PDA

View Full Version : M16 procurement "Justfication and Approval" letter

Slater
11-05-10, 11:09
https://www.fbo.gov/download/9cb/9cb2ab100795a41fa244e4b41e65460a/W52H0911D0001.pdf

First time I've seen one of the above documents with respect to M16 rifle procurement. If I'm reading it correctly, it says that only TDP-compliant companies may be awarded these contracts (Colt, FN, Sabre Defence) and that other commercially-available versions are not acceptable. Wonder if some other company complained?

mizer67
11-05-10, 18:13
Any competitor must meet the Govts. requirements or be disqualified from the bid.

Any commercial manufacturer could submit a bid as long as they met the requirements in the SOW and TDP (and CDRLs/CLINs, etc.). This may mean they would have to change production requirements or source different parts with stricter quality requirements from their civilian line.

I doubt anyone complained, they were just stating fact in the SSJ. What the govt. specifies must be met (except in the rare instance(s) where you can convince the KO to change the requirements).

On the bright side, if you buy 76.6K M16A4's, they're only $639 each. Too bad Colt won't sell them to the general population at that price. :D

dewatters
11-08-10, 11:49
There have been a lot of J&A published as of late regarding sole-source or limited-source procurements. I don't know if someone is cracking down on such procurements, or if the acquisition agencies are getting better about publishing the J&A online.