PDA

View Full Version : Best (cheapest) place to buy a Sig?

Mo_Zam_Beek
11-06-10, 23:20
My wife has decided that a SIG 226 fits her hand best and has the features she wants.

Where is the best place to pick up a new copy?

TIA

MarkG
11-06-10, 23:24
How about a SIG dealer in your hometown?

Mo_Zam_Beek
11-06-10, 23:27
I live in the sticks.

Even on GB I see them listed for at least $100 less than what I can find locally.

Also the locals have one model only.

Good luck

kmrtnsn
11-06-10, 23:29
"My wife has decided that a SIG 226 fits her hand best and has the features she wants. "

Seriously? Has she shot it or just held it? My wife has carried a P228 for 12 years and had to have the reduced reach trigger installed and grip tape put on the front strap. I've carried the P228 and several P229 variants and find that it fits my hand but I would prefer something smaller. I hope that the new grips are an improvement for the SIGs, If she has her heart set on one find the largest LE dealer near you to get the best price.

ucrt
11-06-10, 23:55
Find out where police trade in are? The Louisiana State Police went to Glocks last year and trades in a pile of SIG P220 and P226, some looked new.

I'm sure other department in other states are doing the same.

kmrtnsn
11-07-10, 00:45
Find out where police trade in are? The Louisiana State Police went to Glocks last year and trades in a pile of SIG P220 and P226, some looked new.

I'm sure other department in other states are doing the same.

Seems all the departments are dumping their SIG's, I hope we are next!!

ccrn_csc
11-07-10, 01:22
My wife has decided that a SIG 226 fits her hand best and has the features she wants.

TIA

summitgunbroker

His web site cannot post prices anymore, but his are all new and he is a good guy to deal with.

doughnut
11-07-10, 04:50
summitgunbroker

His web site cannot post prices anymore, but his are all new and he is a good guy to deal with.

+1, he usually has plenty of used police trade-ins. I've never purchased from him but his communication is A+.

Entropy
11-07-10, 07:32

TIA

Just curious, what is her intended use? I find it unusual that a woman would go for the P226 unless she was required to use it as a duty pistol. For competition use, there are better choices.......for home defense, there are better choices......for concealed carry, there are better choices. If she insists on a P226, I suggest getting a pre 2005 model. Post 2005 models are hit or miss when it comes to reliability and durability. A stamped slide P226 made in W. Germany is a winner. Much better made, and much more durable.

Having carried on duty, and worked on Sigs for about a decade now I know a LOT about Sigs.

Entropy
11-07-10, 07:34
I've carried the P228 and several P229 variants and find that it fits my hand but I would prefer something smaller. I hope that the new grips are an improvement for the SIGs, If she has her heart set on one find the largest LE dealer near you to get the best price.

The E2 grips are pretty nice. They are a big improvement in trigger reach, and just overall feel of the gun. Grip screws have always been a weakness of the Sig design, and I'm glad that Sig has finally come up with a solution for the issue.

Bulldog7972
11-07-10, 09:00
Seems all the departments are dumping their SIG's, I hope we are next!!

Why are you hoping for that?

kmrtnsn
11-07-10, 09:15
We hate our SIG's. P229DAK's; the worst trigger system ever, piss-poor quality control.

SeriousStudent
11-07-10, 09:17
+1, he usually has plenty of used police trade-ins. I've never purchased from him but his communication is A+.

Another plus one for Mark at Summit Gun Broker. I have purchased five pistols from him, and been very happy with all of them. The condition has always been better than stated, and the price is very fair.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html

No business interest in his company, just a satisfied customer.

Jeff at SAW also carried CPO Sigs. Frankly, I would not buy a new Sig, I'd go for an old West German one that has been reconditioned at the factory. The Certified Pre-Owned Sig's are an excellent value for the money.

He's at www.sawguns.com. I bought a nice CPO 226 from him a couple of years ago, I think it was $450? Came with two factory mags, too. Look for the ones in the red box, they are a CPO. I have bought guns from Jeff, and been very happy with the service and price.

Good luck. The older Sig 226 are nice guns - boringly reliable. :)

SeriousStudent
11-07-10, 09:19
We hate our SIG's. P229DAK's; the worst trigger system ever, piss-poor quality control.

Exactly, there's way too many horror stories out there about the current production Sig's. It baffles me how bean counters can let stuff like that become a risk to officer safety. :(

Stay safe, I hope your admin folks get that straightened out.

Entropy
11-07-10, 09:33
Exactly, there's way too many horror stories out there about the current production Sig's. It baffles me how bean counters can let stuff like that become a risk to officer safety. :(

Stay safe, I hope your admin folks get that straightened out.

There's nothing really "wrong" with the DAK(Double Action Kellerman), other than using a double action system impedes good shooting performance. However, since Ron Cohen took over operations in 2005, Sig quality control has gone downhill. Pre 2005, Sig had the same reputation for reliability, durability, and performance that H&K commands. You could buy a Sig at that time and know for sure that it would be ready for combat right out of the box. Today, I would put Sig Sauer at the same level as Ruger or Taurus. Average, but not top tier.

kmrtnsn
11-07-10, 10:02
There's nothing really "wrong" with the DAK(Double Action Kellerman), other than using a double action system impedes good shooting performance. However, since Ron Cohen took over operations in 2005, Sig quality control has gone downhill. Pre 2005, Sig had the same reputation for reliability, durability, and performance that H&K commands. You could buy a Sig at that time and know for sure that it would be ready for combat right out of the box. Today, I would put Sig Sauer at the same level as Ruger or Taurus. Average, but not top tier.

I went from the LEM trigger group to DAK and would argue that there is a lot "wrong" with having a trigger system with two resets and two different trigger pulls in a LE handgun. The DAK requires a lot of training, which equates to a lot of ammo. As far as SIG QC, we are in complete agreement.

Back to the OP's question and choice, as a male with small hands (size 9 flight gloves) who is issued a SIG married to a diminutive LE Female also issued a SIG my experience forces me to question the selection of a P226 as a "good fit" for the OP's SO. Hopefully he will get back to us on whether she has actually shot the P226 or has just handled one. I agree with the other posters, there are much better choices out there for her.

odiesplace
11-07-10, 10:16
Have you checked with JC weaponry, he's at most of the expo shows and usally has good prices. Top gun supply is another good source

azsheepdog
11-07-10, 10:26
I went from the LEM trigger group to DAK and would argue that there is a lot "wrong" with having a trigger system with two resets and two different trigger pulls in a LE handgun. The DAK requires a lot of training, which equates to a lot of ammo. As far as SIG QC, we are in complete agreement.

Back to the OP's question and choice, as a male with small hands (size 9 flight gloves) who is issued a SIG married to a diminutive LE Female also issued a SIG my experience forces me to question the selection of a P226 as a "good fit" for the OP's SO. Hopefully he will get back to us on whether she has actually shot the P226 or has just handled one. I agree with the other posters, there are much better choices out there for her.

I am assuming you work for the same agency that I do...but I had a Glock 19 before they took it back and gave me the Sig 229 DAK. I hear rumors that NFTTU is looking at other pistols, but I think that is just wishful thinking by other HSI agents....

Entropy
11-07-10, 11:05
I am assuming you work for the same agency that I do...but I had a Glock 19 before they took it back and gave me the Sig 229 DAK. I hear rumors that NFTTU is looking at other pistols, but I think that is just wishful thinking by other HSI agents....

Hopefully you guys can get a different duty pistol. I do agree that the DAK is a solution in search of a problem......in fact it CREATES a problem. If I were choosing a new procurement contract for my agency, I would either piggyback onto the ATF contract for Glocks or M&Ps, or the BP/CBP contract for H&Ks. If Sigs were still being made like they were during the 2004 DHS trials, I would urge us to keep using the classic Sig line.

azsheepdog
11-07-10, 16:38
The "trial era" Sigs were good to go. The DAK triggers then even were decent but still "odd." What surprised me was that the normal profile Sig trigger was better in the DAKs than the short profile trigger in the DAK. Of course, DHS decided to specify guns with short trigger. There is something about the geometry of the short trigger/DAK combo that makes it a harder gun to shoot. It's hard to explain, but it's there none the less. When you add that to the QC problems of the last few years, it makes me sad and misty eyed for my old issued trusty beautiful Glock 19. I loved that pistol...

In other news...CBP/Air and Marine are said to be dumping their HKs for Glocks citing rust problems as the reason.

kmrtnsn
11-07-10, 17:19
"In other news...CBP/Air and Marine are said to be dumping their HKs for Glocks citing rust problems as the reason. "

Not true. The particular incident has reached epic myth status. The particular boat crew weapons were not maintained and were neglected to the point of abuse. Experienced Customs crews knew how to care for their toys when working in the Keys, post merger transferees were aplying land POE standards to a hostile marine environment and it didn't work.

azsheepdog
11-07-10, 17:30
Does the HK rust easily? After the merger, I managed to get a USPc issued to me in addition to my G19 and had no problems with it. The finish seemed pretty durable. I liked it and would have been fine with me if that became the standard issue instead of the DAK. I liked the Glock better, but that HK was a great pistol. The LEM trigger was nice.

variablebinary
11-07-10, 17:47

TIA

Are you sure you want a SIG? Think twice

If you're serious, find a 100% German made SIG, like the current batch of 228R models and some older used ones.

kmrtnsn
11-07-10, 17:49
I have had five HK's, all in .40S&W; a FS HK USP DA/SA, two issued USPc's LEM, a POW USPc LEM, and my P2000SK V2. It takes a lot of neglect to induce corrosion.

As for SIG corrosion, the levers wear their finish off quickly and corrode easily, especially when worn against the skin, concealed. The grip screws, if not the stainless Torx screws corrode just as fast, as does the hollow guide rod, however, the solid stainless or the new plastic guide rods are fine. SIG mags will rust up quickly too if not cared for.