PDA

View Full Version : How are Armalite rifles?

bb223
11-06-10, 04:09
Hey guys,

I've got the itch to get a 20" gov't profile rifle and I've been looking at getting an Armalite A2 upper.

This will mostly be a "fun gun" and not anything serious, but I still don't want junk. There's just something about M16A2 style rifles that I like :D

I checked out the chart, so I understand that Armalite does not individually testing certain parts, but I am not to sure how that translates from carbines to rifles.

BCM A4 flattop is an option too, but I already know about them, it's Armalite I don't know much about.

So, overall, are Armalite rifles pretty good?

Also, this is not the reason I am buying it, but just for curiosity's sake is it something you could bet your life on?

I know it's not a Colt or a BCM (already got one of each, but both are Carbines), but Armalite is a pretty established manufacturer by now right? Even if it isn't the original Armalite company.

Thanks guys.

120mm
11-06-10, 04:29
Search key:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=65883&highlight=armalite

mark5pt56
11-06-10, 07:06
Do some research on the topic to be more informed.

In my opinion, treat it as an investment and if you need to spend 10-20% more to get better quality and potential resale later, that's a better option.

Any others--unless you have first hand articulable knowledge on the name--leave it out--I'll recheck this later, hope you get the point.

this may give additional information

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=56063

Eric
11-06-10, 08:59
My experience has been limited to an Armalite Carbine and Mid-length, not a rifle length. However, the materials and assembly methods are similar. Both of mine flat out run. Indeed, the batch testing isn't the prefered method and most folks prefer 1/7 over 1/9, but as long as the end user it aware what he is getting, all is well. If my duty Colt were to become unavailable and the Armalite had to be put into serivce, I would not lose any sleep over it.

GLOCKMASTER
11-06-10, 09:12
I would not buy an Armalite or could you give me one.I would heed mark5pt56's advice on treating like it's an investment and spend on little more to get a better built rifle.

My opinion is based on my experience with the 200 Armalite rifles that I'm responsible for at my primary job.

jklaughrey
11-06-10, 09:32
I have extreme sympathy for you having to deal with 200 of those tragedies J. Let me guess "bean counter" purchase or surplus.

GLOCKMASTER
11-06-10, 09:34
Let me guess "bean counter" purchase or surplus.

Neither.

jklaughrey
11-06-10, 09:37
Well either way at least your in the best position to give sage advice concerning that manufacturer, which is beneficial to us all. Cheers.

Eric
11-06-10, 09:39
I would not buy an Armalite or could you give me one.I would heed mark5pt56's advice on treating like it's an investment and spend on little more to get a better built rifle.

My opinion is based on my experience with the 200 Armalite rifles that I'm responsible for at my primary job. A sample of 200 trumps 2. What issues are observed?

GLOCKMASTER
11-06-10, 16:23
A sample of 200 trumps 2. What issues are observed?

Gas key bolts not properly staked, lack of feed ramps which caused serious feeding issues, several rear sights were not properly installed, shitty magazines and a barrel came loose. I believe that's about it.

bb223
11-06-10, 21:34
So then a BCM A4gery would be my best bet?

GermanSynergy
11-06-10, 21:51
A much better choice than an Armalite, yes.

So then a BCM A4gery would be my best bet?

ThirdWatcher
11-07-10, 01:59
Another vote for the BCM4. I am very happy with mine. :)