PDA

View Full Version : el cheapo magazines for a Glock

platoonDaddy
11-06-10, 17:23
Want to purchase el cheapo magazines for "snap cap" practice for my Glock. I keep my self-Defense, range & competition magazines loaded minus one, therefore don't want to mess with them.

Any recommendtions?

kaltesherz
11-06-10, 18:24
I've got half a dozen of the Korean G19 mags that CDNN carries that I use for range use / training only. So far in almost 1000 rounds they've been malfunction free... not bad for a 5.99 mag.

varoadking
11-06-10, 19:25
I have a dozen or more of the Korean G17 magazines from CDNN. Other than being hard to load up initially, they have been 100%...

Heavy Metal
11-06-10, 19:32
I have a dozen or more of the Korean G17 magazines from CDNN. Other than being hard to load up initially, they have been 100%...
They can be broken in with a Glock mag loading tool. When you get it loaded to 16(I never load to 17, it saves the spring and makes tac-loads easy), take th eloader and work the cartridge column up and down about 20 times. This will roll some of the mold flashing flat.

I also trimmed a bunch of flashing out of mine. I broke them down and oiled the spring too. The spring is carbon steel.

100% function for me too.

platoonDaddy
11-07-10, 04:46
Thanks for the info, just ordered CDNN G17 & G19 magazines and they had a special on shipping this weekend. Dang, great price!

They are 'red' and Asian Military, assume that is Korea.

again thanks for the info.

Pal
11-07-10, 10:59
Palmetto State Armory has some cheap mags also. I'm not certain, but they're probably asian made also since they're so inexpensive.

blksn955.o
11-07-10, 11:00
Another CDNN mag user her as well. No problems in 2 range visits with my G22.

They are non-drop mags. For the price I think I am going to take one to a belt sander. The asian non-drops look thicker and have a TON of drag compared to the 2 factory glock mags I have. I dont think much needs to be removed...if it ruins it...oh well $5 it was worth a shot.

Pal
11-07-10, 21:12
Educate me on the non-drop mags. I havn't seen one in person.

It just won't drop free when you hit the mag release? You have to pull on it to remove?

blksn955.o
11-07-10, 23:17
yes, you have to pull to remove. I sat down and measured and compared side by side along with inserting and removing the non-drops and the factory mags. From what I can tell is the plastic is ever so wider and has a LOT more drag causing it to be a non-drop. Everything else is the same. This is the reason I want to finely sand with a flat surfaced belt sander to remove a slight bit of this mags plastic and see if it will drop.

platoonDaddy
11-08-10, 04:24
This is the reason I want to finely sand with a flat surfaced belt sander to remove a slight bit of this mags plastic and see if it will drop.

Please keep us posted on your venture and provide some pictures of your finished product highlighting the area you sanded.

TY44934
11-08-10, 08:21
Educate me on the non-drop mags. I havn't seen one in person.

It just won't drop free when you hit the mag release? You have to pull on it to remove?

FACTORY ORIGINAL Glock mags were once "non drop free" and they were intentionally designed that way by Glock himself.

The rationale was: if the mag release on an officer's gun were accidentally activated, the non-drop free feature would retain the magazine in the gun.

Another European maker, CZ of the Czech Republic, actually installs a mechanical device on their standard CZ-75B pistols to intentionally keep the mag from dropping free (though my sports-oriented CZ-85 Combat does not have it & mags drop free for USPSA/ispc use).

For range use, I have 3 Korean G19 mags (KBI I believe) that I just vetted. Fine quality product; excellent price. I carry recent-production Glock brand mags for CCW.

kaltesherz
11-08-10, 09:33
FYI all of my G19 KBI (Korean) mags are drop-free

blksn955.o
11-08-10, 14:56
Please keep us posted on your venture and provide some pictures of your finished product highlighting the area you sanded.

I actually had the day off today as I need to burn up some vacation time before the end of the year. I spent about 15-20min sanding the non-drop free mag. I forgot I had a 80grit belt on the sander so I just used a sanding block and 100 grit and did it by hand.

I sanded every side except the numbered rear portion of the mag. I first matched up were the mag was dragging compared to the factory Glock mags. Most of the drag is was in the upper 1/4 of the mag and the wider left/right sides to the rear (were the round capacity numbers are) on the 3 sides I sanded. I counted to 30-40 each time I sanded a side and went in to check the drag/clearance. It took about 3-4 30-40 count sessions to get enough for it to drop. Again most of the sanding needed was the top

If you want to see what I am talking about and your own mags. I took a flashlight and with one hand held it with the slide open (lighting up the magwell in the grip). With the other I put just the top 1/4 of the factory mag and noticed were the light was showing threw and noticed the amount of light/room side to side. With the non-drop free mags you will notice a LOT less light as the tolerance is a lot tighter.

The mag does now drop free. It does not shoot out like a factory mag but if I wanted to I could sand some more and get that result. It drops free totally out of the gun smoothly just not as fast. If anything one can customize the mag to their own taste. $5 mag and 15-20 min of light sanding = drop mag.

I will get some pics up in a few...I have to track down my photobucket acct info

blksn955.o
11-08-10, 15:21
Here are the pics.

This pic shows the front or furthest forward face of the mag. You can see the sanding needed lower is really not that much. The sanding needed around the mag catch as the plastic was a bit thicker than factory Glock Mags.
http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv84/2horse/Mag4.jpg?t=1289251427

You can see the molding line at the rear (bottom in pic) of the mag tappers away due to the amount of sanding needed to have more clearance.
http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv84/2horse/Mag3.jpg?t=1289250810

This is the other side of the mag (side with mag catch). Again the area around the mag catch was the major culprit.
http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv84/2horse/Mag2.jpg?t=1289251061

platoonDaddy
11-08-10, 15:54
Here are the pics.

This pic shows the front or furthest forward face of the mag. You can see the sanding needed lower is really not that much. The sanding needed around the mag catch as the plastic was a bit thicker than factory Glock Mags.

Dang, this site is amazing and stacked with the "Pros from Dover"! Great pictures and professional explanation on your labors.

Thank you very much.

Dang, what a great site.

OUT

blksn955.o
11-08-10, 16:03
No problem and thanks for the compliment.

I am just glad to contribute to this sites knowledge base in some way.

EzGoingKev
11-08-10, 17:31
I ordered four of them yesterday to use as range mags.

You can't beat the $6 a mag price.

Heavy Metal
11-08-10, 18:12
The Glock 17 KCI ags have dropped free just fine for me.

blksn955.o
11-08-10, 18:26
The "asian" mags I purchased from CDNN say "American Tactical" on the mag base.

skyugo
11-09-10, 00:16
all my KCI mags have busted up floorplates from a few drops to the deck (seriously, like 5 drops)
i think i've stepped on most of my glock mags or kicked them across the floor in comps and they're all perfect still..

for an extra 10 bucks.... i'd rather just have good mags. :confused:

Moose-Knuckle
11-09-10, 19:06
Back in September a local gun shop had a end of summer sale. Bought ten each G17 and G19 mags for $15 a pop. Those with all the ones I hoarded after AWB sunset in '04 I just can't justify buying the Korean mags.