PDA

View Full Version : Would like opinions between a Recce and fixed FSB

Eurodriver
11-06-10, 21:45
I really can't decide which to get. Ive finally got money, I've finished all my other projects and the last thing I have left is an LMT lower with magpul furniture without an upper. This is going to be my absolute 100% top tier gun. Everything on this weapon is top teir, from the optic to the laser to the flash suppressor to the buttstock...everything. All thats left is the upper assembly. Priority #1 in this rifle is accuracy, priority #2 is durability (not to be confused with reliability. I don't want to break something if I drop it)

I still haven't decided between BCM or Noveske but thats like choosing between BMW and Mercedes so that point is moot.

The optic is an 4x ACOG. So the magnification will blur out most of any front sight anyway. I guess its just preference at this point. Anyone want to share their opinions? I like the idea of a pinned gas block, but isn't the trade off of a recce that the recces' gas block is protected by the rails?

Fixed FSB
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-BFH-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-LaRue-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20lt9.htm

Recce
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-BFH-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-LaRue-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20lt12.htm

Eurodriver
11-06-10, 21:49
I think I've settled on the 16" Light Recce FSR from Noveske, but I'd still enjoy reading pros/cons of recces and fixed FSBs.

bkb0000
11-06-10, 22:04
"true" recces have fixed fsbs.. so i'm assuming you're talking about the difference between FSB and low-profile...

there's been no shortage of discussion on the merits of either system... obviously the fixed FSB is a much more fail-proof system. it's also a wee bit heavier, and a wee bit of an obstruction for magnified optics. ACOGs are about as ideal as you're gonna get for a gun with an FSB, however.. so your optic choice really nullifies that.

flip a coin

dennisuello
11-06-10, 22:31
I like the idea of a pinned gas block, but isn't the trade off of a recce that the recces' gas block is protected by the rails?

You can have the low-profile gas block pinned just as easy.

sproc
11-09-10, 16:46
Low profile allows more flexibility in mounting a light (e.g., at 12 o'clock), if that's important to you.

Since your #1 priority is precision, have you considered the stainless offerings from Noveske and BCM?

Belmont31R
11-09-10, 17:00
I prefer flip up sights. Ive had a couple regular FSB's somehow bend the sight post. Even had one in a pelican case, took it out, and the sight post was smashed over next to one of the ears. Ive never had an issue with damage with flip down sights. Lots of people seem to claim a regular FSB being most durable but Ive not found that to be true. Especially if you get something like a URX II where the front sight is tucked down into the rail when not in use.

You can get a pinned lo-pro gas block, and with a lo-pro GB it allows for a longer rail. That allows you to get your support hand out further, a bi-pod if you use one, the light gets out further (less barrel shadow), ect.

The downside to going to a lo-pro GB with a fold down sight is that it ends up costing a bit more.

NickW
11-10-10, 06:36
I've owned both. Larue DMR upper w/fixed fsb and flat top. I also run a straight colt w/fsb at work (issued). My theory is if going with aimpoint type optic, I go fixed front sight and rear flip or fixed (prefer fixed). No transition time if optic fails. BUIS are right there already up. If going with magnified optic then I recommend flip front and rear. Hope this helps.
Nick-

11B101ABN
11-10-10, 08:22
I've owned both. Larue DMR upper w/fixed fsb and flat top. I also run a straight colt w/fsb at work (issued). My theory is if going with aimpoint type optic, I go fixed front sight and rear flip or fixed (prefer fixed). No transition time if optic fails. BUIS are right there already up. If going with magnified optic then I recommend flip front and rear. Hope this helps.
Nick-

Dang. Beat me to it.

I agree w/ this. I would differ only in that if it is going gto be a work gun, I tend to recommend fixed front and rear. Simply because of the "at the ready" factor. Although it's not a necessity.

Good luck. Sounds like it's going to be fun.

jasonhgross
11-10-10, 08:37
On a related note, if you are going recce low pro and BCM, consider the RIS II. I just got mine (on a BCM Mid-length BFH) and its awesome, plus it gives you a continuous rail. Not a knock on Larue products, all my mounts are from them, but I think the DD RIS II is amazing. I plan on switching my 6920 from the DD lite rail 7.0 to the RIS II in the next 6 months.

DSZM4
11-10-10, 09:39
I don't think I would be so quick to call a FSB stronger a lot of the ones I have bought were not even heat treated (under 20 on c) at all and a file catchs too easy. The metal Colt is using, is I beleive 1145 and all the forgings I have seen, use that metal but it seems most people skip the heat treat for that parts. I'm not sure if this is what Colt does but I know its what a lot of US comm. companies do. So IDK I do know that the print calls for heat treat.

On the other side 7075 or 4140 bolt on sights are heat treated or tempered if 7075.

I did in fact work on the procurment side of the AR market. So while I have not seen all parts I have seen a lot of them.

VelveteenMole
11-10-10, 10:33
Dang. Beat me to it.

I agree w/ this. I would differ only in that if it is going gto be a work gun, I tend to recommend fixed front and rear. Simply because of the "at the ready" factor. Although it's not a necessity.

Good luck. Sounds like it's going to be fun.

I get the fixed rear benefit in theory, but it also kinda clutters the view further and prevents use of a FTS magnifier. I figure if you can still see through the optic and you're close enough to not have a second to pop the rear BUIS up, then you can use the RDS tube as a ghost ring accurately enough.

If you're too far to make that work then you can probably take the second to hit the button on the BUIS. If the optic is obscured you've gotta rip it off the gun anyway to use the irons so you're already fumbling around around up there and you should probably be going for cover or behind it to do so.

Just my 2cents.
YMMV