PDA

View Full Version : Which rail length for a middy?

JDW67
11-07-10, 11:04
I finally got enough funds to get a Midlength from Daniel Defense. I'm going with a 14.5 midlength and I have the choices of 9", 10" or 12" for the rail. The 9" has the FSP, the 10" and 12" does not.
I was originally going with the 9", but after seeing a few examples of the 10" and 12", I have to admit, I'm intrigued with those configuration.
Which rail length would you get and why?

TIA :)

ztf HITMAN
11-07-10, 13:09
I kept the 9" only because the FSB is virtually bomb-proof.

BAC
11-07-10, 13:18
I have longer arms, so when I reach out on the handguard of my basic 16" middy I find my fingers on the FSB and barrel all the time. For me, an 11" to 13" rail works the best. My next AR upper will be a 14.5" middy with a shaved FSB under an 11" handguard.

-B

Skang
11-07-10, 13:20
I like how long rail looks. like long enough to cover muzzle nut area.
I believe few companies make rail that let you keep front sight and go pass it.

JDW67
11-07-10, 15:24
This is the upper I'm considering:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/johnw91498/Ar15/_AMP6023.jpg

DHart
11-07-10, 15:44
I finally got enough funds to get a Midlength from Daniel Defense. I'm going with a 14.5 midlength and I have the choices of 9", 10" or 12" for the rail. The 9" has the FSP, the 10" and 12" does not.
I was originally going with the 9", but after seeing a few examples of the 10" and 12", I have to admit, I'm intrigued with those configuration.
Which rail length would you get and why?

TIA :)

Your arm length may well guide your decision... for myself, at 6'1" I have proportionately longish arms and feel that I get a better balanced hold with my support hand farther out front. I got my 14.5" middy with an 11" hand guard, which I like. I also like the somewhat longer sighting radius that I get with the longer hand guard. I would not like anything shorter. And while going to a 13" for me would be fine for reach and even longer sighting radius, it would add a little more weight, which I'm trying to work against. So for me, 11" seems to be a good happy medium for better reach and longer sighting radius, without increasing weight too much. I am temped to try the 13" VTAC as well, however, as the added weight isn't all THAT much. ;)

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/M4%20Rifles/BCM145_7966.jpg

ra2bach
11-07-10, 16:53

that's a 12 on a 14.5" middy?

JDW67
11-07-10, 17:01
that's a 12 on a 14.5" middy?

Yes, with a pinned YH51C.

DHart
11-07-10, 17:14
I have longer arms, so when I reach out on the handguard of my basic 16" middy I find my fingers on the FSB and barrel all the time. For me, an 11" to 13" rail works the best. My next AR upper will be a 14.5" middy with a shaved FSB under an 11" handguard.

-B

BAC... I like your concept of the shaved FSB under a longer hand guard. "Best of both worlds" approach, it seems to me. :) (Extra secure gas block with longer continuous hand guard).

BCM tells me that the screwed and high-temp thread lock approach which they take with their lo-pro gas block installation is extremely secure.... but likely not be not quite as secure as the pinned, shaved FSB.

Per BCM: "The gas block is installed with a dimple in the barrel, set screws, and high temp loc-tite. It will take some significant effort to remove. We heat it with MAP gas. Takes about 20 min."

Who knows, though, perhaps with a hot enough barrel from continuous shooting, even that may become unstable. Pinning is more confidence inspiring.

YVK
11-07-10, 17:15
I prefer a somewhat unpopular option - 10 inch rail with low-pro gas block. It doesn't cover gas block fully as 11 does, so it doesn't look as cool, which I presume is a reason for this being an infrequent choice. I have two middies set up this way, and I am quite happy.

A second part of question was "why":

1. It is true that arm length and type of stance will largely dictate length of handguard, but another part of equation is length/extension of stock. I do not shoot "nose-to-charging-handle", my stock is generally extended a few clicks, and 10 inch handguard is all I need. I am 6'1".
2. Since 10 inch is all I need, I don't see a reason to get longer, bulkier and heavier handguard, even though is looks cooler.
3. I don't like FSB as they, being gas blocks themselves, tend to get hot and, the way I hold my carbine, I've burned myself a couple of imes. If I were to run FSB, I'd use 9 inch handguard as it is sufficient for me.

DHart
11-07-10, 17:30
A second part of question was "why":

1. It is true that arm length and type of stance will largely dictate length of handguard, but another part of equation is length/extension of stock. I do not shoot "nose-to-charging-handle", my stock is generally extended a few clicks, and 10 inch handguard is all I need. I am 6'1".

YVK, good point on stock length. Like you, also at 6'1", I much prefer shooting with my ACS stock at or close to full-extention... and find the 11" hand guard about perfect length for me, with fully extended stock. And for me, a 13" hand guard is too far out there, ergonomically.

Certainly, each individual needs to find their own comfort zone in firearm fit.

OutlawDon
11-07-10, 17:50
For a middy, at least a 10" rail (to cover low profile gas block), but I prefer a longer 12" now.

Before and after with makeover that includes a longer 12" handguard rail. Mind you, mine's a carbine gas length, but I'm just showing you the relationship between barrel length and handguard length.

http://healthbydon.com/ar15wet.jpg

http://healthbydon.com/ar15burris1.jpg

DHart
11-07-10, 18:07
One more factor to consider is the relationship between end of weapon light and the muzzle (if you plan to run a weapon light). A longer hand guard can make it easier to minimize or eliminate the barrel shadow cast from use of a weapon light. For myself, the shadow has always bugged me and I like to position a weapon light close enough to the muzzle to eliminate the shadow. Your mileage may vary.

ra2bach
11-07-10, 20:09
Yes, with a pinned YH51C.

nice. light weight or govt profile?

fdxpilot
11-07-10, 20:33
I kept the 9" only because the FSB is virtually bomb-proof.

+1 ........ 9" DD rails on my BCM middie with the classic FSB.

JDW67
11-08-10, 10:57
nice. light weight or govt profile?

I held both at my local gun shop and I couldn't feel the difference in weight between the two.

So, I went with the govt profile.

wahoo95
11-08-10, 11:46
I like the 12" set up. This is my friends, but I just ordered two like the DD set up pictured previously....one with a Phantom and the other with a BattleComp 1.5.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/Random%20Pics/FacebookHomescreenImage1.jpg

mhanna91
11-08-10, 12:18

In theory, would this be approximately in perportion to the amount of a 16" barrel sticking out of 13.8" Troy MRF?