PDA

View Full Version : HK45 or USP .45 Tactical?

sundance435
11-05-10, 14:20
I was close to purchasing a 1911 and then I decided I didn't want to be $2k into a .45 before I felt comfortable using it for defense.

So, between these two, what is your opinion? I would be adding a threaded barrel to the HK45, because I like the longer barrel and I will not be CC'ing it.

I'm also looking at the USP .45 Compatct CT, but I'd rather get a fullsize gun first.

Thanks

ralph
11-05-10, 14:28
Since CC is'nt a consideration, I go with the HK45..It's a big improvement over the fullsize USP, More egronomic, changable grip panels, backstraps, and at least, if not more accurate.. I think they're also available with a LEM trigger

neo9710
11-05-10, 14:34
Agreed..I had my USP .45 for a long time and I'd get the HK45 first...

Mark71
11-05-10, 16:02
I prefer the HK45 as well. The USP grip feels like a 2x4 and was too big for my smaller hands. The HK45 fits me perfect. I also found the HK45 to be more accurate and even feels softer shooting. The Match Trigger is a plus on the Tactical but the HK45 feels very similar IMO. Another plus for the HK45 is that you can mount any light on its rail.

Both are excellent bomb proof .45's. Try to check both models out in person and get the one that fits you best.

sundance435
11-05-10, 16:54
Another question, what is the deal with the USP, USP Compact, and HK45 recoil springs? Do you have to buy the whole recoil spring unit, or can you just change springs? That's like $80 every few thousand rounds.

loupav
11-05-10, 22:14
Another question, what is the deal with the USP, USP Compact, and HK45 recoil springs? Do you have to buy the whole recoil spring unit, or can you just change springs? That's like $80 every few thousand rounds.

More like $80 every TWENTY thousand rounds, or so. I have 11k rounds down the pipe with my P2000 and not a single spring change yet.

As for the original question, why take a step back into time with the USP? Get the HK45, a "Happy Barrel" and you have a 45 for self defense that will last you for years and you will grow to love.

Ak44
11-05-10, 22:59
Tactical
Pros
12rd Mags
Threaded Barrel
Sweet case if your lucky
Tall Suppressor Sights

Cons
Need adapter for the rail

HK45
Pros
LEM trigger available
Normal rail that doesn't require an adapter

Cons
Doesn't have threaded barrel out of the box
Doesn't have tall suppressor sights out of the box
Chincy factory sights
10rd Mags

With all the above said I have both and shoot my HK45 with the LEM trigger installed and threaded barrel more often. I'm waiting to get some funds to get suppressor sights installed.

TXLowflyer
11-05-10, 23:37
I have both plus the compact tactical. The HK45 is a step up, The 45 I shoot and carry the most

variablebinary
11-05-10, 23:39
I am surprised HK hasn't done an HK45 tactical model yet.

Getting the barrel is easy enough, but then there are the tall sights to worry about

Overall, the HK45 feels and shoots better than the USP in my hands

Looks slick with the longer barrel as well

http://sgcusa.com/images/supporting_images_large/HK45_Barrel_Kit_Threaded_B.jpg

Ak44
11-05-10, 23:47
Yeah a factory HK45 Tactical would be nice...I'll have to make due with my threaded barrel and heinie tactical straight 8's :cool:

wargasm
11-06-10, 11:21
My HK USP 45 Tactical Variant 1 (whew!) is more of a safe queen than anything else. I got it "just because". It's big and bulky, got a cool soft case with accessories, screams tacticoolness, but is low on my CCW lineup. Besides, it was cheaper and easier to get than a Mk23.

harrydog
11-06-10, 15:31
I've owned both and I like the HK45 better in just about every way. Not that I didn't like the Tactical, but I just think the HK45 is an improvement. The only reason I'd buy the Tactical over the HK45 is if I were going to use a suppressor with it and that's only because of the sights.

gtmtnbiker98
11-06-10, 18:53
IMO, I prefer the HK45. I never warmed up to HK until they released the HK45 and P30. The USP never did anything for me. I personally prefer the HK45 Compact over the full size HK45. The two extra rounds does not make up for the added size.

Julian
11-07-10, 07:01
IMO I like the HK45C better than the HK45. I use the HK45 mags as back up mags to get the round count up.
I have several USP's and the HK45, the HK45C, the P30, and a few others. As far as the HK45 goes, the only issue I have with it is the frogger guard. The trigger channel, depending on hand size, can cause a blister during training. I've seen that happen to two guys now and have experienced it myself.
With the p-30, I beveled the channel to stop that issue. I'd have beveled the HK45 if the HK45C were not available.
I also like the the LEM trigger in all of them. It's so much easier to teach with. It has just a slightly longer reset distance, but not enough to be a real issue