PDA

View Full Version : Earlier M&P9c Issues?

556A2
11-06-10, 20:41
Couldn't find what I was looking for in search.

I picked up a LN/EX M&P9c for my mother. I think it was old new stock because it looked nearly new, and the previous owner didn't really care for it. Only 50 rounds through it (and it looks like it).

The serial number is MPT86xx, and the fired casings had a 7-07 date.

My question is with a earlier M&Pc, what/are there any issues that I should know about?

FWIW, she picked it over a G19 I had got for her. Found it easier to manipulate the slide & magazine release. Plus she liked the interchangeable backstrap. Didn't have enough time to hit the range today, but probably will next weekend.

I was pretty impressed with the M&P....... but I think I'll still stick to 9mm Glocks.

MichaelD
11-06-10, 21:30
7-07 test fire, eh? Potentially it's affected by the mag catch issue and the striker is prone to breakage during heavy, no-snap-cap-use dryfire.

Even if S&W won't cover it because you're the second owner, $35 in parts will fix both issues.

M4arc
11-07-10, 20:24
As MichaelD said they could have an issue with the mag catch and dropping mags during firing.

Also, the compacts had reported feeding issues so test it with your defensive round (same thing you do with any pistol) before trusting it.

Beat Trash
11-08-10, 13:05
I'd call S&W. Give them the serial number and ask if it's in need of the updated mag catch. If so, you could most likely talk them out of an new one. Changing one is very easy.

Other than that, I'd test fire it with the carry ammunition. But then, I would do that with any gun I would buy, no matter who made it.