PDA

View Full Version : what is a very good .22 in semi-auto

ronbuick
11-05-10, 20:50
I bought new a Walther P22, I either got a bad one from the get go or these are just a shitty pistol, tried several different brands of ammo thru 3 factory mags all the same results, jamming in one form or another, got rid of that POS after several months, then went to the Tokarev,s in 7.62X25 surplus rounds, I have two of these jewels, never a jamming type problem after 5-700rds. but looking for a .22 for the wifey to shoot, so I woulod like to here from some of you guys with this type of pistol in the 250$ to 650$ or so range, all info
appreciated, thanks much. Open to new and old weapons so as not to be limited!!

Ron

LOKNLOD
11-05-10, 20:52
I'd take a look at the Ruger MkIII or 22/45, or the Browning Buckmark.

LHS
11-05-10, 21:38
The Ruger is nice. I have a Walther P22, and I don't care for it either. Then again, I won it in a raffle, so I can't complain. I've been curious about the GSG 1911 clone, but haven't gotten my hands on one yet. I've heard mixed reviews about the Sig Mosquito. The one I fired ran just fine, but it was hardly a thorough test.

My personal favorite is the Beretta Cheetah, but at $650+, it's just not worth it when you can get a used Ruger Mk.II for $300 or so.

skyugo
11-05-10, 21:43
ruger mkII or a glock conversion kit.

my MKII is the most reliable semi-auto 22 i've ever fired. it's amazing.

loupav
11-05-10, 22:05
Ruger MkII or MkIII.

ronbuick
11-06-10, 01:17
I looked at the Ruger and Browning models, they just did not flic my bic, I still like the way the P22 looks as it just looks more gunnish if there is such a work, but again the P 22 I had which I bought new was a POS, I really like the older Beretta Jaguar model 70-71 series, the old Masoud,sp!! gun, now just have to locate one or one that is similar looking with the great quality that is there, so please keep them coming, thanks

Ron

MichaelD
11-06-10, 01:35
Another vote for the Ruger Mark III / Mark III 22/45 series here.

wargasm
11-06-10, 11:25
I have a Sig Mosquito Sport, and like a Ruger or Browning, has some weight to it for steadier handling and more accurate shots. Try out as many as you can.

gunnut284
11-06-10, 11:42
The Ruger or Browning are the best .22 options as far as reliability and accuracy. If you don't like them thats ok but with anything else you are rolling the dice. I've owned or at least tried most of the other .22 models out there, past and present, and none of them were on par with the Ruger or Browning. That includes Beretta, Colt, High Standard, S&W, Walther, Ceiner, CZ and I'm sure a few more that escape me right now. About the only one I haven't tried is the Advantage Arms Glock kits, I haven't found one at a price I was willing to pay.

A-Bear680
11-06-10, 12:48
Another vote for the Ruger 22/45 with the bullbarrel . Some of the older Rugers have a Euro/Makarov style mag release . I had one for a year and constantly going for the thumb release was a insufferable PITA .
:blink:

wahoo95
11-06-10, 14:05
I really like my CZ Kadet! It's accurate and incredibly reliable.

Prange
11-06-10, 14:15
If you have a 1911, a Marvel conversion is worth a look. My 2 cents.

glockkid88
11-06-10, 15:30
I have a ruger mk 3 and it has a lot of feedway stoppages with cheap/bulk ammo. However, it runs perfect with cci minimags. I have noticed a lot of fluctuation in power levels of 22 ammo in the bulk packs. I would really experiment with the gun you have to find out if there is one brand of ammo that will run your gun.

milosz
11-06-10, 16:29
I really like my Ruger 22/45 RP - http://www.ruger.com/products/2245ReplaceablePanels/index.html

1911 grip angle, haven't had a stoppage in ~900 rounds (Aguila, CCI Mini-Mags), I think standard 1911 grips will change out on it.

ronbuick
11-06-10, 22:01
I really like the CZ 75 Kadet, looks like a pistol should,in my eyes, but it is a spendy bugger for a .22, especially after just buying a Bushy carbine in .308, the wifey might be inclined to read the instructions on its usage if I bought the Kadet, so at this time my eyes are set on it with a little more research on the weapon, just really like the way she looks, now just have to see how she fits!! thanks

Ron

cougar_guy04
11-07-10, 08:31
My suggestions as well. I've seen these (as well as the Walther P22) live in a really high round count environment. The Rugers we had were built like tanks and the Buckmarks held their own. The Walther P22 . . . . kept trying to eat itself (thread on piece kept coming loose and would start gouging material out) and would generally end up shitting the bed within a thousand rounds or two of rough use.

spr1
11-07-10, 08:56
As a long time, high round count, Ruger user, the "tank" analogy is very apt. I recently purchased a Buckmark and find it to be more natural feeling to shoot. The Buckmarks also have a much better trigger out of the box.

CleverNickname
11-07-10, 10:44
If you have a 1911, a Marvel conversion is worth a look. My 2 cents.

Ditto. I had a Ruger MkII before I got my Marvel, and the Marvel is much easier to clean and disassemble. I detail stripped the Ruger once. Never again, you need three hands and a lot of swearing to get them back together.

Seraph
11-07-10, 11:38
Browning Buckmark Camper Tru-Glo!

I bought this pistol, thinking I was going to modify it with Tactical Solutions stuff, but I like it too much, now. It's really accurate, and very ammunition tolerant. I shoot it everytime I go to the range.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/Buckmark_02.jpg

EzGoingKev
11-07-10, 18:17
I went to the range once with a bunch of guys and one had a P22 and my opinion was it was more trouble than it was worth.

I was thinking about picking up a .22 pistol but then thought to just get a .22 conversion for my Glock.

Who makes the best Glock kit?

glockkid88
11-07-10, 19:28
Seraph, that is a really nice looking pistol!

Bolt_Overide
11-08-10, 02:53
For a dedicated .22 I prefer the browning buckmark.

That said, I vastly prefer a good .22 conversion for either glock (advantage arms) or 1911 (marvel).

ronbuick
11-08-10, 15:45
I'm going to look at a Ruger Mk ll in the next couple of days, he is out of town for work and we spoke this morning, has a 4-4.5" bbl, he is asking 250.00$ for it, thoughts on the price, he says it is a very nice piece that he does not need anymore and he said that he has put at least a couple of hundred rds. down the bbl, and never a jam, that POS P22 could only dream of doing that with 1 mag, but I sure liked the looks of the P22 but shoots like Rosie O looks.

Ron

Seraph
11-08-10, 16:11
Seraph, that is a really nice looking pistol!

Ha! Thanks, but it's just a Camper, with a Tru-Glo front sight. There are much "nicer" Buckmarks, but I like this basic inexpensive model. The trigger was gritty when I got it out of the box. Took the pistol apart, and found... grit. Grit, shavings, and dust were abundant inside. After cleaning and reassembly, the pistol exhibited a much cleaner grit-free trigger, which broke in really nicely, after about 300 rounds.

rdc0000
11-08-10, 18:49
what is a very good .22 in semi-auto = S&W 41

VLODPG
11-08-10, 19:06
You can't go wrong with a Ruger MKII

kittyhawk
11-08-10, 19:54
One word Ruger. I have a MKII and a 22/45 and have shot a bizzillion round through both and Love them....Great guns and made to last.

Dave

ronbuick
11-08-10, 20:04
just looked at the cost of this S&W 41, 1200.00 for a 22 pistol is just to rich for my blood and for that price it better be good, real good, thanks

Ron

Gutshot John
11-08-10, 20:11
The Rugers are nice guns but they are a bitch to disassemble/clean/reassemble.

If I was going to choose I'd go with the Buckmark.

Ironnewt
11-09-10, 05:35
If you go for a Ruger look for a MK II. You will probably be able to shoot it before you buy while a MK III (Current Production) will in all likelyhood be a new gun. In addition the MK III has a lot of lawyer required parts that in my opinion just make the pistol needlessly more complex. If you look for deals you might find a used S&W 41 for quite a bit less than the new price. Excellent pistols, very easy to field strip

stifled
11-09-10, 06:51
Most of my experience is with Ruger MkIII and Browning Buckmark when it comes to .22 pistols. I am a big fan of both as the ones I've shot never malfunctioned with a variety of ammo and just worked.

More importantly, with both you can use a McFadden Ultimate Cliploader (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=523189). Using this, I can load a magazine in about 2 seconds without wearing a divot in my thumb. Excellent product I'd recommend to anyone with a compatible pistol.

Artos
11-09-10, 07:02
what is a very good .22 in semi-auto = S&W 41

this...it will be on your upper price tag window & will have to seach for a used unit but one of the better made 22's out there.

Colt woodsman would be another solid choice.

dorchester
11-09-10, 07:14
Everyone contributing here keeps repeating themselves. For very good reasons, those pistols work. Look for good used deals and price can be greatly mitigated. Best large .22= S&W 41. Best value in large .22= Ruger or Browning. The Ruger is a pain to break down but as you only really need to do this once a decade or so (I kid, I kid), I wouldn't let it bother me too much. Best small .22= Berettas. The 87 is a little hard to find but totally worth it, the 70 much harder but great cool factor and very slim. Walther is, sadly, a turkey. No experience with the Mosquito, but it looks as cheap as it is. Any of the mini .22's, even the Berettas, are nearly worthless. All the domestic pistols have reasonably priced magazines, foreign, not so much. Conversion kits tend to be very finicky. My old CZ Kadet being the only exception I've experienced. Have fun...

GPalmer
11-09-10, 08:28

That would be my vote also. I have the 22/45 and the Buckmark and both are rock solid.

dogloose
11-09-10, 10:04
I bought a GSG 1911... very well-built... magazines are excellent... shoots Remington Golden Bullet from Walmart all day... accurately and without a hiccup... fun to shoot... cheap to shoot... and breaks down easily... almost exactly like a 1911 with many interchangeable parts... I sold my Ruger Mark II because of the PIA factor breaking it down... For me the GSG meets my needs for a .22 plinker...

Dave James
11-09-10, 17:18
I have,had a chance to play with the conversion units for the Glock,SIG, and Colts are are good to go IMO, for a straight 22 handgun I use and swear by High Standards, older models can be found for a decent price on the auction sites.

ra2bach
11-09-10, 17:34
I have,had a chance to play with the conversion units for the Glock,SIG, and Colts are are good to go IMO, for a straight 22 handgun I use and swear by High Standards, older models can be found for a decent price on the auction sites.

love my High Standard Supermatic Citation. this is the Mercedes Benz of rimfire pistols and is truly a fine piece of machinery made in the golden age of firearms production. it is far more accurate than I ever was or will be.

my buddy thinks shooting it is so addictive he calls it "gun crack". but I want something that more closely duplicates my centerfire pistols operation and I have it for sale now to purchase a SIG P226/.22

Toonces
11-09-10, 20:40
Since you said that the Ruger/Brownings don't excite you, I would go to a used S&W 41 first, or a Beretta 87 as a distant second. The fact that the 41 is still made and has factory support is a huge plus in my book, compared to a High Standard or Colt Woodsman. Any of these four will likely be at the top of your price range, or close to it.

If you do decide to go with a less expensive gun, a MK II 22/45 would be my recommendation. If you have any mechanical abilities whatsoever, taking it apart far enough to clean and putting it back together will not be a problem. I can go from a functioning pistol, to having the barrel off and bolt out, and back to a functioning pistol in 25 seconds. A full frame strip is a pain, but is never really necessary. I haven't done mine since the trigger job, and that was over 20,000 rounds ago.

love my High Standard Supermatic Citation. this is the Mercedes Benz of rimfire pistols and is truly a fine piece of machinery made in the golden age of firearms production. it is far more accurate than I ever was or will be.

The 106/107 High Standards are beautiful guns, with one ugly flaw: Magazines. I had a 7 1/4" fluted barrel Citation 107, and it was one of the best looking guns I owned. I sold mine because I lost interest in tinkering with the magazines in an attempt to make work as well as my Hammerli 208s or Mk II. The new production $45 factory (Dallas) mags that don't work out of the wrapper didn't help anything, either. I think of the High Standards the same way this forum thinks of the 1911: They can be great, for those willing to put in the effort of ownership.

If you can stand the work, but don't like the High Standard price, search out a "SH" series pistol. They may not be as pretty, they don't have push-button barrel removal, but they are good guns. If my 107 had ever ran as good as my sister's SH, I probably would still own it.

ronbuick
11-10-10, 00:41
Out of curiosity, how about the Puma, Chiappa Arms 1911/22, they are inexpensive and I do like the looks very much, kinda like the S&W for much less dinero, thanks for bearing with me in my can not make up my fickle friggin mind and asking questions.

Ron

dorton
11-10-10, 21:06
Lots of good pistols mentioned. My first choice would be Ruger MKIII, after that a Ruger MKII, then I would consider the others.

longball
11-10-10, 22:37
If you're looking for something to practice malfunction drills with, a Mosquito would be a great choice. Other than that they're just as worthless as the P22 in my opinion. I've put a lot of rounds through a Ruger MkII and never had any issues. If you can find a heavy barrel "Government Model" they are great shooters. Some of them will shoot right along with some pretty decent rifles.

ronbuick
11-10-10, 23:21
ran into an unexpected bill Monday in the mail from my small business
I sold and was going to buy a Ruger Mark ll, but if I did wifey would use it on me, so I was at the local gun shop today and he had a Browning Challanger ll with a 6.75 bbl. so I put a few dollars on it for a lay-away, gun feels real good in my hands and has a nice balance, so my question to you guys are your thoughts on this .22, the gun is very nice BTW, thanks guys.

Ron

m1a_scoutguy
11-10-10, 23:42
Out of curiosity, how about the Puma, Chiappa Arms 1911/22, they are inexpensive and I do like the looks very much, kinda like the S&W for much less dinero, thanks for bearing with me in my can not make up my fickle friggin mind and asking questions.

Ron

Check this out,,,http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=55 It doesn't sound to promising ! :( I held one the other day myself,,it seemed OK & the price was decent,,but I just figured I would wait !! I checked out the following link,,& now I'm glad I didn't buy it !!! I think the Ruger 22/45 is in my future,,,real soon !!!