PDA

View Full Version : Is an EoTech 553 trustworthy?

mhanna91
11-05-10, 13:45
I will be setting up a new rifle in the near future, and I already have plans for everything but the optic. I know I want a red dot of some sort. I am considering buying either an Aimpoint comp ML3 or an eoTech 553. I know that most will say that I should go with the ML3, and that Aimpoints are leaps and bounds ahead of EoTechs in terms of reliability, but I don't completely buy into that since lots of agencies use EoTechs and you see them in military operations frequently. I currently have a 512 and I love the reticle on it, and I havent had any problems with it (it has not been run hard or abused either), so I am really considering a 553 because of battery compatibility with my flashlights and the fact that it comes with a QD mount. Also, most of the time when I hear trash talk about EoTechs, comments are pretty much blanket statements about the whole line of sights they offer. My question is about the durability of the 553 specifically. Does anyone have any input?

dennisuello
11-05-10, 14:04
Why not XPS?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=50043

Hmac
11-05-10, 14:08
I don't know about the 553. I have a few Eotechs that mount the batteries inline, but haven't had any problems. Nevertheless, I've become a big fan of the EXPS concept. I been using an OPMOD and like it a lot. CR123 mounted transversely, 500-hour battery life, side-mounted buttons, lever QD mount.

Watrdawg
11-05-10, 14:15
I've had my 553 for about 5 months now and so far love it. I've put about 2000 rds down range with it on my weapon and it seems to be fine so far. The only thing I don't like about it is the weight.

stifled
11-05-10, 15:00
I don't know about the 553. I have a few Eotechs that mount the batteries inline, but haven't had any problems. Nevertheless, I've become a big fan of the EXPS concept. I been using an OPMOD and like it a lot. CR123 mounted transversely, 500-hour battery life, side-mounted buttons, lever QD mount.

I recently got one of these to try and like it quite a bit--it's a clearly superior setup to the 512 I own. I prefer the Aimpoint reticle a bit, but an extra $200 for that and the ridiculous battery life isn't worth it on every gun I have.

Hmac
11-05-10, 15:04
I recently got one of these to try and like it quite a bit--it's a clearly superior setup to the 512 I own. I prefer the Aimpoint reticle a bit, but an extra $200 for that and the ridiculous battery life isn't worth it on every gun I have.

I think the OPMOD is a good deal for those extra features at under $400 (rebate +Optics Planet promo code, no tax charged, free shipping)

stifled
11-05-10, 15:11
I think the OPMOD is a good deal for those extra features at under $400 (rebate +Optics Planet promo code, no tax charged, free shipping)

That's how I looked at it. I missed one of the good promos, but it still came to just a hair over $400.

JSantoro
11-05-10, 15:13
since lots of agencies use EoTechs and you see them in military operations frequently.

They also have users who are likely to be able to walk up to a window and get a new optic if theirs goes down. That doesn't hold true for the individual shooter that spending their own $$$ for one of them. I'll use 'em, but I refuse to buy 'em.

If you're buying your own, be mindful of the springs and bumpers in the battery compartment. They're weak to begin with, and it's possible to pull them out by simply removing the batteries. It's advisable that you pull them yourself and reset them with something more robust than whatever adhesive EOTech uses in the manufacturing process. This is a known flaw, and Kyle Defoor has instructions on how to do the mod on his website.

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2009/12/mounting-tips-and-eotech-secret.html

Jury's still out on the XPS series. I had hopes that the opposed battery compartment would solve some things, but it's looking like it's not very well shock-isolated. Combine that with the fact that batteries aren't designed to take shock from the short axis.....

So, there's still connectivity problems, only now they're coming from cracked/ruptured batteries that lose juice from being broken and can get battery acid in the compartment. Add water to that, you get heat, maybe even fire, though that's a far less likely occurrence than simply having the thing go TU.

Hmac
11-05-10, 15:30
If you're buying your own, be mindful of the springs and bumpers in the battery compartment. They're weak to begin with, and it's possible to pull them out by simply removing the batteries. It's advisable that you pull them yourself and reset them with something more robust than whatever adhesive EOTech uses in the manufacturing process. This is a known flaw, and Kyle Defoor has instructions on how to do the mod on his website.

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2009/12/mounting-tips-and-eotech-secret.html

Jury's still out on the XPS series. I had hopes that the opposed battery compartment would solve some things, but it's looking like it's not very well shock-isolated. Combine that with the fact that batteries aren't designed to take shock from the short axis.....

So, there's still connectivity problems, only now they're coming from cracked/ruptured batteries that lose juice from being broken and can get battery acid in the compartment. Add water to that, you get heat, maybe even fire, though that's a far less likely occurrence than simply having the thing go TU.
Could you please clarify that the battery terminal problem was not limited to the 512s and 552s of a few years ago, and remains a problem across the lineup that Eotech has elected not to address?

Also, I'd be interested to see reports of broken batteries, heat, and maybe even fire on the XPS/EXPS line. That's a serious problem and those of us that are using Eotechs should be concerned about that. Got links?

Kchen986
11-05-10, 17:00
Regarding Eotech XPS series:

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2811094651/m/98220162563?r=68120713563#68120713563

Couple reports of the transverse mounted battery breaking open. I had originally thought of buying a XPS for Mossberg 500, but with reports of poor shock cushioning, I'd rather wait.

JSantoro
11-05-10, 17:34
Could you please clarify that the battery terminal problem was not limited to the 512s and 552s of a few years ago, and remains a problem across the lineup that Eotech has elected not to address?

I broke things down as long-axis, then short-axis compartments for that reason, but yeah, to put a point on it, all 51_ and 55_ models remain problematic because EO's idea of addressing reported and proven problems was to offer up replacement springs and buffers (of exactly the same material as that installed during initial assembly) and tell users "Instead of changing the material, we're going to let YOU fix them! Pretty cool, huh?"

The PVS-17C had similar problems with batteries losing contact, and a longer, harder buffer was retrofitted to old systems and implemented in new. It worked, because they changed the material.

Also, I'd be interested to see reports of broken batteries, heat, and maybe even fire on the XPS/EXPS line. That's a serious problem and those of us that are using Eotechs should be concerned about that. Got links?

My current interest is annoying folks into getting the print released. Until then, I'll run my yap about it. These things are still new to the market, and we're at the "swelling" part of the wave, not the crest. Not a lot online, outside of AARs of EAG Tactical classes; not just the one I've participated, and not just any select models. History will repeat itself, most likely. Folks that use the things heavily will be the start, strong denials of any problems ("But but but we turned the battery box!") will follow, then they'll grudgingly admit that maybe the middle of the battery needs to be supported under recoil impulse, and send out a kit for owners/users to put in.

Still talking about heavy or duty usage. The very great majority of shooters will not see these things come up because they not putting them to that kind of use. It's not an automatic condemnation of anything, just a very worthwhile consideration for somebody looking to purchase. Hell, I'VE got an EOTech, just not on anything set up for HD or the like. It, too, runs fine, but nor am I staking my life on it. I like using it, and I'd LOVE to see the thing(s) get good....

Valid point about the lithium thing, it needs clarification. Water and lithium mixing is bad. That's more of a known safety consideration in regard to lithium batteries across the board; you can find that on any MSDS sheet about lithium batteries of any sort. It's not exclusive to any device. If a lithium battery pops, and it's enclosed in hot environments, it can heat up and burn, also. That's an endorsement to buy good batteries, instead of thinking one is ahead of the game when they buy something from the Philippines in bulk instead of Duracell and their direct competitors, and also valid for any device that uses lithiums.

I DIDN'T specify that, and that's on me.

stifled
11-05-10, 19:56
Thanks for your posts, JSantoro. I was completely unaware of the (new) battery issues with the XPS line. What's frustrating to me is that it seems like a problem that could be fixed rather easily and inexpensively, so it's not like it'd add a significant manufacturing cost to the optics. I'm thinking some sort of dense foam sleeve would possibly mediate the problem.

I have always bought and used quality batteries and am now going to tell myself that the extra money I've spent on them has saved me from having to buy a new optic. :) Well, at least for now.