PDA

View Full Version : Direct impingement gas piston system question

DDKJR1814
11-07-10, 12:28
I'm looking for a reliable direct impingement gas piston system that will work with a Larue Tactical LT15-7. Carbine length.

I would prefer to not have to machine the LT15-7 to make the system work.

As for the front sight post I would prefer some sort of low profile gas block with the system, but it is not a must.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Eric D.
11-07-10, 16:34
direct impingement and gas piston are two different gas-driven systems

DDKJR1814
11-07-10, 17:30
To clarify its gas piston that I am looking for.

ryu_sekai
11-07-10, 18:13
just wondering why do you prefer Piston over DI?

Entropy
11-07-10, 18:22
just wondering why do you prefer Piston over DI?

+1

As time has passed, we are seeing that most piston systems are not all they are cracked up to be. In fact, many of the new mid-length DI systems are surpassing the performance and durability of many of the piston systems on the market right now. Take the BCM 16" middy #14 challenge of around 35,000rds.

At this point, I would not build onto any AR platform anything other than a quality DI system.

bkb0000
11-07-10, 18:30
I'm looking for a reliable direct impingement gas piston system that will work with a Larue Tactical LT15-7. Carbine length.

I would prefer to not have to machine the LT15-7 to make the system work.

As for the front sight post I would prefer some sort of low profile gas block with the system, but it is not a must.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome.

you're definitely confusing some things here... there's not really any "low profile gas blocks" with pistons- and there's no piston that will fit under a larue handguard, last i knew.

as stated, "piston" and "direct impingement" are two different systems.. you can go "low pro" with DI, but not with piston.

you probably don't care, but pistons are:
-unreliable,
-way over-gassed, beating up your internal parts
-over-gassed because there's no DI action to assist in bolt unlocking, therefor the bolt must be forced out of battery by piston operation alone
-heavy
-inherently less accurate, due to the inability to float them
-there's zero standardization of parts
-over-priced
-people will laugh at you

RAM Engineer
11-07-10, 18:34
Best post I've read all year, bkb0000!

MistWolf
11-07-10, 18:43

People will laugh? I guess I'd better cancel that piston conversion I ordered for my new Oly

bleaman225
11-07-10, 18:47
People will laugh? I guess I'd better cancel that piston conversion I ordered for my new Oly

Hahahahahaha:sarcastic:
Look it's starting already
I realize you're kidding...

bkb0000
11-07-10, 18:49

only if you're building it to put pics up on the internet. :sarcastic:

glockkid88
11-07-10, 19:00
I find it so amazing that the gun magazines were pimping piston guns so hard just a few months ago, and already they are falling by the wayside. I am soooooo glad that I joined this forum before I bought my first ar about two months ago. Its amazing how people tell the truth when they arent trying to sell you shit!

DHart
11-07-10, 19:43
you're definitely confusing some things here... there's not really any "low profile gas blocks" with pistons- and there's no piston that will fit under a larue handguard, last i knew.

as stated, "piston" and "direct impingement" are two different systems.. you can go "low pro" with DI, but not with piston.

you probably don't care, but pistons are:
-unreliable,
-way over-gassed, beating up your internal parts
-over-gassed because there's no DI action to assist in bolt unlocking, therefor the bolt must be forced out of battery by piston operation alone
-heavy
-inherently less accurate, due to the inability to float them
-there's zero standardization of parts
-over-priced

fun time is over, ladies. pull up your pants and straighten out your hats.

:laugh:

bkb0000.... you've got a wonderful sense of humor! I love it. Not to mention a lot of useful input!

DDKJR1814
11-07-10, 22:47
Great info guys, appreciate the comments.

Wouldn't want people to laugh at me. ;)

Clint
11-08-10, 00:15
Just to add some flavor,

the standard DI system is a piston system.

There's even piston rings in there...

The piston just happens to be inline with the barrel and integral to the bolt and carrier.

And its probably about the last thing that i'd change on an AR.

120mm
11-08-10, 02:20
+1

As time has passed, we are seeing that most piston systems are not all they are cracked up to be. In fact, many of the new mid-length DI systems are surpassing the performance and durability of many of the piston systems on the market right now. Take the BCM 16" middy #14 challenge of around 35,000rds.

At this point, I would not build onto any AR platform anything other than a quality DI system.

Pat Rogers' "Filthy 14" is at 40,000 rds + and going, last time I heard.

variablebinary
11-08-10, 02:32
I find it so amazing that the gun magazines were pimping piston guns so hard just a few months ago, and already they are falling by the wayside. I am soooooo glad that I joined this forum before I bought my first ar about two months ago. Its amazing how people tell the truth when they arent trying to sell you shit!

The market got saturated with a lot of crap and basement designs. There was bound to be a huge washout eventually.

This is part of the reason why I went from LWRC to LMT. I wanted the choice of DI and piston.

With HK planning on doing HK MR556 uppers, that is bound to really hurt even more piston designs from the small makers.

Suwannee Tim
11-08-10, 03:54
Now I know why people are laughing at me!:sad:

RogerinTPA
11-08-10, 07:42
FYI: Piston = Gas Tappet, not Direct Impingement, which is normally found and is the gas system in the AR/M-4/M-16 family.