PDA

View Full Version : Good to buy?

11-05-10, 15:36
First I like to thank someone from another website told me about this place.

I was looking at a bushmaster m4 but a lot of people told me they are over priced. I want to get a m4 carbine, I am new to the platform.

I was looking at a COLT model 6920, and the 6940, what is the real difference between them? and you can not go wrong with buying a colt right? I really want to stick with a colt. I do not know any of brands, really and colt has been around for 150 years. I am looking at it for a fun range gun and self defence. Has there even been complaints with this gun/models?

No I do not want no olyarms weapon, I have heard tons of bad things, such as going full auto.

Thanks for your help.

ryan
11-05-10, 15:38
Cant go wrong with Colt, or BCM, or LMT, or Daniel Defense, or Noveske.

arbob
11-05-10, 16:58
Cant go wrong with Colt, or BCM, or LMT, or Daniel Defense, or Noveske.

This is true. I`ve also never had a problem with my Bushmasters. They make a decent M4 clone. It really depends on your budget.

Lincoln7
11-05-10, 17:11
Bushmasters don't get any love here for a few reasons and you pretty much can't go wrong with Colt. So if you have access to a decent deal on a Colt, go for it.

Artiz
11-05-10, 17:23
This is true. I`ve also never had a problem with my Bushmasters. They make a decent M4 clone. It really depends on your budget.

His plans for this AR-15 include self defense. I think we can keep Bushmaster out of the idea.

jbo723
11-05-10, 17:27
Now is a great time to be an AR owner. There are many companies that offer a great product at great deals. since you have already defined the intended purpose of your rifle and already know exactly what type of AR you want, I would suggest taking some time to read the tacked thread in this forum and the Technical thread forum to fully understand the differences there are between various manufacturers..Things like barrel materials, bolt and barrel testing, and a few other things separate the good from the great IMO. Of all the gun forums I frequent, M4C has some really knowledgable SME's that I respect and their knowledge has helped me understand the AR platform a great deal. Even though most AR look the same asthetically, there is enough of a difference that make a few stand out above the rest. The manufacturers I would start with personally would be Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, and Noveske..Good luck in your quest..

Safetyhit
11-05-10, 17:28
I was looking at a COLT model 6920...

And with that we can end your search. Go with a base 6920 and work your way from there, one step at a time. You will never regret it.

Meplat
11-05-10, 17:32
There's a lot that people here could suggest as "good" or "great" brands, both of which are subjective terms depending on the person and the application, that you could go out and buy based on those recommendations. This will get you a good or even a great AR, but how will you know it's what you need or want, and at what price?

My suggestion is, if you haven't already, read the threads in the "Knowledge base thread" sticky on the AR General Discussion forum, and especially the stickies in the AR Technical Discussion forum.
More importantly than "knowing" which brand is best because of recommendations and what the cool guys are using (me especially :cool:), you will know *why* they are better, and you will be able to make a much sounder decision now and in the future for YOUR needs and applications.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, show a man where the supermarket is and he'll probably stop fishing. Or something like that. :sarcastic:

11-06-10, 08:06
"You will never regret it" Thats what I was looking for :P and you all pretty much sad that.

Yes now is a very good time to buy, I remember when Obama got in office, AR-15's where insane overpriced $1500 for a colt 6920... Now at my local place they are under $1200. Thanks for your help guys!

Failure2Stop
11-06-10, 08:37
This is true. I`ve also never had a problem with my Bushmasters.

And most low-roundcount users don't.
The problems don't usually arise until the user starts shooting with the regularity of a frequent dedicated shooter with high density training and practice. Even then, many will continue to function acceptably, the problems arise when it's your gun that stops working suddenly or develops indigestion when pushed hard.

They make a decent M4 clone.

Actually they make a carbine that is visually similar to an M4.
To make a clone it would have to be identical not only in outward appearance but also in composition, testing, and performance. BMs, quite frankly, are not.

It really depends on your budget.

Not really, considering that one can easily acquire other, better performing carbines, within $100 of similar BMs (less if you shop around).

These points have been covered exhaustively on this site in the past, please feel free to double check via the search function.