PDA

View Full Version : New Magpul Handstop?

Seagrave7
11-05-10, 10:42
Any info?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaac_marchionna/5094854929/in/set-72157625069666261/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaac_marchionna/5095454050/in/set-72157625069666261/

btaksier
11-05-10, 10:51
Kinda looks like a cut down MVG. I could be wrong though.

Mac5.56
11-05-10, 10:55
Kinda looks like a cut down MVG. I could be wrong though.

I was going to say the same thing.

Titleist
11-05-10, 11:01
Considering those came off my camera, and I was there, I can tell you that NO...not a new magpul handstop. Cut down RVG.

CaptainDooley
11-05-10, 11:19
Looks slick.

Zhurdan
11-05-10, 11:38
Curious... What does that say about their belief in their own products?

Not bashing and I realize they're always moving forwards but the thought that they don't continue to use a product lends me to believe that they've found either
A.) something wrong with it or
B.) something better.

(probably something better considering the nature of their products being "theory" based)

Personally, I like the AFG and it has helped me to bring my shot in over the past year at a considerably faster rate of fire.

Titleist
11-05-10, 11:40
Chris also uses a handstop on his battle rifle. It doesn't say jack or shit.

Their guns are all configured different ways because they're constantly trying new stuff. I wouldn't take it as them not having faith in their own products.

JSTICFRALL
11-05-10, 12:01
^^^ Agreed. All it says is they're constantly looking for new ways to improve the interaction between weapon and operator. I'm putting money on the fact that with the idea of a hand stop being made from the RVG, they'll probably design a dedicated hand stop as an option for those who want one.

rob_s
11-05-10, 12:03
I intended to cut mine down the same way until I found something else to play with for the time being.

CaptainDooley
11-05-10, 12:03

Not bashing and I realize they're always moving forwards but the thought that they don't continue to use a product lends me to believe that they've found either
B.) something better.

(probably something better considering the nature of their products being "theory" based)

Personally, I like the AFG and it has helped me to bring my shot in over the past year at a considerably faster rate of fire.

If you look through that album you'll see Costa using an AFG on a 7.62 gun it looked like...

Also, I would expect people who innovate to keep trying new things - other wise they would cease to be innovators...

Titleist
11-05-10, 12:07
If you look through that album you'll see Costa using an AFG on a 7.62 gun it looked like...

Also, I would expect people who innovate to keep trying new things - other wise they would cease to be innovators...

That's MY 7.62 gun! ;)

I like the AFGs, but am finding that I also prefer systems like the simple tubular forearms like the ones on the Troys, Larue OBRs, Knights SR-25 slick rails, etc.

I've definitely moved away from short vertical grips. Again, it's just Chris, Travis, and Steve trying new weapon configs. Despite different hand stops/etc, their grips remain essentially the same. THAT'S the key.

Zhurdan
11-05-10, 12:10

Kinda what I figured (and said in my post). The thought of them finding something wrong with their other products was simply the flip side to them having found something better (two sides to the coin and all). Especially considering the science behind their other products, I just found it an interesting notion. I'm glad they continue to innovate. I know that I learned more in three days at one of their classes than I've learned in the past three years.

Didn't look thru the album as I wasn't sure if it was meant to be public.

J-Dub
11-05-10, 12:13

B.) something better.

I believe they made it hollow so the end user could cut it to whatever length they prefer it.....just sayin.

Stickman
11-05-10, 12:32

Do you really find it hard to imagine that individual shooters within the company try new things? There are a bunch of people using cut down MVG/ RVGs, its simple to modify them for your own likes and dislikes.

ejeffreyhorn
11-05-10, 12:40
That Travis is using a cut down MOE instead of the AFG on a MOE handguard doesn't surprise me at all. Once you add on the rail to the MOE and then attach the AFG to it, you lose some of the ergonomics of the AFG. It's not as easy to get your thumb up over the bore line with that setup and it just feels a little goofy, IMO. Maybe we'll see a MOE compatible version of the AFG similar to the MVG in the future.

Darkop
11-05-10, 12:44
I intended to cut mine down the same way until I found something else to play with for the time being.

After running all kinds of VFG's and three Magpul AFG's on three different rifles, I have since removed all of them. My times actually improved and from position shooting they don't get in the way when in, over and under stuff/cover. I do kind like a VFG for running one handed malfunction drills though. Just jamb it in somewhere and clear the gun. But that can be done with the front sight base as well. Chris and Travis will never be stay with one setup, they will always push forward.

Until that day,
Darkop

Zhurdan
11-05-10, 12:48
Do you really find it hard to imagine that individual shooters within the company try new things? There are a bunch of people using cut down MVG/ RVGs, its simple to modify them for your own likes and dislikes.

Nope, and I've said that twice now. I was simply curious.

CaptainDooley
11-05-10, 12:49
Kinda what I figured (and said in my post). The thought of them finding something wrong with their other products was simply the flip side to them having found something better (two sides to the coin and all). Especially considering the science behind their other products, I just found it an interesting notion. I'm glad they continue to innovate. I know that I learned more in three days at one of their classes than I've learned in the past three years.

Didn't look thru the album as I wasn't sure if it was meant to be public.

I also meant to mention that putting a rail and then an AFG onto MOE handguards is quite a bit bulkier than just putting an MVG on there and cutting it into a handstop - so I would think that may have played into the decision.

aflin
11-05-10, 13:06
Hmm...talk about thinking outside of the box...I like. I just might do that to mine.

ryu_sekai
11-05-10, 13:14
I cut mine down.
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz140/raizo_sekai/e446cacd.jpg

downbad
11-05-10, 13:22
I got mine for cheap intending on cutting it down.

Stickman
11-05-10, 13:24
Nope, and I've said that twice now. I was simply curious.

Cool, the internet is a funny thing in that a remark can be written and meant one way, and taken completely different by others. :)

I've been playing around with cut RVG/ MVGs for awhile, and for the way that I personally hold a weapon, it works very well.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Centurion%20Arms/CTOMS_0653-1024-Stick.jpg

Fire
11-05-10, 13:34
The VG's were made that way and intended to be cut down if desired by the user, as stated by Magpul @ SHOT 2010 - youtube.com/watch?v=6RidKP_TxD0

kdcgrohl
11-05-10, 14:14
I'm a handstop fan and I've got an MVG that's gonna get cut soon.
Another option, IWC now has a handstop.

Zhurdan
11-05-10, 14:16
Cool, the internet is a funny thing in that a remark can be written and meant one way, and taken completely different by others. :)

I've been playing around with cut RVG/ MVGs for awhile, and for the way that I personally hold a weapon, it works very well.

Indeed, the internet is a squirmy beast.

One other question for you... Why the angle on the cut? Does it help to keep it from snagging on stuff or serve some other purpose?

stifled
11-05-10, 14:28
I'm a handstop fan and I've got an MVG that's gonna get cut soon.
Another option, IWC now has a handstop.

I just hope they make it purchasable soon, unless you're talking about using one of the QD attachments. I need something a bit more substantial than their QD attachment, and the MVG doesn't fit the profile of my Troy rail perfectly which leads me to worry too much stress is being put on a small area of the MVG. I've been considering cutting down the MVG on my Noveske rifle that has MOE handguards on it, just haven't gone and done it.

Sort of surprised someone said 2 pictures of Travis using a cut-down MVG means Magpul doesn't stand behind their products. :rolleyes: Anti-fanboys are almost as infuriating as regular fanboys.

rob_s
11-05-10, 14:31
Sort of surprised someone said 2 pictures of Travis using a cut-down MVG means Magpul doesn't stand behind their products. :rolleyes: Anti-fanboys are almost as infuriating as regular fanboys.

I don't think he meant it that way at all, and thought the reaction was totally out of line.

Zhurdan
11-05-10, 14:44
I don't think he meant it that way at all, and thought the reaction was totally out of line.

I absolutely didn't mean it that way, thank you Rob_s.

I've had the pleasure of taking a class with Chris and Travis and I respect those gentlemen quite a bit. In fact, my wife is getting a bit concerned that I'm stuck in some sort of temporal distortion. She says I keep talking about the class I took in April like it happened yesterday. Quite possibly one of the best experiences in my shooting life.

stifled
11-05-10, 15:09
My apologies Zhurdan! :agree: I must have misread your post the first go.

Zhurdan
11-05-10, 15:15
My apologies Zhurdan! :agree: I must have misread your post the first go.

No worries. I just didn't want Travis or Chris to track me down in a dark alley for any misconceptions. Especially Chris!!! Look what happened last time!!:D:sarcastic:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/Magpul%20class/pueblo4-4-2010-31.jpg

Kegger
11-05-10, 15:23
I knida like the look of it and will probably end up picking one up to do just that.

And to derail, why does Travis look like a damn hippy?:blink:

devilsdeeds
11-05-10, 15:40
And to derail

and whats his badge for?

orlanger
11-05-10, 15:43
Reserve Deputy one would assume.

mtdawg169
11-05-10, 21:17
That's MY 7.62 gun! ;)

I saw something much more interesting than a cut down RVG in those pics. Someone has a new muzzle device. ;)

BABC or SuperTap?

Titleist
11-05-10, 21:25
I saw something much more interesting than a cut down RVG in those pics. Someone has a new muzzle device. ;)

BABC or SuperTap?

Good eye. That was a T&E super tap I was running.

Bolt_Overide
11-06-10, 01:36
Without this type of experimentation and innovation, how many of the groovy AR type products we have now wouldnt exist?

mtdawg169
11-06-10, 11:52
Good eye. That was a T&E super tap I was running.

You get to play with all the super cool toys. :p