PDA

View Full Version : ~!~ First AR came in yesterday~!~

v3n0m
11-06-10, 19:03
Hi all, new to the forum. Ive been wanting an ar15 for quite some time now but just couldnt see dishing out the dough and get one. Recently, I decided it was time to bite the bullet. I did hours and hours of research looking for the best quality rifle for the money and ended up with a BCM Mid-16. I absolutely love every aspect of the rifle. Thanks to everyone whos ever posted anything about BCM on here because more than likely in my research Ive read what you had to say. My next step will be optics...im absolutely lost as of what I want, Im thinking maybe an eotech 512, but Id love to get some reccomendations from you guys. Most of my shooting will be inside of 100yrds, but id love to be able to go 200 on occasion. Im hearing the EO is only good inside 100 yards. Anyways, any help here would be awesome. Thanks again for all the bcm threads on this site, helped alot in my decision!!

mnoe82
11-06-10, 19:11
Congratulations on the purchase. You made a good choice. You'll hear a lot of people say to get used to shooting irons before you get an optic. I would agree with that thought. I'd spend as much as youre planning to spend on an optic in ammo first and go out and shoot your rifle, A LOT. Professional training will greatly help make you a better shooter.

I have very limited experience with EOtech optics, but I really like my Aimpoint H1. You will see many users on this site and others with the T1 or H1 on their rifles. Another popular choice are the 1-4x variable optics. When you start shopping for an optic, check out the optics thread for further information.

Welcome to the site.

Hmac
11-06-10, 19:19
The Eotech reticle uses a 1 MOA dot, so beyond 100 yards it's as capable as you are. You can add a 3x magnifier later on a flip-to-side mount if 200 yards is going to be a regular part of your shooting routine.

Rather than the 512, I think the OPMOD (http://www.opmod.com/products.html) is a lot more bang-for-buck. Rebate + a discount coupon (if you can find one) will get it for you under $400 (Optics Planet) (http://www.opticsplanet.net/l3-eotech-opmod-exps2-holographic-sights-limited-edition-red-dot-sights-exps2-0-opmod.html). The side-mounted buttons, raised base (for lower-third co-witness), short rail space, and 500 hour CR123 battery life makes it a pretty good deal IMHO.

eta: I have an Aimpoint T-1 on my SBR. Don't care for it that much and I just bought another Eotech to replace it.

v3n0m
11-06-10, 19:31
Thanks for the info, the main thing that draws me to the 512 is the price, Im trying to get (like my rifle) a great product for a reasonable price. Im gonna post something in the optics section here in a bit and see what kind of advice I get.

stifled
11-06-10, 19:43
With all the red dot sights I've tried, for longer shots at the range you can turn the intensity down which makes the dot smaller, or at least look smaller. How far a RDS is good for you will also depend mostly on your vision.

I have had no problems with my EOTech 512 but there are a lot of reports regarding problems with the battery compartments. The XPS line changed the direction the batteries go, but I guess batteries are not designed to take lateral stress and cheaper batteries are leaking after getting battered around for a while. Again, I've not had these problems with my optic, but it's enough to keep me on the Aimpoint bandwagon for new purchases; a cracked lithium battery is a very bad thing, especially anywhere near expensive equipment or your face. You can get a Comp M3 and a mount for not a lot more than an EOTech.

PdxMotoxer
11-06-10, 19:52
Congratz on your new rifle!!

my advice is get ammo then get more ammo.

As far as an optic i also looked into the EoTech but after looking through
one and it seemed "blurry" to me I found out that EoTech's retile
will appear blurry if you have astigmatism in you're eye.

I called "B.S." but turns out it is true and it even is on EoTech's web sight.
http://www.eotech-inc.com/technicalfaqs.php

That said just make sure you try one out before you drop down that kinda cash.

And have fun with you're new rifle and shoot it as much as you can.

Hmac
11-06-10, 19:55
I really wanted to like my T-1....just couldn't. The rare EXPS chance of buying a cheap CR123 and having it leak is IMHO a good bet against the certainty of a T-1 with a small-tube field of view, annoying internal reflections in some lighting conditions, and a 4 MOA dot that turns into a misshapen blob in a 3X magnifier. I do like the size and weight, and the battery life, though...just not enough to put me solidly in the Aimpoint camp. Having said that, I acknowledge that Aimpoints are well-made and very popular.

v3n0m
11-06-10, 20:06
Congratz on your new rifle!!

my advice is get ammo then get more ammo.

As far as an optic i also looked into the EoTech but after looking through
one and it seemed "blurry" to me I found out that EoTech's retile
will appear blurry if you have astigmatism in you're eye.

I called "B.S." but turns out it is true and it even is on EoTech's web sight.
http://www.eotech-inc.com/technicalfaqs.php

That said just make sure you try one out before you drop down that kinda cash.

And have fun with you're new rifle and shoot it as much as you can.

LOL great advice with the ammo thing, Ive only had it a day and wow....that thing really chews up some rounds!!! Also, I have astigmatism so thats something to look into, Thank You

PdxMotoxer
11-07-10, 16:58
Right On...
I'm not saying everyone with astigmatism will have "issues" with the EoTech Hologram but i did and it is a common enough issue that they did put it on their F.A.Q. as being a known issue.

That said **putting on flame retardant suit** my AR is just a plinker
and i do not plan on jumping out of a helicopter or scuba diving with it
so i went the way of an aimpoint knockoff.
Primary Arms Multi-Reticle m3 style red dot
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/PdxMotoXer/resized1-1.jpg
and have had no issues. and it has held zero.

I did switch to the Primary Arms (Gen3) Micro Dot (back then they were so cheap and he had a tough time keeping them in stock, so i bought one of each)
For me i like the look of the M3 style knockoff but love the use of the micro dot knock off. (was kinda a bitch getting it dead on BUT it has held zero for almost 1,000 rds)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/PdxMotoXer/PA_Optics.jpg

With Kill Flash on
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/PdxMotoXer/PA_OpticsKillFlash.jpg

Sure if i had a ton of extra cash i would go aimpoint BUT being i got both these optics with mounts for $160
and they fit MY need, I'm a happy camper.

(just throwing this out there if you didn't know about Primary Arms)

Again... Good Luck and happy shooting.

**Added if anyone has ANY questions feel free to P.M. me as not to HiJack the O.P.'s thread**

Vamped
11-07-10, 18:15
As long as your happy, thats all that counts.......I almost bought a Primary Arms red dot for my beater AR, ended up getting a deal on a T1 instead.

Mac5.56
11-07-10, 20:03
Great gun, get out there and shoot the shit out of it!

As for Eotech I struggled with which optic for over a year and a half, and even started an eotech question thread on this forum regarding all the flak they get from time to time online. But ultimately I went with the Eotech. And I have a stigmatism with no problems.

Congrats on your buy!!!

Jake Bauer
11-07-10, 23:28
Great score. My 512 is awesome!

SWATcop556
11-08-10, 01:33
Congrats on the new rifle and you made an excellent well informed choice.

In re: to the optic I would recommend you try to find different examples locally and at least get some hands on time with each. I personally only run Aimpoints (T1's) for an RDS. I had several earlier gen EOturds shit the bed. That plus a battery life that doesn't even touch the Aimpoint I've stayed with the Aimpoints and haven't looked back.

That being said I have heard good reviews from people I respect re: the newer EOthingys and I'm willing to give them another look but it won't be on a social rifle until I'M satisfied in its durability. I've had a T1 that has been on setting 8 since roughly July '08 without being turned off.

Also knock off optics belong on airsoft. You get what you pay for. Buy a knock off and it shits the bed. Then you have to replace it when spending a little more up front would actually have saved you money.