PDA

View Full Version : Is the 20" rifle gas/rifle buffer combo the most inherently reliable?

Chris17404
11-07-10, 13:11
Hi all,

I have been doing a lot of research on here on M4C before purchasing my first AR rifle. My first priority is reliability. I'm wondering if the standard 20" rifle gas/rifle buffer combo is the most reliable. If so, why? I'm thinking about picking the BCM A4 rifle as my first AR... partly for nostalgia, partly because it seems like a good place to start, and partly because I've read the rifle gas/buffer combo is very reliable... plus it's a BCM rifle. Thanks for your experience and knowledge.

Chris

BAC
11-07-10, 13:14
I don't think it is inherently more reliable, but it is more durable. All other factors being equal, the lower pressures of using a rifle-length gas system on a 20" barrel translate to longer parts life. How much longer I couldn't say and I don't think anyone's ever formally tested.

-B

SethB
11-07-10, 16:59
Yes...

Chris17404
11-07-10, 19:10
Is the rifle gas/buffer system also able to handle the widest variety of ammo... from very weak cheap stuff to the strongest NATO rounds?

Iraqgunz
11-07-10, 19:15
I would say that due to the changes in dwell time and the "smoother" operation of the system it is probably more reliable.

Robb Jensen
11-07-10, 19:17
Hi all,

I have been doing a lot of research on here on M4C before purchasing my first AR rifle. My first priority is reliability. I'm wondering if the standard 20" rifle gas/rifle buffer combo is the most reliable. If so, why? I'm thinking about picking the BCM A4 rifle as my first AR... partly for nostalgia, partly because it seems like a good place to start, and partly because I've read the rifle gas/buffer combo is very reliable... plus it's a BCM rifle. Thanks for your experience and knowledge.

Chris

Depending on the make yes. A 20" M16 from Colt/FN will run for a very long time.

Caeser25
11-07-10, 20:53
That depends on what you deem reliable? Are you trying to go the distance with minimal parts wear and keep it running a loong time or bury it in sand and still running? Carbines are harsher but more reliable imo. Replace certain parts at the correct intervals, you'll be gtg.