PDA

View Full Version : Failure to fully seat into battery.

Rys06TBSS
11-04-10, 12:34
Ill give a quick run down on my hardware. Let the flaming begin. Upper is a Delton Upper with a Bulldog barrel. It has a Rock River bolt carrier group. Im running a 16 in barrel with m4 feed ramps and a carbine length gas system. My lower consists of a CMMG Lower with a Delton LPK(which I am already regretting the purchase do to the TERRIBLY gritty trigger). Im using a Magpul 30 round Pmag. I just finished building this gun about a month ago and finally had a chance to take the gun out.

Im guessing the issue Im having is due to all new parts. When I was at the range I brought three different kinds of ammo with me. 40 rounds of AE 55 grain FMJ, 40 rounds of Winchester JHPBT 45 grain, and 80 rounds of Remington UMC 55 FMJ. I started out with the AE and ran thru 40 rounds of that without an issue. Next I had one round of the Winchester catch on the feed ramp and jam the bullet into the casing. With the winchester stuff is where my problems began. About halfway thru the box, my bolt wouldnt fully seat into the battery, I had to use the forward assist. Just a light tap and it popped right in. I had the same issue with about 8 rounds of the Remington stuff.

So my question is, do you think this is just a lube issue? I had the gun well lubed up before I brought it out. I did run a bore snake thru it about every 10 to 15 rounds. Or do you think this is just an issue with the cheaper ammo? Im hoping its just a break in issue. Please let me know what you think.

The_Hammer_Man
11-04-10, 17:34
Did you head space your bolt?

It could be inadequate lubrication but I'd check your head spacing too.

What lube are you using?

300WM
11-04-10, 17:36
Cheaper ammo can be a little dirtier to shoot. That combined with it being new may cause the problem you are having. Try cleaning it well and relubing. My opinion is to use a thin film of lube during break-in. Federal .223 is a good ammo that is very consistant and does not dirty your gun too fast, and does not kill your wallet. If this does not help, wait for someone who knows more about AR's than I do to answer your question.

JimmyB62
11-04-10, 18:25
A 16" barrel w/carbine system is generally over-gassed. It's possible that what you are experiencing is bolt bounce. I didn't see which buffer you're using but going to a heavier one may help.

Belmont31R
11-04-10, 18:47
Those 45GR JHP's will cause all kinds of issues for you. The open tip on them is so large they do not work reliably in AR's. Ive made that mistake once, and was getting the bullet jammed into the case about 1/3rd of the time.

Remington UMC is some crappy ammo to run in an AR's. Id get some quality 5.56 pressure ammo, and see how that does. IMI M193, Prvi M193, WWB 5.56 M193, ect.

Some things to check with the gun not closing all the way is the recoil spring length, check the gas tube for damage along with the carrier key (if the gas tube is misaligned there will be odd rub marks, mashed mating surfaces, ect). Your chamber could be too tight, and with tolerance stacking some rounds may be too large to fully chamber in the barrel without added force (FA).

Rys06TBSS
11-04-10, 20:08
Im assuming its a carbine buffer. as for headspace, I have no clue. I belive it was set from the factory. Lube... yeah, Im using hoppes lube. I still have yet to buy some CLP. I really hate remington. I usually buy federal and winchester for all my other guns, but UMC was cheap at Dicks' so I picked some up. Ill steer clear of that for net time... The AE i bought was 8.99 a box which can add up fast but now that I think about it, its not that bad of a price. Ill try and run more of it thru it next range visit, which will hopefully be within the next few weeks, but with hunting season upon us, that might now happen as soon as Id like

Rys06TBSS
11-04-10, 20:10
A 16" barrel w/carbine system is generally over-gassed. It's possible that what you are experiencing is bolt bounce. I didn't see which buffer you're using but going to a heavier one may help.

So your thinking that maybe the buffer is bouncing off the tube causing inertia to lost in the buffer?

Rys06TBSS
11-04-10, 20:16
oh yeah heres a pic

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_M5x9I2vrZ48/TM3aCs_4O-I/AAAAAAAAAPI/7aEDUgcqtfA/s800/011.JPG

I need a riser, I have removed the finger notch on the grip and stippled the whole thing. I bought a MI T12 to replace the handguard but i have to wait till christmas for it. Other then that, I think its fine for now. I do want to get rid of this red dot and plan on putting a Eotech or a Micro T on it

JimmyB62
11-04-10, 22:08
So your thinking that maybe the buffer is bouncing off the tube causing inertia to lost in the buffer?

Negative. Bolt bounce occurs when the bolt velocity is so great that it slams into battery and the bolt "bounces" back just enough to be out of battery, where it then remains. A slight push on the FA can then nudge it back into battery.

If your gas port is on the large side, combined with the 16" barrel and carbine buffer, it's certainly a possibility. Try an H buffer and see if that changes. It likely has nothing to do with your feeding problems though.

Rys06TBSS
11-05-10, 19:37
Ill just lube the crap out of it next range visit and see what happens. Thanks for all your help guys

Iraqgunz
11-06-10, 00:51
Just to clarify about bolt bounce.

Bolt bounce occurs when the forward end of the bolt carrier suddenly strikes a confronting steel surface when the bolt carrier reaches the battery position. The bolt carrier momentarily bounces or rebounds from the full-forward position, and this rebound may cause a misfire to occur in full-automatic firing if the hammer of the rifle strikes the firing pin during rebound.

Negative. Bolt bounce occurs when the bolt velocity is so great that it slams into battery and the bolt "bounces" back just enough to be out of battery, where it then remains. A slight push on the FA can then nudge it back into battery.

If your gas port is on the large side, combined with the 16" barrel and carbine buffer, it's certainly a possibility. Try an H buffer and see if that changes. It likely has nothing to do with your feeding problems though.