PDA

View Full Version : ***Message from Matt Halprin – New Listing Restrictions on Gun Parts on Ebay***

heijutsu
07-30-07, 14:30
The following was pulled from Ebay's website

"Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.

As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.

After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. – have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.

This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,

Matt Halprin
Vice President, Trust & Safety"

Well, for starters I didn't know there was anything bought on Ebay that was used by the idiot at VT. Anybody have any further information on that? I think we can now safely say that Ebay isn't 2nd Ammendment friendly.

Derek_Connor
07-30-07, 15:31
not such a huge loss i would imagine.

How many of of us who take firearms/training serious buy parts/components off of ebay?

I'd imagine the only down side is them banning brass, i have seen some good deals appear

Nathan_Bell
07-30-07, 15:41
not such a huge loss i would imagine.

How many of of us who take firearms/training serious buy parts/components off of ebay?

I'd imagine the only down side is them banning brass, i have seen some good deals appear

Gun Parts(8999)
Gun Accessories(10121)
Reloading Equipment(5035)
Scopes, Optics, Lasers(8247)

Listed right now on Ebay. Not an insignifigant number, remember those of us who take frearms and training seriously are a tiny tiny minority. So Ebay's action to marginalize the majority of gun owners only further marginalizes us in the eyes of the herd.

Alpha Sierra
07-30-07, 16:52
Screw them and their Trust & Safety.

They are nothing but a bunch of Bay Area fags covering their six.

The free market will expand on the pro-gun internet marketplaces already in place.

sproc
07-30-07, 17:08
Worst mixed metaphor ever.

The free market will expand on the pro-gun internet marketplaces already in place.
Whether or not that is true, this is still a defeat. Moving all gun trade to a virtual underworld is not an attractive alternative. It would be much better to live in a world where we could use eBay for gun-related purchases. Not to mention Walmart and others who are increasing distancing themselves from guns. Whether their reasons are fear of lawsuits, insurance policies, or internal anti-gun sentiments, strong public backlash is a better response than just voting with our feet. We need to get to a point where companies are scared to do anything that can be perceived as anti-gun rather than the other way around.

Trim2L
07-30-07, 19:46
...the Trust & Safety policy team –

Thats a laugh.

Most of Ebay is in Salt Lake City, UT.

Alpha Sierra
07-30-07, 20:09
Most of Ebay is in Salt Lake City, UT.
Take a guess as to where are they incorporated and where their corporate HQ are....

Alpha Sierra
07-30-07, 20:14
Whether or not that is true, this is still a defeat. Moving all gun trade to a virtual underworld is not an attractive alternative. It would be much better to live in a world where we could use eBay for gun-related purchases. Not to mention Walmart and others who are increasing distancing themselves from guns. Whether their reasons are fear of lawsuits, insurance policies, or internal anti-gun sentiments, strong public backlash is a better response than just voting with our feet. We need to get to a point where companies are scared to do anything that can be perceived as anti-gun rather than the other way around.

I disagree. One of the hallmarks of our country is the free market and the free market abhors a vacuum. This one will be filled as well. Being vociferous in our complaints achieves far less than voting with our $$ and giving them to gunbroker, gunsamerica, and whoever else pops up.

They don't want our money. Fine. I enjoy not giving it to them.

As for Walmart, I can't think of a poorer example to make a point. Their firearms selection has ALWAYS been beyond weak in terms of variety and quality. Their ammo prices may be OK, but I would rather patronize someone who will service me in the long run.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

sproc
07-30-07, 21:41
My point is that we would all be better off if firearms were more visible in society. The more rare they become in the public's eye, the easier it is to demonize and ultimately eradicate them. As much as I dislike eBay in general and was never impressed by Walmart's selection, I appreciated the firearms exposure they provided for a time.

So even if I never would have bought a firearm-related item off eBay or Walmart, it's still important to me that they continue to offer them.

Finally, barring an unprecedented solidarity among gun owners, no eBay boycott would be detectable. Hence my conclusion that complaining would be more effective than voting with your feet. So do both. :-)

rhino
07-31-07, 01:58
One might note that many people are stabbed with knives in acts of violence around the world on a daily basis, yet the trade of knives on eBay is voluminous.

Alpha Sierra
07-31-07, 05:08
One might note that many people are stabbed with knives in acts of violence around the world on a daily basis, yet the trade of knives on eBay is voluminous.

Ebay is not concerned with facts, just with image.

fattboyzz
07-31-07, 06:05
I read that junk last night -------how sad -------california this an global that---- yes I buy off eboo but it will be alot less now an its there decision.... More than half our walmart stores dont sell guns here in south atl. already. Like the other guy above I would rather buy from local bunker guys who stand behind are personal ,helpful and are my neighbors.

RocketFoot
07-31-07, 06:06
We found this email link for Halprin in an ebay townhall post...

mhalprin@eBay.com

I plan on using Gun Broker more, but I still wanted to tell this guy what I think about the new policy! Everyone should!

p7k3
07-31-07, 06:24

mhalprin@eBay.com

I plan on using Gun Broker more, but I still wanted to tell this guy what I think about the new policy! Everyone should!

+1, It's worth a minute to let them know how you feel, I asked if they will stop selling cars if one is involved in a drunk driving death.

Nathan_Bell
07-31-07, 06:48

mhalprin@eBay.com

I know that most on this forum know this, but when writing emails such as the ones you are proposing, stay professional.

utarch00
07-31-07, 17:47
I recommend that they should stop selling car and parts, because cars have been known to kill people.:D

Nathan_Bell
08-01-07, 07:08
I recommend that they should stop selling car and parts, because cars have been known to kill people.:D

So have:

Ladders
Scissors
Screw drivers
Ice Picks
Baseball bats
Hockey sticks
Hockey pucks
Baseballs
Shoe laces
Plastic bags
Bowling balls
Bowling pins
Cell Phones
Electrical cables
Grills
Hammers
Computers
Bath tubs
Sinks
Skid steer loaders
Back hoes
bulldozers
semi trailers
hot dogs
coffee makers

Kurt Reifert
08-01-07, 07:43
The coward from VT apparently bought a few magazines for his Walther P22 from ebay.
I can't for the life of me see how this make ebay responsible for what happened.

Bpunk360
08-01-07, 22:22
ok well after hearing this im deleting my ebay and paypal account anyway.. but here is a link to sign a petition; looks like its basically all negative calling ebay a bunch of assclowns...

http://www.petitiononline.com/ebay0001/petition.html