PDA

View Full Version : barrel life (chrome lined vs BFH)

CCFD1414
11-06-10, 09:30
How long will a standard CL (BCM) barrel last compared to a BFH barrel (BCM or DD)?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-06-10, 12:17
I was also wondering this a while back before I bought my BCM BFH bbl. It seems most believe that it will in fact cause the bbl to last a little bit longer, while others believe it is a more cost effective maching option (after the machine can be afforded to the MFG) and is therefore a marketing ploy. I havent seen any cold hard stats on this issue, but a general consensus is that is will ever so slightly reduce accuracy, but not to the point that the avg shooter would notice or care about.

To me it came down to this: If I can have it and it may increase my bbl longevity, then why not do it. Is it necessary? No. Is it nice to have? Yes.

My next build will be a BCM lightweight and I will not be purchasing a BFH bbl, simply because this will be my prarie dog gun, not my fighting carbine.

Robb Jensen
11-06-10, 12:40
How long will a standard CL (BCM) barrel last compared to a BFH barrel (BCM or DD)?

The standard chrome lined BCM barrel on 'Filthy 14' (Pat Rogers/EAG) gun has in excess of 40K rounds on it and still shoots 2" groups at 50yds with an Aimpoint.

markm
11-06-10, 12:46
I agree with Robb. I have an old ass beater 14.5 CL Bushmaster M4 profile barrel with in the neighborhood of 30 thousand rounds through it...

I shot some 2" and sub 2" 5 round groups off artificial support and a rear squeeze bag yesterday when I was studying my POI shift with elevation adjustments at 100 yards.

Whootsinator
11-06-10, 12:53
To me it came down to this: If I can have it and it may increase my bbl longevity, then why not do it. Is it necessary? No. Is it nice to have? Yes.

Agreed.

One other thing to keep in mind is that CHF barrels are denser than standard barrels. Take that for what you will. With the same dimensions as a standard barrel it will be slightly heavier. They can also be made thinner than a standard, though.

mkmckinley
11-06-10, 17:37
Im not a metallurgist but how is it possible to have two pieces of metal with the same alloy but different densities? Aren't they noncompressible?

BR870
11-06-10, 18:30
It is the lifespan of the chrome lining that really determines how long a barrel will last. Button forged or CHF doesn't make a difference in how long the chrome lining holds up for...

Robb Jensen
11-06-10, 20:13
BCM BFH chrome lined barrels have thicker chrome to begin with vs standard chorme lined BCM barrels.
The chrome in either barrels bore will still be intact long after the throat is gone and the gun doesn't shoot 4MOA groups anymore and still have chrome in the bore when the bolt will no longer headspace safely.

BR870
11-06-10, 23:12
BCM BFH chrome lined barrels have thicker chrome to begin with vs standard chorme lined BCM barrels.
The chrome in either barrels bore will still be intact long after the throat is gone and the gun doesn't shoot 4MOA groups anymore and still have chrome in the bore when the bolt will no longer headspace safely.
Absolutely. I probably should have specified that I was talking about erosion of the chrome lining at the throat being the main limitation on the life of a barrel, not along the whole bore...

I did not know that BCM BFH have thicker chrome... How thick is it compared to a Noveske?

Whootsinator
11-06-10, 23:20
Im not a metallurgist but how is it possible to have two pieces of metal with the same alloy but different densities? Aren't they noncompressible?

If anyone can confirm this, I like learning and I don't mind being wrong. It's just what I read recently on this forum. If it was TOS I wouldn't be so quick to repeat information 'that I heard a few days ago', but I usually don't have to worry about being fed wrong information here. I don't recall the thread, unfortunately.

Robb Jensen
11-07-10, 04:08
Absolutely. I probably should have specified that I was talking about erosion of the chrome lining at the throat being the main limitation on the life of a barrel, not along the whole bore...

I did not know that BCM BFH have thicker chrome... How thick is it compared to a Noveske?

Same.