the rails where you want/need them. Cheaper, better, lighter, smarter.

what do you plan on attaching to the rails?

michael word
11-05-10, 15:19
I thought about getting the MOE but just prefer the more round profile shape of the rail handguards. It is not that I do not want to save the money for a free float handguard, it is that I just prefer the more solid attachment and the ease of removal for cleaning of the drop in style and don't see any advantage of a free float system for my purpose. All I will be attaching is a light and maybe a VFG.

rob_s
11-05-10, 15:30
MOE is for sure your better bet then. What do you mean by prefer the round profile? what rails have you shot with and how many rounds do you have on the MOE?

RE: the concern over removal for cleaning (a non-issue, but that's another topic) the Daniel Defense Omega is a two-piece free-float as is the upcoming Centurion Arms. MUCH better choices than the ones in your links. If you think the non-free-float two-piece rails have a "more solid attachment" you're wrong. Most are not worth the time it takes to install them IMHO.

SPM14430
11-05-10, 16:05
I'm still partial to the Knights Armament RAS, it's a proven piece of kit.

I've owned Larue, Troy FF, Daniel Defense Omega and Lite rails and ended up selling them all. Don't get me wrong, the rails were all top notch and absolutely beautiful pieces of machining. Just prefer the Knights rail, especially at half the cost.

SPM14430
11-05-10, 18:07
double tap

michael word
11-05-10, 20:38
MOE is for sure your better bet then. What do you mean by prefer the round profile? what rails have you shot with and how many rounds do you have on the MOE?

RE: the concern over removal for cleaning (a non-issue, but that's another topic) the Daniel Defense Omega is a two-piece free-float as is the upcoming Centurion Arms. MUCH better choices than the ones in your links. If you think the non-free-float two-piece rails have a "more solid attachment" you're wrong. Most are not worth the time it takes to install them IMHO.

I have handled various models at the store with both railed, mostly LWRC, and MOE handguards and the MOE felt less comfortable and natural than the rail with the covers feels to me. In reguards to "a more solid attachment", I should have said that I feel they are more likely to have a problem when it takes a hard hit, rather than the DI models. I am not worried about if they will hold zero with optics, as I do not use them. With the cleaning, it is just because of my OCD more than practicality.

dail621
11-05-10, 20:48
I have handled various models at the store with both railed, mostly LWRC, and MOE handguards and the MOE felt less comfortable and natural than the rail with the covers feels to me. In reguards to "a more solid attachment", I should have said that I feel they are more likely to have a problem when it takes a hard hit, rather than the DI models. I am not worried about if they will hold zero with optics, as I do not use them. With the cleaning, it is just because of my OCD more than practicality.

Not trying to give you a hard time here but, didn't you say you were going to use a VFG or hand stop?

Anyways, to each his own.

michael word
11-05-10, 22:29
I may try one to see how it feels, but, it is very unlikely that I will.

rob_s
11-06-10, 07:37
Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is starting to sound like you simply want something because you want it, or because you think you're supposed to have it, and not to address any actual need or use you have. This is fine, and it's exceedingly common but when this is the case it's virtually impossible for anyone to give you any advice relative to the situation. Gear and accessory choices are hugely personal to begin with, and when you factor in a lack of clearly defined logic or emotion-based decision making it becomes literally impossible for someone to help you with the decision.

I think the parts you linked to are needlessly heavy, generally of a low quality, useless based on your stated application(s), they do not have the benefits you are ascribing to them, and you'd be better off with other products.

Many of us here wrestle with advice-giving. On the one hand we probably should just look at the poster's list of products and say "get #3". many forums have rules about just this kind of thing. I think that most of us here at M4C prefer to get into the meat of the decision making and help the inquisitor evaluate their needs to make sure they don't just get the best product they think they need, but the product that actually best serves their intended goals.

So far I'm unclear as to what you're trying to gain with a 4-rail system . What have you found lacking in use of your current setup, and what is that current setup? How do you hope to address these shortcomings with a two-piece, non-free-float, 4-rail system?

If you just absolutely have your heart set on one of the three, find out which is the narrowest side-to-side and which is the lightest and choose that one.

michael word
11-06-10, 08:57
Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is starting to sound like you simply want something because you want it, or because you think you're supposed to have it, and not to address any actual need or use you have. This is fine, and it's exceedingly common but when this is the case it's virtually impossible for anyone to give you any advice relative to the situation. Gear and accessory choices are hugely personal to begin with, and when you factor in a lack of clearly defined logic or emotion-based decision making it becomes literally impossible for someone to help you with the decision.

I think the parts you linked to are needlessly heavy, generally of a low quality, useless based on your stated application(s), they do not have the benefits you are ascribing to them, and you'd be better off with other products.

Many of us here wrestle with advice-giving. On the one hand we probably should just look at the poster's list of products and say "get #3". many forums have rules about just this kind of thing. I think that most of us here at M4C prefer to get into the meat of the decision making and help the inquisitor evaluate their needs to make sure they don't just get the best product they think they need, but the product that actually best serves their intended goals.

So far I'm unclear as to what you're trying to gain with a 4-rail system . What have you found lacking in use of your current setup, and what is that current setup? How do you hope to address these shortcomings with a two-piece, non-free-float, 4-rail system?

If you just absolutely have your heart set on one of the three, find out which is the narrowest side-to-side and which is the lightest and choose that one.

Thanks for your help. I have thought long and hard regarding the various handguard choices. The only reason I want a rail is that they just feel the most comfortable to me. I see no advantages of going to a more expensive free float rail system over the DI handguards for my shooting needs. If I was worried about precision, I would just go with a simple FF tube as they have an even better feel to me, but I just do not want to go that route with this particular rifle. The rifle is currently set up with no handguards as this is the last item I need to finish it. The choice of handguard is not being fueled by emotion or just "want " of a particular product, but is the outcome of countless hours researching and a cost benefit analysis over the different options out there. In regards to your last statement, that is all I was asking to start as to peoples experiences with these three in relation to the feel and weight so that I could pick the thinnest, lightest one.

wahoo95
11-06-10, 09:41
Personally I'd just look for a nice used KAC RAS which are easily found in the $100-120 range. OR, I'd hold on to my money and spend some time trolling the for sale ads on various forums looking for a like new DD Omega Rail. They're commonly being sold for around $50 which isn't that much more and gets you a much better rail.