PDA

View Full Version : How heavy is the Troy BattleRail MRF-C 7"

SickMAK90
11-07-10, 01:11
I am looking for a free floated rail for my 14.5'' BCM and this Troy rail has caught my eye. I know they are not the lightest rails out there, but how much heavier is it than a DD omega 7.0? Troy is claiming it only adds 4oz to a "M4". So I assume it weighs 4 more oz than a set of double heat shield m4 hand guards + the delta ring assembly?

I am trying to decide if the DD omega is really worth an extra 100$ over the Troy. I have got to fondle some Troy drop ins and they seemed to be excellent quality and fairly light.

Whootsinator
11-07-10, 01:21
I am looking for a free floated rail for my 14.5'' BCM and this Troy rail has caught my eye. I know they are not the lightest rails out there, but how much heavier is it than a DD omega 7.0? Troy is claiming it only adds 4oz to a "M4". So I assume it weighs 4 more oz than a set of double heat shield m4 hand guards + the delta ring assembly?

I am trying to decide if the DD omega is really worth an extra 100$ over the Troy. I have got to fondle some Troy drop ins and they seemed to be excellent quality and fairly light.

Troy may also be taking into consideration removing a standard pinned FSB and retainer used with A2 hand guards.

709bubblehead
11-07-10, 09:30
I've got the Troy Battle Rail on my M4gery. It's a quality piece and it was lighter than I expected. The hardest part of the install was cutting off the delta ring. As for the weight, I would think your assumption is correct. The retainer behind the fsb is not removed btw, just the delta ring, spring and snap ring...

ztf HITMAN
11-07-10, 14:39
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html

This may help you.:big_boss:

ztf HITMAN
11-07-10, 14:40
BTW, I have an MRF-M9 on my middy and I am quite content with it.

ra2bach
11-07-10, 17:06

well, which do you want FF or drop-in?

if I was going for a drop-in, the ONLY rail I would consider is the Magpul MOE. the rest seem like a waste of money and good aluminum...

if yo want a FF, the MRF rails are heavy but the are hell-for-stout. I've got a 9" on a BCM middy and I was pounding some fence posts in with it the other day... J/K :D

on a carbine gas (7") I don't think the weight difference is going to be a big concern but the other lighter rails are ver-r-r-r-ry nice. you pays your money and you takes your choice...

now if it was me, on a carbine gas gun, I'd chop off that FSB and mount an 11 or 12 inch FF rail over it and stick a Daniel Defense sight up there. but that's just me...

SickMAK90
11-07-10, 22:38
I have considered running a longer rail many times, but I'm not into that Magpul style shooting. I have had some shoulder injuries in the past (especially my right one) and it just feels uncomfortable.

This rifle has a pinned FH as well, so I really don't want to chop the FSB off this one. I plan on running an 11'' TRX extreme on my next build. Which will likely be a 16''spikes.

That chart REALLY helps out. I appreciate it greatly. Now the 100$ question is....is a DD worth 100$ more than the Troy because it is 2.90oz less? I think not.

I have seen a lot of people complain a lot about YHM rails...their light rail isn't that heavy at all.

ra2bach
11-08-10, 19:47
I have considered running a longer rail many times, but I'm not into that Magpul style shooting. I have had some shoulder injuries in the past (especially my right one) and it just feels uncomfortable.

This rifle has a pinned FH as well, so I really don't want to chop the FSB off this one. I plan on running an 11'' TRX extreme on my next build. Which will likely be a 16''spikes.

That chart REALLY helps out. I appreciate it greatly. Now the 100$ question is....is a DD worth 100$ more than the Troy because it is 2.90oz less? I think not.

I have seen a lot of people complain a lot about YHM rails...their light rail isn't that heavy at all.

you don't have to do that Magpul style to appreciate a longer rail. I started out shooting a 20" rifle and the first thing I noticed when I got a CAR was, "hey, where does my support hand go?" too limiting for me...

ArmySGTPM
11-23-10, 20:55
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html

This may help you.:big_boss:

Great resource thanks!

but I am confused by it...was just on Troys website, and it says the 12" MRF battle rail and i quote "Adds only 8.75 oz to weight of M16."
http://troyind.com/%20/battlerails/troy-battlerail-mrf-r-12

According the the spread sheet it list the 12 inch as weighing in at 20.74 oz

Am i missing something here?

ztf HITMAN
11-26-10, 16:27
"**Weight includes 2.3 oz for stock barrel nut and handguard cap which remain"

I guess that would put the actual weight of the MRF-R-12 ~ 18 oz. or so. But 12" of Aluminum is considerably more than 7".

ArmySGTPM
11-26-10, 17:49
"**Weight includes 2.3 oz for stock barrel nut and handguard cap which remain"

I guess that would put the actual weight of the MRF-R-12 ~ 18 oz. or so. But 12" of Aluminum is considerably more than 7".

Yeah I get that....just dont get where Troys website gets their added weight estimate

ztf HITMAN
11-26-10, 18:48
Maybe we'd have to figure out the weight of the standard rifle handguards/heatshields.
Have you pulled the trigger on the MRF 7?

I'm quite happy with the MRF 9 that I've installed on my middy.
Sacrifice a little weight, but I don't plan on loading my Carbine with too many accessories.

Deaj
11-26-10, 18:50
I have a S&W M&P15T that came equipped from the factory with a 10" Troy MRF free float rail. It's not the lightest rail available but I find that the weapon balances nicely and the rail is SOLID. I only run a tac light, Troy folding front sight, and ladder covers normally along with an EOtech 512 and a Troy folding rear sight so I'm not loading the front end up with weight. I've tried several rail covers and ladders provide the most positive grip for me. This is a good thing because the overall diameter of the MRF with covers like Magpul XTM's is a bit large for my small'ish hands. If XTM's worked well for me I'd likely want a quad rail forend with smaller height/width dimensions. I occasionally swap the EOtech and light for a 4-16x scope and a Harris bipod - a config that affects the balance but then this is a more stationary shooting configuration and seems appropriately balanced for its intended use. I'm completely satisfied with the MRF for my use.