PDA

View Full Version : BCM Carrier. What is this divot?

panzerr
11-07-10, 10:25
I just got this carrier from BCM and noticed the depression in the photo below. It is very shallow, but immediately noticeable when looking at the left side of the carrier. Does this serve some sort of gee whiz purpose or is this a 'whoops'?

http://sixty-six.org/x_drive/bcm_bolt.jpg

Hmac
11-07-10, 10:32
I don't know what that is, but my BCM carrier doesn't have it. Consider emailing the photo to BCM and asking them.

rushca01
11-07-10, 10:42
I just got this carrier from BCM and noticed the depression in the photo below. It is very shallow, but immediately noticeable when looking at the left side of the carrier. Does this serve some sort of gee whiz purpose or is this a 'whoops'?

http://sixty-six.org/x_drive/bcm_bolt.jpg

I have heard that BCM get's their carriers from FN. FN marks their carriers and BCM has to remove the stamp before they can sell it. This is what I have heard and is probably internet rumor.

DJ_Skinny
11-07-10, 10:59
^That's interesting. My BCM carrier definitely does not have that either.

Sanpete
11-07-10, 11:12
Does this serve some sort of gee whiz purpose or is this a 'whoops'?

Likely neither. My guess is a simple identification mark, but I don't really know.

jklaughrey
11-07-10, 11:14
I have 3 BCM BCG and none of mine have this mark.

KentuckyWindage
11-07-10, 11:28
My BCM doesn't have that either.

Darkop
11-07-10, 11:37
I have heard that BCM get's their carriers from FN. FN marks their carriers and BCM has to remove the stamp before they can sell it. This is what I have heard and is probably internet rumor.

Several of mine have this indentation and an "N" assumed for Noveske. Don't know where Noveske gets their BCG's

until that day,
Darkop

bkb0000
11-07-10, 11:39
it is, as somebody else said, a removed stamp. my guess would be that FN removes them on overstock and throws them in the sub-contract pile when they have too many, or run short on an order. there's nothing wrong with the dimple- please don't be one of those douchebags that makes an issue out of something that's utterly inconsequential.

AMMOTECH
11-07-10, 11:52

Not sure who makes their carriers but a mark was removed from that spot. Some have them some don't. Bravo Company had a post about it at some point on TOS. You can always fire off an E-mail to them an ask.

ADCTD2SHOOTING
11-07-10, 11:59
Just my opinion but that looks like a clearance groove similar to what POF was putting on their DI carriers to accommodate the roller bearing cam pin they were using.

709bubblehead
11-07-10, 12:17
I just took a look at my BCM bcg, no divot here...

Cagemonkey
11-07-10, 12:18
The BCG's that Grant sold had these dimple marks on them. I'd go with what BKB said.

panzerr
11-07-10, 12:34
Just my opinion but that looks like a clearance groove similar to what POF was putting on their DI carriers to accommodate the roller bearing cam pin they were using.

That was my first thought too.

I paid $200 for this ion bonded BCG. For that price I would anticipate the product to be blemish-free, regardless of whether or not the blemish affects its functionality. I got a blem lower from Noveske for free when I bought an upper, and it took some seriously hard looking to find it!

AMMOTECH
11-07-10, 13:08
It not a blemish. If they would have left a "C" or "F" or some other mark on there people would have been all over that too.
Just lube, install and enjoy shooting it.

panzerr
11-07-10, 13:15
It not a blemish. If they would have left a "C" or "F" or some other mark on there people would have been all over that too.
Just lube, install and enjoy shooting it.

That's the plan, man. Thanks for the insight, all.

Skang
11-07-10, 13:16
Some may think its not a big deal. but,When you get something you are not expecting id worry or paranoid too :D

You should have e mail that picture to where ever you bought from.
And post thread how it went.

ryu_sekai
11-07-10, 14:05
Paul said those are Government Carriers so they had to remove the marking.

kartoffel
11-07-10, 14:30
My spare BCM carrier has the same divot. No big deal.

fivefivesix
11-07-10, 17:27
i was under the ASSumption bcm manufactured there carriers in house.

RAM Engineer
11-07-10, 18:31
i was under the ASSumption bcm manufactured there carriers in house.

I was under the ASSumption that BCM didn't actually manufacture anything, but just sourced quality components and assembled them. Do you really think BCM invested god knows how much money in a barrel hammer forge? Maybe they did, but it seems unlikely. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, though. Their quality and reputation speaks for itself.

rushca01
11-07-10, 19:01
I was under the ASSumption that BCM didn't actually manufacture anything, but just sourced quality components and assembled them. Do you really think BCM invested god knows how much money in a barrel hammer forge? Maybe they did, but it seems unlikely. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, though. Their quality and reputation speaks for itself.

Bravo Co has two "arms". A sales arm, Bravo Co USA, and a manufacturing arm, Bravo Co Mfg.

http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/default.asp

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

fivefivesix
11-07-10, 20:01

either way thats what i was trying to say they have great components. that was somthing i really didnt know about them. ive just always read on here they machined all there own parts. and daniel defense is about there size or smaller and they have there own hammer forging maching

Dirtyboy333
11-07-10, 22:00
me too

fivefivesix
11-07-10, 22:03
i now know too but from what ive read and the m in bcm ,bravo company manufacturing

RAM Engineer
11-07-10, 22:17
i now know too but from what ive read and the m in bcm ,bravo company manufacturing

It does. If I get a lower engraved and have it SBR'd, in the eyes of the ATF, I am now the "manufacturer" of that SBR.

Like I said, I don't know the actual capabilities of BCM, but Daniel Defense has been actually machining AR components for a lot longer than BCM has been around.

fivefivesix
11-07-10, 22:20
, but Daniel Defense has been actually machining AR components for a lot longer than BCM has been around.[/QUOTE]

man this site rocks. i didnt know that either. \that really does speak volumes about bcm though. since they seem to be more popular than dd. thanks ram for the insight

SWATcop556
11-08-10, 01:39
The manufacturer marks their carrier and its was removed. Nothing whiz bang or secrect about it. Paul puts out nothing but quality equipment and an email to him would have answered all questions.

LONGBOWAH
11-08-10, 11:29

BCM, by their own addmission, makes essentially nothing and does only "light machine work".

It would be nice to know who really made the major component, but irrelavant as long as they exhibit the quality they do.

panzerr
11-08-10, 11:50
BCM's short reply to my email:

"It is where the government markings have been removed."

That is all.

LONGBOWAH
11-08-10, 11:57
Bravo Co has two "arms". A sales arm, Bravo Co USA, and a manufacturing arm, Bravo Co Mfg.

http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/default.asp

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

The BCM site is a mirror/clone of the BCU site; difference is the BCM site only shows the BCM branded items..which are also on the other site.

Dirtyboy333
11-08-10, 23:59

That is all. Interesting. Well at least we know their from a gov. contractor...... On my bcm bolt i can see a smaller non-colored "MP" mark right next to the BCM "HP" "MP" gold marks. I wish i had some other bolts to compare the mark to but i only buy bcm bolts. :sarcastic:

SWATcop556
11-09-10, 01:53

That is all.

Thanks for posting Paul's response.

LONGBOWAH
11-12-10, 02:57

That is all.

Interesting (at least to me) as well is that the vendor who supplied BCM didn't remove the markings.

bkb0000
11-12-10, 10:10
Interesting (at least to me) as well is that the vendor who supplied BCM didn't remove the markings.

what makes you think they didnt?

Artiz
11-12-10, 10:11
For a moment I thought we were on AR15.com...

Robb Jensen
11-12-10, 10:25
BCM, by their own addmission, makes essentially nothing and does only "light machine work".

It would be nice to know who really made the major component, but irrelavant as long as they exhibit the quality they do.

VERY few companies actually make their own stuff. Colt for example....6920 = the holy grail of M4s. Yet Colt actually makes less than 10 parts on the 6920.

fivefivesix
11-12-10, 14:54
is there a way to find out who the makers are. im just curious

Artiz
11-12-10, 18:56

I think your best bet would be to ask the seller, but even then they probably can't differienciate plain BC's from one mfg to another. They pretty much all look the same, a few have that light divot shown here and this is probably the only way to figure out which mfg it was, but it's not like it was important... an M16 bolt carrier is an M16 bolt carrier and so on...

D. Christopher
11-12-10, 20:56

You could compare bolt carriers to see what government contractor (or subcontractor) stamps their carriers in this exact location.

markm
11-13-10, 09:01
For a moment I thought we were on AR15.com...

No sh1t! :rolleyes:

hunt_ak
07-03-11, 19:14
VERY few companies actually make their own stuff. Colt for example....6920 = the holy grail of M4s. Yet Colt actually makes less than 10 parts on the 6920.

After searching a good bit using the ORANGE search button, I cannot find info regarding who Colt sub-contracts through. Do you have this info and what Colt actually manufacturers themselves?